Helmet- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet

Apr 2009

Helmet

I have been looking for a new helmet tried fox,giro,bell didn't really like the way none of them felt but i was at wal-mart and found a schwinn trasher loved the way it felt but i'm worried about quality and how well it'll hold up in a crash? Should i get one thats less comfortabe or will i be fine with the cheap schwinn one?
    Last edited by DB_43028; 04-20-2009 at 06:01 PM.

~Disc~Golf~
    You'll be just fine with the Schwinn. All bike helmets must pass the same safety tests.
    Going with a helmet that feels comfortable is the best option - you'll feel like wearing it more, and that's a good thing
    Honestly... ahh I give up

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Highdell is correct. Any (XC type) helmet must be replaced after one crash, and they all pass the same safety tests.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What's a helment....oh you mean helmet.

Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DB_43028
    I have been looking for a new helment tried fox,giro,bell didn't really like the way none of them felt but i was at wal-mart and found a schwinn trasher loved the way it felt but i'm worried about quality and how well it'll hold up in a crash? Should i get one thats less comfortabe or will i be fine with the cheap schwinn one?
    I just got the same one, it actually fit real well.

mtbr member
    I thought style > comfort.

Apr 2009
    Can't find any reviews on the schwinn

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Im having the same problem, I havent found one that fits well yet, or as comfortable as my $200 hockey helmet, just nothing has compared. I think I might start looking at full face.

mtbr member
    Full face is fine if you are not worried about heat. I would never use a FF on a ride that I know will have lots of climbing (except in the winter...)

mtbr member
    I have a Giro that's so comfortable, however the wind roars in my ears when I go faster than 10 mph. I just crashed it and gave it a good crack. I'm not going to replace it with the same one.
    I also have a specialized King Cobra that only fits if my hair is short, which it isn't at the moment.
    What was my point...oh year, keep trying em on and get some wind on em.
    I like to ride bikes.

aka bOb
    One brand of helmet people seem to forget about are Treks. Awesome helmets for myself and the whole family anyway, but fit is very personal. They even have crash protection replacement for the first year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ill have to get around to all the LBSs and try em all on, might have to rock the hockey helmet for a bit lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have a Specialized Air force 3 that's light and comfortable. Paid about $40
    build a man a fire keep him warm for a day, set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.

local trails rider
    A helmet that does not fit is literally a pain in the .. er ... head.

Hail Satin!
    I rode my S&M BMX helmet for years until I cracked it street riding in NY (yeah 19th concussion)
    I tried every bike helmet on in ever bike shop within 20 miles. And most of them felt like my head was being rapped.
    The Bell Varient is the only one I have found that feels OK. I think I got it at a dicks, or a EMS Store.
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee
    One brand of helmet people seem to forget about are Treks. Awesome helmets for myself and the whole family anyway, but fit is very personal. They even have crash protection replacement for the first year.
    Yea!! I tried so many helmets and the only one that fitted me best was the Trek. I like the rear knob where you can adjust, doesnt look as cheap as the other ones ive seen

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I use a cheap helmet and so far it's been fine for me. I paid $22 at Target for a Bell Adrenaline. It is comfortable and doesn't bother me at all. The only negative is that the vents aren't as well designed on the more expensive helmets.

Members who have read this thread: 0