Which helmet?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Which helmet?

Dudette

Which helmet?

So it's time to get a new helmet, and I'm having trouble deciding between either a Fox Flux or a Giro Xen. Anyone out there have experience/opinions on either?
    Thanks in advance!

Super Ginger
    Feb 2008
    I want a Fox Flux...I have a Fox motocross helmet. My Xen doesnt quite sit on my head like I would like. I seem to adjust it a lot.
    2017 Orbea OIZ M20
    2018 Orbea Occam AM
    2016 Orbea Orca

I see the line
    Love my Giro Xen. It fits perfect and love the extra coverage for extra protection. Plus it is very light. Highly recommended

Dudette
    Well, so far one vote for each - I need more opinions!

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    The one that fits your head better. Really, they'll both fit differently so you need to try them.

Personally, I love my Hex. I tried both it and the Xen and actually liked the Hex better. Very rare I like the cheaper version better! Unfortunately I couldn't find a Flux to try to save my life, so I can't give comparisons.

mtbr member
    I bought my Flux couple of months ago, and LOVE it. It fits perfect, super comfortable.
    It's also on sale now on www.pricepoint.com It's on 40% off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I LOVE my flux too! Besides my Remedy, which is a full face and not comparable, it's my favorite helmet!

mtbr member
    I own both and the Fox fits my head better. But obviously this depends on the shape of your head. I think my head is more oval and that works better with the Fox. Go try them on.

Dirt Diva Little h

Xen if your head is small.

I have a xen and have tried 2 fluxs ( 08 & 09') ans they were too big. in the smallest size.
    The xen small fits great and still can get smaller. My head is 21.5". Try them on first but if you have tiny beanie like me the flux will be too big.
    Blood Sweat Girls & Gears: ECTG rules
    X-Caliber
    Intense 5.5
    Nomad
    Uzzi VPX
    M1
    DMR sidekick
    Syren
    Double

Pretty in Pink
    I use a Bell Influx 2 I love it. Bells GPS system is great.

My best advice would be to go to your LBS and try a bunch on. You want to prioritize Fit over all, features can be important too, get a helmet style that fits your riding style/area, if you live in a hot area dont get a helmet with minimal venting... etc.

mtbr member
    I used to be a diehard Giro fan and have a bunch of different Giro models (including the xen) sitting around to prove it. But I always got weird "pressure" headaches and forehead indent marks from Giro helmets no matter how I arranged the pads. Now that I've discovered the Fox Flux I'll never go back to Giro! IMO the Fox Flux has pretty much nailed the perfect xc mtb helmet-- the Flux is stable, protective and super comfortable. The rachet adjustment thingie is no-fuss, the extra length protection at the back feels... protective, and I've never noticed the Flux being too hot or anything. My head, by the way, is a little pinhead and the Flux fits me great. I didn't even try it on in advance. I simply ordered from a reputable online company with a good return policy.
    Bionically Modified

Rides with Scissors
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi
    I used to be a diehard Giro fan and have a bunch of different Giro models (including the xen) sitting around to prove it. But I always got weird "pressure" headaches and forehead indent marks from Giro helmets no matter how I arranged the pads.
    All the helmets I've had were Bell helmets... but recently the newer ones seem to give me those "pressure" headaches and forehead marks that you've mentioned.

Sorry for a bit of a hijack, but does anyone know the fit difference (if any) between Bell and Giro? Those brands are the most accessible for me to try on. Biggest thing I look for is a light color and lots of vents so my head doesn't bake. No need for a visor, I'll just yank it off ASAP (have never liked them).
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

Dudette
    Thanks for the suggestions! Problem is, I don't have any local shops that carry either helmet to try in advance, and I was planning on ordering online. I'll measure up my head tonight, but just wanted other people's opinions on what felt better to them.
    I'll let you know what I decide .

dirt debutaunte
    Bell and Giro are the same company...so it ends up being kind of funny that they are the 'two' biggest competitors. As long as I get more options out of the deal (they keep the two brands separate) I don't really worry too much.

I have (or have had) all of these helmets and like my Giro Hex the most. It is nearly identical to the Xen except it looks a bit different, has more vents, and is ~$45 cheaper (still ~$100 though).

The Flux is also wicked comfortable, but I can't stand the ratcheting mechanism in the back. It gets stuck and I end up feeling like I am going to break the plastic whenever I take the helmet on or off. The back of the helmet also fits somewhat low on my head and I find my pony tail gets in the way.

I also had this problem with the Bell Variant (a very similar helmet to the xen and flux) and found the plastic thing took up too much room for my hair to go under it comfortably (had to sit right against my neck) and there wasn't enough room for the pony tail to go above and through. The other problem with the Variant was that a small (irreplaceable) piece continually broke off the two helmets I had within months of one another, rendering the helmet useless. The rep would replace the helmet for free, but the third time he said I wasn't allowed to get that same helmet anymore (he was kidding...but only a bit). That's when I went with the Giro Hex.

The Hex is light and fit my head snugly. For some reason there is also more room for my thick ponytail/braid. The only problem is that the ratcheting systems in Giro helmets are not as nice as the Bell ones, but still nicer than Fox.

That's my two cents. Love the Giro Hex/Xen. Like the Fox.

Rides with Scissors
    Quote Originally Posted by jean-louey
    Bell and Giro are the same company...so it ends up being kind of funny that they are the 'two' biggest competitors. As long as I get more options out of the deal (they keep the two brands separate) I don't really worry too much.
    That I knew, but at one point in time the fit was different between the two. Didn't know if they'd 'merged' the fit in recent years. I haven't bought a helmet in quite a while!

Quote Originally Posted by jean-louey
    I have (or have had) all of these helmets and like my Giro Hex the most. It is nearly identical to the Xen except it looks a bit different, has more vents, and is ~$45 cheaper (still ~$100 though).

The Flux is also wicked comfortable, but I can't stand the ratcheting mechanism in the back. It gets stuck and I end up feeling like I am going to break the plastic whenever I take the helmet on or off. The back of the helmet also fits somewhat low on my head and I find my pony tail gets in the way.

I also had this problem with the Bell Variant (a very similar helmet to the xen and flux) and found the plastic thing took up too much room for my hair to go under it comfortably (had to sit right against my neck) and there wasn't enough room for the pony tail to go above and through. The other problem with the Variant was that a small (irreplaceable) piece continually broke off the two helmets I had within months of one another, rendering the helmet useless. The rep would replace the helmet for free, but the third time he said I wasn't allowed to get that same helmet anymore (he was kidding...but only a bit). That's when I went with the Giro Hex.

The Hex is light and fit my head snugly. For some reason there is also more room for my thick ponytail/braid. The only problem is that the ratcheting systems in Giro helmets are not as nice as the Bell ones, but still nicer than Fox.

That's my two cents. Love the Giro Hex/Xen. Like the Fox.
    The helmets that are most like my current Bell (that I'm looking to purchase as a replacement) would be the Giro Atmos and Bell Volt. I just don't want to pay almost $175! Haven't seen my size on clearance yet... I'll keep looking!
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

Dudette
    Well, I suppose this settles it - I measured my head last night and it's 54cm, which according to the sizing charts provided on Pricepoint for the Flux, my head is too small for the small/medium. Looks like I would have to go with the Xen. But after reading all of your opinions I'm worried about buying before I try it on. I have a Giro cross country helmet right now (can't remember the model) and I really like it. You think it's safe to assume if I like the Giro I have now, the Xen would be okay?

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15
    Well, I suppose this settles it - I measured my head last night and it's 54cm, which according to the sizing charts provided on Pricepoint for the Flux, my head is too small for the small/medium. Looks like I would have to go with the Xen. But after reading all of your opinions I'm worried about buying before I try it on. I have a Giro cross country helmet right now (can't remember the model) and I really like it. You think it's safe to assume if I like the Giro I have now, the Xen would be okay?
    I think it depends on the helmet you have now.

Is it one of the "one size fits all" or "small/medium" or "large/extra large" models? Or is it one of the models that comes in a full range of sizes?

I'd hope if it was the latter then that would be a good way to guess what size will fit you in the new helmet.

I will say I bought a medium Hex (my previous Giro was a cheaper "small/medium" model if I remember correctly). The small felt like it sat on my head rather than fitting around it. I always thought my head was pretty small, and I wonder if this size oddity is why there are quite a few reviews complaining that it doesn't actually cover more like it claims to.

Do you have an REI nearby? The ones I've been in (Ga, Ca, Co) all had Giro in stock. Most had Xen and Hex models.

Dudette
    No, I live in central NY, and looks like the nearest REI is almost 200 miles away. So I checked what model/size my Giro is and it looks like it's a women's small Skyla. It was hard to see if it's a small/medium or just a small because part of the sticker is rubbed off.
    So I guess I would go with the small Giro Xen then?

Members who have read this thread: 0