Helmet?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet?

Jun 2008

Helmet?

Does anyone not use a helmet on short commutes?
    I ride to and from my classes most days and its always less than 3/4 of a mile on VERY low use paved roads. I dont wear my helmet on these rides and I was wondering if anyone else does something similar.

Bedwards Of The West
    As long as you know that you will never make a mistake, and that anyone else who might be using those roads will never make a mistake, you're golden

Honestly, I can see myself doing that same thing if I was just blasting across campus or something. Probably not the smartest thing in the world, but if we were smart, we'd all be wearing knee and elbow pads too.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Off the back...
    I'll ride in front of my house to test installs [i.e. forks, cranks, brakes, etc.], but any farther than 50m from my door and the helmet goes on. I just feel weird without it...

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ Yeah, I never wear a helmet when I'm just checking to see if the forks might fall off
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Braaaapp!
    I can't hardly sit on my motorcycle without a helmet, feels wrong.

I can't stand riding my mnt bike more than in the driveway without a helmet, feels wrong.

I'll rock my BMX bike off a 5 foot drop to flat on concrete with no helmet. I'm an idiot, and don't know why. I even bought a good helmet for riding it, but unless I'm going to a skate park, I never wear it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I confess, I've never worn a helmet in 18 years of commuting.
    They make me sweat and I get blinded. My sweat is very acidic and there is nothing dietary I can do to change it. Every once and again I try to wear one and always the same results.
    I know, not if but when. Seems when will come a lot sooner with me wearing the thing.

I never even started my motorcycle without my helmet.
    As a TV news photog I saw way to many dead helmet-less motorcycle riders. Never saw a head injury bicycle death. Those were all fatal torso damage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I can think of no reason NOT to wear a helmet at all times when riding. Sure, people can come up with all sorts of excuses and rationalizations but they are all BS as far as I am concerned. I agree that they might make you look silly, but believe me, you will look a lot worse with your head split open by a car-door or the pavement. As for not wearing a helmet when you are only riding a short distance, my brother crashed while riding in his driveway and would have likely had serious head trauma if not for his helmet (which was destroyed). Seriously folks, how much is your brain worth? In the case of the fixe-riding helmet-less bike couriers I see downtown, apparently not much.

weirdo
    I pretty much always wear one too. Like somebody else said, I`ll pedal around the yard to check adjustments without a helmet, but that`s about it. Part of it is because I don`t want to set a helmetless example for any kids who might see me riding by, part out of habit, part just because I think it`s a good idea. Funny- I grew up riding all over town with no helmet and don`t think I ever saw a bike rider with one until I was close to 30. Honestly, I can`t say I`m convinced it`s really necessarry, but it doesn`t hurt.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    i never wear one because i alway never had the money to buy one when i was younger and now im just used to not wearing one, they seem silly on me.
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Chuck would disagree. But then again Chuck does not need a helmet. His stetson is in truth better than most helmest and alot cooler too boot.

Braaaapp!
    Lesson learned, I'll now wear my helmet on my BMX, even for short rides. Maybe a full face with some body armor.

BIG and Bald
    WOW!! Identical injuries on both sides of your face. AMAZING!!!!

Hope it looks worse than it acutally was. Helmets are a good thing.
    "Don't neever gave up..."

weirdo
    Yeah, but if you had had full face helmet and body armor you probably wouldn`t have won that cool bracelette!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I don't wear one typically. Only when mountain biking, snow riding, or on any group ride. Commuting and such I do not. Meh.

mtbr member
    Damn, as a dirt bike rider to a quad rider to a mountain bike rider....I never get on my rides with out a helmet. I use to do a voluntary patrol at a motorcycle park and a lot of injuries happened in the "I was just testing out the bike" phase..no helmet = bad news. Anything can happen at any time and if you are commuting you are trusting some idiot drivers not to take you out...all it takes is one time......this guy should be wearing a helmet---->
    What are you doing reading this? Go out and RIDE!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I reluctantly don my brain bucket as a consession to the times we live in and to set an example for my kids, who by decree of the nanny state, must wear theirs.

drinker
    Jan 2004
    30+ stitches in my head.......and now i do.

mtbr member
    Good thing you werent hurt more seriously and godspeed on the mending!!

I wear my helmet every time I am on a bike. When I was a teenager, I never wore one- and actually only owned one so I could enter local races. As I aged I realized that it doesnt really matter how "cool" you look since most people (or sheeple would be more correct) find grown adults riding bikes to be freaks anyway. I also have had the opportunity to work with children suffering from traumatic brain injuries and other issues and have come to the realization that I cannot control the countless motorists out there that basically have no clue what they are doing behind the wheel. As part of my distrust in the skills of motorists on the road I wear a helmet each time I commute. I figure there is a chance it will save my life one day and if nothing else it sets a good example for other commuters or children and makes me look more professional on the road. I also wear a bright high-viz jacket most of the time for the same reasons.

I heard a great quote once about wearing a bike helmet: "I wear a bike helmet because I value the privacy of wiping my own @$$" I tend to use that quote now and again to others. At the same time I think it is a personal choice that people need to make. I dont believe in saving someone from themselves- so if they choose not to wear one and are prepared to face the consequences of doing so then I have no issue there either.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

DPL
    Helmet Wearer
    Mar 2008
    I absolutely refuse to get on a bike unless I'm wearing a helmet regardless of the distance I'm riding. I never used to wear one until I was about 16. I always thought they'd be uncomfortable and frankly made me look a bit silly but one day a friend who was tired of my whinging brought his spare helmet and said "you ARE going to wear that". I protested but he physically wouldn't let me ride again until I put the helmet on. At the end of the day I had to admit it wasn't uncomfortable at all and I actually like the feeling of knowing my head wouldn't hit anything directly if I messed up somehow. A couple of years later I came off in some woods and cracked my helmet quite impressively. Since then I've had a very strict rule that my helmet goes on before I even unlock the bike and only comes off again when the bike is locked back up, and that's for every single ride even if I'm just checking something out. I quite like my head in one piece and as been said before, now I really can't see a single good reason for not wearing a helmet.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Always, every time I get on a bike, period, no exceptions. That includes 6 years now of running between classes on college campuses. 2min ride from one building to the next down the sidewalk; helmet on. My brain is worth too much not to; I've seen firsthand the repercussions and buried very good friends.

Braaaapp!
    I'm getting prettier today.

I didn't realize I had my Fat Tire picture in the background till I uploaded this a minute ago.

MIT Graduate
    I always wear a helmet even it's just up and down the road in our housing development testing out parts. I am way too clumsy to risk it. I use a full face helmet as well. Might be overkill but I'd rather my melon be intact when I go down!

-Impalla

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Despite all the righteous browbeating from helmet fanatics on here, I am now having second thoughts. Has anyone overcome a severe sweat condition with the added bonus of being very acidic, with regard to helmets?
    I have tried the bandana, but here in San Antonio I almost pass out from the heat on a six mile ride. Not an exaggeration.

mtbr member
    yeah on hot days my sweat burns my eyes. I havn't tried at sweat band yet. and I stupidly ride without a helmet on occasion in front of the house to check the shifting, etc.
    On the holier than thow note; I have crashed hard on my road bike and it saved my head. Also crashed several times on my mt. bike. the last event was a superman head first on a down hill. flattened the helmet. cracked the liner. I had a concussion, compressed and fractured c1, an l4 and l5. but I am alive and not a quad veg. I purchased a full face helmet for downhills and will be getting body armor and neck brace before I hit the scarey stuff again. right now any drop off over 6 inches scars me. it sprabably better that way. I probably will be wearing a helmet even for checking the bike out in front of the house.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by elvez
    Despite all the righteous browbeating from helmet fanatics on here, I am now having second thoughts. Has anyone overcome a severe sweat condition with the added bonus of being very acidic, with regard to helmets?
    I have tried the bandana, but here in San Antonio I almost pass out from the heat on a six mile ride. Not an exaggeration.
    I wear a cycling cap under my helmet if I'm going someplace where I don't want helmet hair or if it's really cold out. It does also soak up the sweat.

You can always soak a bandanna or cap in water before wearing.

And there's the soak a bandanna and tie it around my neck strategy - the evaporative cooling, especially with the amount of blood that passes through the arteries in my neck, really helps.

Are you drinking enough?

Pedaler of dirt
    In over 30 years of commuting (school, uni, office, shops) I've never worn a helmet. I've never seen any solid evidence as to the need or requirement.

But, on the mtb or at the velodrome I, almost, always wear one.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    I wear one, and I'm glad I do. My uncle had a road crash years ago, cracked his helmet, and busted out a bunch of teeth. My sister had bad road accident right in front of me a couple years back and she'd have really been in bad shape without a helmet. Two weeks ago I was hit by a car while commuting home and was definitely glad to be wearing a helmet. You never know when a maniac will hit you.

On the trail, I always wear a helmet. I've hit my head on enough stuff to not want to risk not wearing one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My freewheel slipped at the end of my block (100' from my house) while I was cranking hard around a left hander, it was amazing how hard I hit the ground (with my head). I'm glad I had a helmet on.

I'm definately for letting people do what they want, but I'm also a husband and father, and believe I should be setting a good example.

Isn't part of commuting about setting a good example? Being seen doing the right thing.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by marzjennings
    In over 30 years of commuting (school, uni, office, shops) I've never worn a helmet. I've never seen any solid evidence as to the need or requirement.
    I have buddy who lost most of his hearing in one ear when a car tagged him on his bike, that solid enough? I'm not religious about it, I'll take the 3 blocks to the grocery store lidless sometimes. But if you ride a lot, odds are that sooner or later something bad will happen, and when it does I'd prefer to have a helmet on my head. I've already tangled with a car while motorcycling, it's not a lot of fun. I've also gone over the bars and landed on my head without a helmet (commuting at that) and with (mountain biking). I recommend with.

Pedaler of dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    I have buddy who lost most of his hearing in one ear when a car tagged him on his bike, that solid enough? .
    No, anecdotal and proves nothing.

MIT Graduate

I wouldn't call it 'righteous browbeating'. He asked if people wore helmets. Some people said yes, some people said no.

-Impalla

mtbr member
    I confess, I've never worn a helmet in 18 years of commuting.
    They make me sweat and I get blinded. My sweat is very acidic and there is nothing dietary I can do to change it. Every once and again I try to wear one and always the same results.
    I know, not if but when. Seems when will come a lot sooner with me wearing the thing.

I never even started my motorcycle without my helmet.
    As a TV news photog I saw way to many dead helmet-less motorcycle riders. Never saw a head injury bicycle death. Those were all fatal torso damage.

i know of a lady who got her front bike tire stuck in railroad tracks. she fell on her head and the helmet cracked in half. helmet saved her life.

Apr 2004
    I'm not sure what you want to be proved. Are you saying there's no proof that helmets prevent injury?

Braaaapp!
    I think he's trying to stir people up. Probably doesn't believe in seatbelts, airbags, or crumple zones either.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what you want to be proved. Are you saying there's no proof that helmets prevent injury?

no im just saying that a helmet saved someones head.

local trails rider
    I figured out maybe I should get a helmet after I took a couple of "promising" spills within a few weeks. Both times it was in pretty innocent situations and only my ego was harmed. There were possibilities for worse.

Since then, I've had plenty of more spills on trails and in traffic but there's only minor scuffs on that first helmet. So far.

I have tested installs in front of the house without a helmet, but that is it... except the time a couple of summers ago when I had a brain fade and headed for the trails without a helmet. I felt seriously weird when I stopped for a break and tried to take the helmet off... and it wasn't there...

Fat-tired Roadie
    I used to wear a helmet because I always wore a helmet. Now I wear a helmet because of the one I had to throw out after I took some gauges out of it.

Of course that doesn't prove anything. But it's enough for me.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Pedaler of dirt
    There doesn't seem to be any evidence to suggest that helmets prevent major injury, whereas they can provide protection against minor injuries.

Pedaler of dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by adam728
    I think he's trying to stir people up. Probably doesn't believe in seatbelts, airbags, or crumple zones either.
    Seatbelts have been shown to save lives, both scientifically and statistically. Standard XC type helmets have not. And if you drag up that bullsh&t 85% number I'll slap you with your crappy helmet.

MIT Graduate
    Seatbelts have been shown to save lives, both scientifically and statistically. Standard XC type helmets have not. And if you drag up that bullsh&t 85% number I'll slap you with your crappy helmet.
    Then don't wear a helmet, marz. You're griping on this thread is pointless.

-Impalla

Pedaler of dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Impalla
    Then don't wear a helmet, marz. You're griping on this thread is pointless.

-Impalla
    Why pointless?The OP asked whether they should wear a helmet or not for a short commute and some folks replied yes some no. Some of the yes's added that helmets save lives in support of their yes and I countered with a no they don't.

I do wear a helmet mtbing to help prevent minor injuries and because I like to keeping developing as a mountain biker and therefore crash a fair bit.

I don't wear helmet commuting because the frequency of incident doesn't warrant a helmet and also if I do get struck by a car a helmet is of little use.

Do you only live in a world where everyone agrees with you?

MIT Graduate
    Why pointless?The OP asked whether they should wear a helmet or not for a short commute and some folks replied yes some no. Some of the yes's added that helmets save lives in support of their yes and I countered with a no they don't.

I do wear a helmet mtbing to help prevent minor injuries and because I like to keeping developing as a mountain biker and therefore crash a fair bit.

I don't wear helmet commuting because the frequency of incident doesn't warrant a helmet and also if I do get struck by a car a helmet is of little use.

It's pointless to harp on every persons post. Which you are doing. It's also pointless to say in absolute terms that helmets do or do not aid in preventing serious injury.

And what was the point of the question about agreeing with me? I am not asking you or anyone else to agree with me. I was simply pointing out that your posts in this thread are pointless and combative. You're helping to prove my point. Keep it up, genius.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well, here is my other little secret, my kids did not wear helmets.

After I saw thier ill fitting helemts rolling around on thier heads even after every attempt to adjust it to fit correctly , or seeing them self adjust, leaving only one distracted hand on the bars, I decided it was riskier to have them wear one.
    Guess what, they have made it to teenagers without one major fall. Just like all the guys on my street growing up.

We only had one major head trauma in our neighboorhood growing up.
    Poor Stan slipped off the ladder on the high dive when we were around 10.
    We never saw him again. Should he have had a helmet?

Braaaapp!

The OP asked who wears their helmets, not if they think he should or not. That's how this thread started off.

You stated that you don't see the need or requirement for wearing one, but go on to say that you wear one mountain biking to prevent minor injuries. Sounds like you feel the "need" to prevent minor injuries (as do I). As for helmets saving lives, I don't know the facts on that one, and I understand that's what you are trying to get after. But it seems like you are arguing it just to argue it.

I wear a helmet about 90% of the time I'm on a bike. If I had on my helmet Saturday I would not have gone to the ER and wouldn't be sitting here with a forehead full of stiches. I'd still be beat up, but the part of my head that hit the asphault would have never touched it. Would a helmet be life saving in that incedent? No, because I survived without one. But it would have greatly reduced my injuries, and that's reason enough for me to wear it that last 10% of the time.

Pedaler of dirt
    . But it seems like you are arguing it just to argue it.
    There's some truth in that, but also this argument around the protectiveness of helmets is an old one, where opinions are pretty well fixed and I don't see any point *****-footing around and so I come on bit harsh on this topic.

I hope your injuries heal up quickly and cleanly.

In the rear with the beer
    When I started riding I only wore a helmet in "sketchy" areas. I've learned my lesson since. Admittedly, I may not wear one on the 3 block ride to the grocery store, but should. One slip by you or someone else may make you regret the decision not to wear one.....my slip resulted in me being airlifted to the hospital, and a 3 day stay.

I forgot my helmet one day going to the trails, started to ride, but had to turn around out of pure paranoia.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    No, anecdotal and proves nothing.
    ...and statistics are all biased...right?

mtbr member
    i wear mine always when im on the trails, but if im just bumming around campus ill skimp on one, but im mostly on sidewalks or through a student union and im going pretty slow so i feel safe

if i venture to roads or pumptracks or jumps or skateparks or trails ect ect, i always have my helmet on

No-Brakes Cougar
    I'm not sure how anyone can say, with any degree of certainty that it has not been proven that helmets save lives. Ask anyone who has crashed and totaled a helmet. What would have happened had they not been wearing it? How fast was CommuterBoy going last year when he wiped out? 25MPH?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I figure that a car weighs 3000ibs and I weigh 170 A helmet might be a good idea. People do not pay attention driving and that scares me a little.(well alot).So if I can protect my brain its a good thing. Wear A Helmet Always!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lesson learned, I'll now wear my helmet on my BMX, even for short rides. Maybe a full face with some body armor.

Something about your picture seems familiar to me, but I just can't place it...
    No stitches for me, but I still don't entirely have all of the sensation back a year later. We even have the same camera...creepy.

Braaaapp!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    Something about your picture seems familiar to me, but I just can't place it...
    No stitches for me, but I still don't entirely have all of the sensation back a year later. We even have the same camera...creepy.
    Same injuries, same camera, but I can see one difference.

You can grow a mustache, I can grow 12 blonde hairs on my upper lip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Louisiana Helmet Law

It is Friday, and I tend to web browse a bit more just before the weekend. I decide to review the Louisiana Bicycle laws out of curiosity, and I find it shocking that the only helmet law, applies to only those under 12. I was always under the impression that it was illegal to use public roads without a helmet. Guess that would explain why I see so many people with out helmets, and the cops don't seem to care. I always thought it was because they were too lazy or over run with violent crimes.

"RS 32:199 Bicycle Helmets; Restraining Seats

With regard to any bicycle used on a public roadway, public bicycle path, or other public right-of-way, no parent, guardian, or person with legal responsibility for the safety and welfare of a child shall knowingly allow any of the following:

Such child under the age of twelve to operate or ride as a passenger on a bicycle without wearing an approved helmet of good fit fastened securely upon the head with the straps of the helmet.

Such child who weighs less than forty pounds or is less than forty inches in height to be a passenger on a bicycle without being properly seated in and adequately secured to a restraining seat.

Notice shall be provided in accordance with the following provisions:

A person regularly engaged in the business of selling or renting bicycles shall post a sign stating the following: "Louisiana law requires a bicycle operator or passenger under the age of twelve years to wear a bicycle helmet when riding a bicycle. Louisiana law also requires a passenger who weighs less than forty pounds or is less than forty inches in height to be properly seated in and adequately secured to a restraining seat."

The sign must be at least twenty-four inches in length and twelve inches in width. The lettering on the sign must be at least one inch in height. The sign must be posted conspicuously so that it is clearly visible to all persons buying or renting bicycles.

The issuance of a citation for a violation of this Section shall not be prima facie evidence of negligence. The comparative negligence statutes of Louisiana shall apply in these cases as in all other cases of negligence.

The Louisiana Highway Safety Commission shall provide funds to the Louisiana Safe Kids Coalition to be used for the purchase of bicycle helmets. These helmets shall be distributed by the Louisiana Safe Kids Coalition to indigent persons in furtherance of the provisions of this Section.

The provisions of R.S. 32:57 shall not apply to a violation of this Section. No civil penalties or court costs shall be assessed for any violation of this Section."

Disgruntled Peccary
    Since it was dredged back up...
    impacted with the ground, on the helmet (somewhere between 25-30mph). Knocked unconscious, and taken off in an ambulance, but ct-scans showed nothing other than minor closed head injury (a bunch of 'soft-tissue' damage throughout the abdomen and hips though). I walked (well gimped) out of the trauma unit under my own power.

Helmet damage:

pretty much shattered, if you look you can see that almost every major component cracked during the impact. Including parts on the opposite side of the helmet (I hit on the right front, you can see the back left is in fact damaged as well). I wasn't specifically commuting, but it did happen on my normal route. You can wear one or not, I'll continue to do so.
    mike

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

I probably shouldn't enter the fray, but...

There doesn't seem to be any evidence to suggest that helmets prevent major injury, whereas they can provide protection against minor injuries.
    This statement really isn't borne out by a review of the medical and scientific literature. Spend a bit of time on pubmed, and there are all kinds of studies that are counter to this.

"It seems intuitive that bicycle helmets would be an effective means of reducing head injury, and indeed helmet manufacturers and standards associations worldwide conduct rigorous tests to determine the impact absorption and other qualities of helmets. It is however, important to go beyond laboratory tests and understand whether helmets reduce injuries in the event of a crash in real‐life; hence the review by Thompson et al.(1) This review included five well conducted case‐control studies and found that helmets provide a 6388% reduction in the risk of head, brain and severe brain injury for all ages of bicyclists. Helmets were found to provide equal levels of protection for crashes involving motor vehicles (69%) and crashes from all other causes (68%). Furthermore, injuries to the upper and mid facial areas were found to be reduced by 65%, although helmets did not prevent lower facial injuries. The review authors concluded that bicycle helmets are an effective means of preventing head injury." Taken from :Inj Prev. 2007 Jun;13(3):190.
    Systematic reviews of bicycle helmet research.,Ivers R. Reference 1 is: Thompson D C, Rivara F P, Thompson R. Helmets for preventing head and facial injuries in bicyclists. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 1999. 4CD001855

In addition to the case-controlled study referenced there, there are any number of correlative studies showing that helmetless riders have a disporportionate number of traumatic brain injuries relative to helmeted riders. If you don't think a TBI is a major injury, spend a little time with a speech therapist and meet some of their patients who have lost the ability to read, do math, or perform cognitively at the level required by their jobs. An injury that makes me unemployable for life in my profession is serious in my book.

You may believe what you like about the (in)effectiveness of helmets, but there's a pretty big body of literature out there that *strongly* supports their efficacy. That's enough for me to offset the small discomfort/inconvenience of wearing one.

Peace and safe commuting to all!

Members who have read this thread: 0