Helmet?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet?

spec4life???..smh...

Helmet?

Well I made a stupid midtake when i first bought my bike. I had a 400 dollar budget and spent 475 which left no room for anything extra.

So i was stuck wearing a 10 year old skateboard helment. Now that Iv begun to climb out of the hole I was wondering if there was any recomendations for a good looking and working helmet under 60 bucks.

MTBR Member
    I have the giro indicator helmet it works well and is not very expensive...I think i picked it up for around $45-50 from my LBS but you can get it on jensonusa for $38. It has a little wheel in the back to tighten around the back of your head and of course the straps under your chin.
    Works well for the $$...

spec4life???..smh...
    that looks pretty good but kinda bulky?

which part of nc are you from, I am from there to

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just picked up a Bell Slant for a little under 60.

Very comfy helmet. I have a large skull and this helmet seemed to fit the best in the sub 100$ price range.
    Stumpjumper HT 29'er dubbed "The Frankonmuter"

On the North Shore in Minnesota
    My Blog

i have a bell influx that i like...was $60 i think.

but the reality here is that none of these suggestions will do you much good. you need to go to your LBS or local outdoor store (rei) and find one that fits. everyone's head is shaped a little different and the size of each helmet may fit differently on different people...and what may work for us may not work for you. when i got mine i tried on at least a dozen different helmets, and then went back and forth between two that felt better than the rest before deciding on the best one for me.

also....that doesn't mean you have to buy it at a marked up price from that LBS...you can always get the name of the helmet and size, and then froogle it to get the best price.

spec4life???..smh...
    Well thanks for the help folks but i ran across this and bought it cause it looked like a great deal and all the reveiws looked good (Giro Havoc)

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...voc-Helmet.htm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The havoc is a very nice helmet. I have one, but don't wear it as much now that I have my Fox helmet. Giro makes some good helmets. They all protect your noggin and the important thing is you are smart enough to wear a helmet. I just want to hit people in the head when I see them on the trails with no helmet on! I keep an extra one with me in the car so if any friends come with me I make them wear it. Who cares what it looks like. I know I won't when I hit the stones along the trail after doing an endo, I will just be glad my head isn't splattered all over a sharp stone.

mtbr member
    I went from a Havoc to a Fox too. My Havoc has served me well for 3 years but the salesman had me fitted to a medium. That was fine if I didn't want to wear my Headsweats under the helmet!

If I hadn't had that issue I would still be wearing the Havoc......
    Don't talk back to Darth Vader or he'll getcha!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spec4life
    Well thanks for the help folks but i ran across this and bought it cause it looked like a great deal and all the reveiws looked good (Giro Havoc)

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...voc-Helmet.htm.
    Exactly what I bought myself for Christmas. It's a great helmet, and if you buy the 2007 model, you can't beat the performance for the money.

OnTheTrailAgain

I just picked up a Giro Encinal myself.
    Had a good helmet discussion here:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/helmets-help-me-426999.html
    But I think I'm going to get a Havoc myself too because it's "for" mountain biking specifically
    (where's the Encinal is a more all purpose helmet [road/mountain/etc...]).

Superficial reasoning?
    The Encinal is great, has great reviews and everything,
    but the matte black finish of the Havoc matches my Opie matte black finish perfectly!
    LOL!

Last edited by 2ndgen; 06-28-2008 at 10:13 PM.

Old Dude
    May 2008
    I picked up a 2007 Bell Influx at Nashbar for about 35 bucks. This replaced my vintage 1990 Bell lid - Black with Yellow neon stripes and aftermarket (!) visor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I got a Bell Xray for $40 at the LBS and really like it. The fit is what sold me on it, tried them all on and liked it best, plus it was a steal for the price!

What could go wrong ...
    I am on my second Giro Havoc ... good fit and lots of vents and good price
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    is there anything wrong with the $20 helmets they sell at costco?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by labtec
    is there anything wrong with the $20 helmets they sell at costco?
    They have a lot less ventilation than these helmets people are talking about=they make you hotter. They meet the same safety standards, though.

mtbr member
    That is the thing about helmets is they all have to meet safety requirements the rest comes down to fit, comfort and style.
    Most LBS's have low cost solutions that can get you going till you have the cash to get a better helmet.

OnTheTrailAgain
    From my research, I'd say that $40. is a good starting point.
    Something that has to be considered with the lower quality brands
    (even if they say they meet crash requirements) is the materials used.

Is your helmet going to have an odor in it from poor chemicals used to make the foam?

I say this because I found these $2. caps for my work crews.
    Beautiful I thought...I'll outfit my crew and we'll all look professional.

However, the caps would stink once one would sweat in it.
    They'd have to be washed everyday and even then they would stink a bit.

However, I came to learn that a good quality cap didn't need to be maintained as much.
    Also, they held up much better than the cheaper ones.

I've found this to be true of just about anything. Cars, clothing, materials and yes...bikes.

A cheap crash approved helmet is better than no helmet any day.

One might get luck and find a quality helmet on sale for $20.

But I've come to believe that $40. is the entry-level price for a helmet that should last you a good year of regular use.

May 2008
    I, too agree with fit first, then style within your budget. I went from a 12 year old Bell (what was I thinking keeping it that long?) to a Havoc in Jan. I took a few nasty spills 2 weeks ago in Downieville and one ended up leaving a turtle shaped mark on a redwood from my head/helmet. The helmet fit great and stayed in place, protecting me while I was testing the rubberside down is better theory.

I bought another and when i get the replacement, I'll have a spare to loan.

the Havoc fits my head very well. The Fox... not so much. It just didn't fit, or I may have bought it instead.

Members who have read this thread: 0