Headphones/Helmet combos.......Worth it??- Mtbr.com
    yeah, uh............bikes

Headphones/Helmet combos.......Worth it??

I've been looking at different types of helmets with build in speakers or headphones for a while now, but I'm just not sure if the sound quality is there. Now, I'm not expecting there to be much sound quality, but I'd like to be able to hear the music if I shell out some money on one of these helmets.

I've seen a few snowboarding helmets with the "ear flap" headphones and I'm really considering the Azonic helmet for street or cruising riding.

there's only one review on the azonic, so does anyone else have one and like/dislike it????

mtbr member
    I got an Azonic for Xmas. The sound sucks and its heavy.

7hz
    Old newbie
    I have a different brand (Mace Solo) of this type of helmet, but I bet they are made in the same factory.

The sound doesn't just suck, it is perhaps the WORST sound I have ever had the misfortune to hear. No bass, in fact no sound below about 700hz, no treble, no volume, it's bad, bad, bad. Worthless and unusable, certainly for music, but maybe also for just speech!

The helmet is heavy (not the end of the world, but...) and has very little cooling, which means sweat running down my face :-(

The only good thing is it seems a tough, thick, large helmet with a good inch of foam, maybe better for rock climbing than bike riding!

huh, so far I'm not exactly being convinced to buy one of these. The only reason I'm interested in one of these skate type lids is for the music, but if that's no good.............

7hz
    Old newbie
    You would be better trying to find a combo of earplugs / helmet that works for you. Even then, I wouldn't recommend doing this as the isolation that music + earphones gives you isn't so good if you need to have your wits about you (to hear trafic, hear your bike, hear other cyclists etc). Of course, I thought that it would be a 'cool' thing to have muzac whilst riding, but since the helmet was such a dissapointment, I have also realised I want to cycle to get away from electrical stuff and noise etc, so I personally won't be going down that path soon. My bike ticking along and the birds singing is all the music I need :-)

banned
    Suck suck suck.

I have tried several.

I use regular Ipod earbuds and a remote volume control. I love it and it is economical on the battery usage. I don't need birds when I ride, I need Hatebreed and Qotsa.

I don't want this helmet for trail use, I've tried listening to music while trail riding and can't do it, screws with my pace and flow too much. When I road ride (yea, gotta keep the gut in check) I listen to music with one ear bud on my curb side ear because I like being able to hear the car that may be about to kill me.

I thought this helmet thing would be good for having some music without losing all other hearing.

Sweep the leg!
    Are you high? Speakers in a helmet? If you need to listen to music while you ride, go to your nearest health club and have a seat on the stationary bikes.

I'd have more respect for you if you taped a ginormous boom box to your back and rode with that.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

hey, f*ckhead
    read my other replies and shut the f*ck up.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    hey, f*ckhead
    read my other replies and shut the f*ck up.

Love don't hate.

Members who have read this thread: 0