• 08-30-2009
    jmallory
    Hard going back to a half helmet
    Don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but recently I bought a full face and don't want to wear my half (XC) helmet anymore. I feel so unprotected with it on. I wear the XC helmet to ride up, and then switch to full face for the downhill. A couple times I put the XC helmet on half way down and wish I just wore the full face. Anyone get this feeling?
  • 08-30-2009
    KAHAIKAPU
    i think if i could find a light yet breathable full facer .id use it to do x country rides fot the extra protection..
  • 08-30-2009
    NovakanX
    I feel quite safe in my Pro-Tec helmet....good back of head/upper neck protection. Ever try one of those? I use a full face for MX, and I suppose I would for true downhill riding, but I don't ever feel in danger of smashing my face mountain biking....smashing your elbows and hands is far more likely to happen i think.
  • 08-30-2009
    jmallory
    It just seems like any helmet will protect the back of the head. The front is what I am worried about on steep, fast, rocky trails as my riding gets faster and faster.
  • 08-30-2009
    dulyebr
    I ride with a Met Parachute. Had a bad accident (non-bike) where I lost my front teeth. After spending a small fortune on my new grill it was either wear a mouth guard or find something with a face guard. I went with the Parachute and really like it. I've gotten a few sh!ty comments from people who I guess are upset with how it looks. Maybe they feel it looks retarded, but [email protected] 'em...
  • 08-30-2009
    boomn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dulyebr
    I ride with a Met Parachute. Had a bad accident (non-bike) where I lost my front teeth. After spending a small fortune on my new grill it was either wear a mouth guard or find something with a face guard. I went with the Parachute and really like it. I've gotten a few sh!ty comments from people who I guess are upset with how it looks. Maybe they feel it looks retarded, but [email protected] 'em...

I had to do a google image search to remember which helmet that is. Unfortunately this one of the first results. Now that my memory has been refreshed, that link above matches what I remember hearing: it can provide some additional protection over a normal xc helmet, but it is not even close to a substitute for a real full-face helmet. Maybe you already knew that, but it couldn't hurt to remind
  • 08-31-2009
    Jet Fuel
    As my riding gets more aggressive I am wearing my full face helmet a lot more. I still wear my XC helmet, but sometimes the full face just seems to be the correct choice. All it takes is one bad crash and it saves you!
  • 08-31-2009
    andy85
    i dont think i'd go back to half helmets... just not worth the risk of having your jaws smashing into some rocks...
    The first time i wore my 661 evo carbon to a trail with only a few good bumps, i thought at first it was an over kill. All was going perfectly then about half way through was slippery 3ft rocks decending........... slipped.. Head went down first hitting the cheeks/jaw part right on solid rock. I was so glad i had wore it that day... From this day i found its better to over kill to protective gear than not.