• 04-09-2007
    MrRoo
    Got some shoes, now what do I need?
    I purchased these shoes

    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=26119

    and now I want to setup how they attach onto pedals, what do I need to do this?
  • 04-09-2007
    Timeless
    Well if you do not have the clipless pedals yet you will need those and those will come with the cleats you need so you should be good.

    If you already have clipless pedals you will need to order some cleats to go with them.
  • 04-09-2007
    FlatFender
    I have those shoes. I like them

    As stated, all you need are some clipless pedals and cleats, and some time to get them dialed in just right.
  • 04-09-2007
    MrRoo
    Sweet thanks! I have read and searched the forum about what pedals to go with and I think I am going to go with some egg beaters. Would I need shims with these shoes or does that depend on the brand? Whats a good brand to mix with the shoes I got? Thanks!

    PS: I got those shoes because they were on sale at the LBS for $30!!! Couldn't pass that up :)
  • 04-09-2007
    ScottJensen
    i have thoes shoes, and there F&*&^% ing up my feet. ned advice on what to get instead
  • 04-10-2007
    Timeless
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MrRoo
    Sweet thanks! I have read and searched the forum about what pedals to go with and I think I am going to go with some egg beaters. Would I need shims with these shoes or does that depend on the brand? Whats a good brand to mix with the shoes I got? Thanks!

    PS: I got those shoes because they were on sale at the LBS for $30!!! Couldn't pass that up :)

    I think that all depends on the cleat that comes with the pedals. I am not a fan of the egg beaters since they just do not look like they could take a hit and not get bent up. That and zero plateform at all to speak of.

    I personally am a huge fan of the Shimano M520. For me they have treid and true to me. I have put them though hell and they still worked great. They are a great start pedal. Hell when my last one set of m520 got lost in the garage after being beat to death over the year I replace them with a new set. I just a huge fan of Shimano pedals. But everyone has the pedals they like the best.
  • 04-10-2007
    Al_UK
    Pedals are a very personal choice and people just love to argue which are the best ones!
    New pedals will come with their own cleats which will bolt to the bottom of your shoes.
    I have used a few different types of pedal over the years and my favorite at the moment is the Shimano M545. It's a regular SPD pedal with a platform around it for stability and protection from rocks etc.. If you aren't used to using clipless pedals then this may be the best choice for you.
    The cage also allows me to ride my bike with regular shoes for quick trips out (usually to the pub). :thumbsup:
  • 04-10-2007
    shiggy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Timeless
    I think that all depends on the cleat that comes with the pedals. I am not a fan of the egg beaters since they just do not look like they could take a hit and not get bent up. That and zero plateform at all to speak of.

    I personally am a huge fan of the Shimano M520. For me they have treid and true to me. I have put them though hell and they still worked great. They are a great start pedal. Hell when my last one set of m520 got lost in the garage after being beat to death over the year I replace them with a new set. I just a huge fan of Shimano pedals. But everyone has the pedals they like the best.

    Do not judge a book by its cover. Eggbeaters can take a hit, do not bend easily and do not need a "platform."
  • 04-10-2007
    jabpn
    When you do finally get setup to ride put an appropriately sized allen wrench in your pocket when go for the first ride. You will inevitably need to move the cleats around until you find a spot that just "feels right". You may or may not need shims. If there is a LBS that has the Lemond LeWedges system, or other, give that a try.
  • 04-10-2007
    Timeless
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shiggy
    Do not judge a book by its cover. Eggbeaters can take a hit, do not bend easily and do not need a "platform."

    that can but I also read review after review here that stated that they took a rock and bent up one of the side leave only 1 out of the 4 spots that you could still clip in. but it was also mostly on the low end edge beaters made out of weaker material so it is a lot easier to get destoried and the design is just fairly weak for taking a hit so mix with weak materials it going to get damaged.
    As for the complete lack of a platform there are times I ride my bike to get some where and I just wear my street shows. With a small platform can at least ride. That or to the new to clipless it gives them at least something to ride on if they do not want to clip in.
  • 04-10-2007
    shiggy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Timeless
    that can but I also read review after review here that stated that they took a rock and bent up one of the side leave only 1 out of the 4 spots that you could still clip in. but it was also mostly on the low end edge beaters made out of weaker material so it is a lot easier to get destoried and the design is just fairly weak for taking a hit so mix with weak materials it going to get damaged.
    As for the complete lack of a platform there are times I ride my bike to get some where and I just wear my street shows. With a small platform can at least ride. That or to the new to clipless it gives them at least something to ride on if they do not want to clip in.

    I have been using Eggbeaters since they came out and 2/3rds of the guys I ride with use them. I have seen one--ONE--with a bent wing, and that was the cheapest stamped model, not the better cast ones. Plenty of scars on mine. Still work fine.

    Street shoes and Eggs are a non-issue. Not what they are meant for. I have other bikes to ride with street shoes, though I have ridden short distances on the Eggs with soft shoes--not a big deal if you are careful.
  • 04-10-2007
    gunfodder
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MrRoo
    Sweet thanks! I have read and searched the forum about what pedals to go with and I think I am going to go with some egg beaters. Would I need shims with these shoes or does that depend on the brand? Whats a good brand to mix with the shoes I got? Thanks!

    PS: I got those shoes because they were on sale at the LBS for $30!!! Couldn't pass that up :)

    I have those shoes, and am happy with them. I had to use the shims that came with my Mallets to get the cleats to fit.
  • 04-11-2007
    MrRoo
    Thanks for the help guys! I went with the Shimano SPD platforms, i love them :)