Got a cheap helmet?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2004

Got a cheap helmet?

If you're using $30 department store helmet, do yourself a favor and pick up a decent helmet at your LBS. I just bought a Bell Influx for $60 and it's the best upgrade I've ever done, so much more comfortable--and lighter--than my old helmet. Ir's really, really, worth it to spend a few more bucks and get a helmet that really fits. Really.

Please don't flame me for stating the obvious...there's probably somebody out there as dumb as I was who might benefit from this post.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    If you're using $30 department store helmet, do yourself a favor and pick up a decent helmet at your LBS. I just bought a Bell Influx for $60 and it's the best upgrade I've ever done, so much more comfortable--and lighter--than my old helmet. Ir's really, really, worth it to spend a few more bucks and get a helmet that really fits. Really.

Please don't flame me for stating the obvious...there's probably somebody out there as dumb as I was who might benefit from this post.
    Depending on where you buy, $30 - $40 bucks can get you decent helmet. I have Bell Aquila which I got for $35. It's got nuff vents to keep my head cools and decent retension system so fit isn't a problem (the 05 now has a dial in retension system).

One of the reason, I stick with lower cost (not really lower end) helmets, is that I don't have to deal with the hassle of going thru the crash replacement policy. They're cheap nuff to simply go out, get another one and ride.

Feb 2005
    a $35 helmet is going to protect as well as a $99 helmet will but what you do get for the extra $$$ is better fit and better venting. I like the Louis Garneau helmets because they are about the same prices(40-199) as bell/giro but are made in North America and the spider lock system really hold your head well. I am currentlly ride with an Envoy.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by applegreenheckler
    a $35 helmet is going to protect as well as a $99 helmet .
    Yes and no...I have been saved from a consussion(over the bars face plant) by a $30 lid, so no question they do offer protection. But when the chinstrap gets loose on my cheap helmet, that thing slides all over my head. I guess I could stop and tighten it every half hour or so, but I don't.

The strap on the new helmet does loosen up over time, but it fits so well that the helmet still stays put. I feel a lot safer with the new helmet, and it's so comfortable I always wear it for commuting, rarely did before. So in crash tests the two are probably about the same, but in the real world the better helmet is safer, for me anyway.

I agree that a cheap helmet can protect you, I'm just saying it's worth it to spend a little more.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    Yes and no...I have been saved from a consussion(over the bars face plant) by a $30 lid, so no question they do offer protection. But when the chinstrap gets loose on my cheap helmet, that thing slides all over my head. I guess I could stop and tighten it every half hour or so, but I don't.

The strap on the new helmet does loosen up over time, but it fits so well that the helmet still stays put. I feel a lot safer with the new helmet, and it's so comfortable I always wear it for commuting, rarely did before. So in crash tests the two are probably about the same, but in the real world the better helmet is safer, for me anyway.

I agree that a cheap helmet can protect you, I'm just saying it's worth it to spend a little more.
    What was your previous helmet? I don't think you would have problem with straps on major manufacturer like<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comBell </ST1</st1:City>or Giro. My <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1Bell</ST1</st1:City> has a nice anti-pinch strap that I haven't adjusted in months.<O</O