Got the bike and helmet, what else do I need?- Mtbr.com

Jul 2006

Got the bike and helmet, what else do I need?

Had my bike for a week now, been riding daily. Next month I'm going to start hitting some easy trails with a friend of mine.

Besides the bike and helmet, what else do I need? for the house and to take on the trail?

What kinds of tools/accessories will I want to do basic mainentance and repairs?

I've been reading through alot of forums, but for a newbie, I'm not sure what things are "essential" and what are "just nice to have".

I've been thinking about buying a floor pump w/gauge to have at the house and a mini-pump to take on trails. Also been thinking about buying a Topeak Multi-tool.

mtbr member
    the mini-pump and multi-tool are a must if your gonna be riding trails. topeak makes good pumps and multi-tools. you'll also want to carry some extra tubes, tire levers, and a patch kit for when you get a flat. you should also get a hydration pack if your gonna be doing long rides so that you can carry enough water and all your bike gear.

for the house a floor pump is good idea, also always have some chain lube and grease handy. if you want to work on your own bike then you should consider buying a bike stand. you can get basic tool kits that include allen keys, cone wrenches and other bike related tools for around $50 from most online bike shops.

make sure you buy some type of gloves for riding, i like full finger gloves. gloves are a must!

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=4218#
    http://www.ebags.com/backpacks/hydra...N=4001+2008891

A little south of sanity
    Jun 2006
    Well I am also new to the sport, I bought the bike, the helmet then went to my LBS and got some gloves, there are posts here about gloves cuz there are diffrent kinds, full finger and open finger types for example. I bought the full fingered because I like the control ( and not sweaty slippery grips and brake levers. a good investment as far as tools go is a good multi tool form your LBS, I have a crank brothers one and it has done everything I've needes thus far and is easy to cary with on rides. ( I usualy cary that and a little wrench). the air pump is a good idea, I dont have one as of yet. also you will want some grease for your chain and such I use " White Lightning" wich is avalible at most LBS. there isa million and 1 things people will tell you you need or you should get, but thoose that I listed are some of the basics that will make your riding experience a good one.

Jul 2006
    full finger are good i find fox and mace are the best. mine are mace and have little air holes all the way tho them. there a little heavy tho thats what my friend said and he uses fox and he loves them

I wear two thongs
    I like carrying something with my contact information on it too, because in the horrible event that something goes really wrong its easier for emergency technicians to know who you are if you have some sort of Identification on you.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

Jul 2006
    I have a Camelbak Hawg, I do alot of hiking and snake/invertebrate hunting and I've used it for that as well, the Hawg is perfect for me.

Thanks for the replies, I've got some direction on what I'll be getting in the next month or so.

Que pasiones?
    Helmet, tools, spare tube, inflator, camelbak, patches and maybe kneepads.

luck
    sorry my english isnīt very good, do you speak spanish?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Get an electric air compressor (i get flats) for the shop.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac58
    I have a Camelbak Hawg, I do alot of hiking and snake/invertebrate hunting and I've used it for that as well, the Hawg is perfect for me.

Thanks for the replies, I've got some direction on what I'll be getting in the next month or so.
    gloves, a multitool is good too, i just picked up a crankbros one. how much did you get your hawg for and from where?

A little south of sanity
    Jun 2006
    the Cammelbak's are awesome, I got mine off of pricepoint.com, a last years model cammelbak Mule and it was only like 45 bucks to my door. as far as the gloves I have a pair of Fox gloves thata re full fingered, very comfortable and grippy. hope that helps you some

local trails rider
    Gloves to protect your hands
    Multitool for some basic adjustments and tightening stuff
    Spare tube, pump, tyre levers, patch kit for the times when you have a flat
    Some way to carry water and the tools etc.

Mobile phone in case you need help

Separate tools, like metric hex keys, are nice at home. So is floor pump. You might need a shock pump for adjusting the suspension (depends on what you have)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    depending on how much you're gunna be riding it would probably be worth investing in a camel back water resevoir. whenever people at the bike shop ask me what else they should get besides the bike and helmet, i say "are you going to ride further then you are willing to walk back?" for the people that say yes i hook them up with a mini pump or the the co2 pumps for the tech guys. a spare tube and a simple multi tool.

MONKEYMAN
    another vote for gloves. The first thing you are going to do in a crash is put your hands out in front of you to help break your fall.

I also forgo the patch kit and just carry an extra tube and one of those cO2 carts. I don't get flats hardly ever and its just easier/faster with a fresh tube and a blast of the gas.

mtbr member
    It would also be a good idea to include your blood type on that little card. One of those things you hopefully will never need, but is good to have just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hoefer
    I like carrying something with my contact information on it too, because in the horrible event that something goes really wrong its easier for emergency technicians to know who you are if you have some sort of Identification on you.

Jul 2006
    how about a mini first aid kit?

Members who have read this thread: 0