Goretex Pro- Mtbr.com

Thread: Goretex Pro

mtbr member

Goretex Pro

Gore Bike Wear ONE Gore Tex Pro jacket review - Mtbr.com

Sounds great, but at $500USD I'll never find out for sure.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yeah, if I could ever stomach paying that much for a jacket I would never wear it while riding a bike!

Elitest thrill junkie
    In our experience in the cold, "breathable" and "waterproof" do not go together, if it actually worked, it would be a first. In our experience, any time you start to exercise, any kind of "hard shell" is quickly overpowered by your body heat and sweat. Soft shells are usually the way to go and any kind of hard-shell is saved for straight rain, where you're going to be miserable no matter what, only slightly less soaked possibly than you would be if you had a soft shell. Usually for light rain and light exertion, these kinds of jackets can be ok, but hard exertion on a bike is similar to running and it's difficult in any condition to put on a hard-shell jacket and go run, you just don't get rid of heat and water vapor fast enough.

Of course, like I said, for light exertion or just miserable rain, a hard shell could be the way to go, but at $500, yeah, I'll pass, just like these specialized pants that have a recco body-recovery reflector in them, it's just plan dumb: https://gearjunkie.com/reviewed-spec...-fat-bike-gear

Even though we were in avalanche country a couple days ago riding, it was early in the day where there wasn't really any chance of glide cracks and everything was solid and there's basically no way recco is going to do anything for you, it's just body-recovery...at selected ski resorts.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You guys don't do snowsports, huh? That price is easily the upper tier of outter wear for snow stuff, goes higher actually. That latest gen Goretex Pro is nice stuff, amazingly light and packable while still retaining the performance of the earlier stuff.

mtbr member
    I never got the hood-over-helmet thing. Why not put the hood on your head under the helmet?
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I never got the hood-over-helmet thing. Why not put the hood on your head under the helmet?
    ^^ airflow.

$500 jacket is ridiculous unless you live somewhere that you'd use it a lot... like a daily bike commuter in Seattle or something.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    You guys don't do snowsports, huh? That price is easily the upper tier of outter wear for snow stuff, goes higher actually. That latest gen Goretex Pro is nice stuff, amazingly light and packable while still retaining the performance of the earlier stuff.
    I do snow sports. I don't buy $500 jackets.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    How loose is your helmet? Mine fits and there is no way I can wear a hood under it.

A rain jacket is something I seldom wear on the climbs, just too hot & sweaty. On those days when we're too stupid and stubborn to stay home, I'll throw it in my pack, perhaps with a dry merino LS top. Change clothes at the top, and be pretty comfortable on the way down. Soft-shell for most rides, and an EMS Helix Neoshell (cheap, on sale) for real rain.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Formerly of Kent
    Or just get a helmet cover...?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    why would anyone spend that much on an mtb jacket? don't get me wrong, I have no problem spending money if it makes sense for the purpose. I winter/snow back country camp and hike and have some very expensive clothing. That being said, I am not expecting to fall, and if I do, its not at high speed and I will be on snow. I cant begin to explain how mad I would be if I was wearing a $500 jacket on a bike and went down on the trail and ripped it to shreads...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Conventience, fit, the helmet strap. I buy $500+ jackets/pants for snowsports, but on closeout/sale.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I ripped a Gore Pro jacket right across the back a few seasons ago while skiing. All you can do is laugh at that point. "Welp, looks like I'm heading back to work to pay for a new jacket." I have an old Sombrio Vapour jacket that appears to resemble a stretchy garbage bag more than anything else. Good for wearing at WBP and when shuttling. I got tired of all this rain so I ordered a 7Mesh Revelation jacket on sale. If the fit is correct, I'll see how that goes on both road and trail. If the fit doesn't work I'm unsure what I'll do as the cost of one at full price or an Acre Supply jacket is too high.

It appears the Gore and 7Mesh jackets are almost identical. Both have a 3L Pro and a ShakeDry model for this season. Gore Bike had some less expensive (WindStopper and the like) jackets a few seasons ago. Clearly the money is in über-expensive 3L Gore.

Be interesting to see when someone releases a Gore 3L C-Knit jacket for cycling

Members who have read this thread: 1