Gore-Tex Socks?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Gore-Tex Socks?

mtbr member

Gore-Tex Socks?

My over-shoe covers still aren't quite warm enough for the sub-freezing temps, and this has me thinking about warmer socks. Anyone tried these gore tex socks? They have two versions, the waterproof and the windproof. Same price, but I'm thinking the waterproof version would be great for muddy cyclocross days.

Also, I'm a size 11 which is between a Large or XL, any sizing input is appreciated. Thanks

The Punk Hucker
    What overshoes are you using? I just received BBB Hard Wear moments ago through the mail and expected to be more insulated. They look fine but wouldn't expect them to be enough past -10 celcius...
    Beware the hucking bear!

nocturnal oblivion
    I have a pair of gore-tex socks, they're great for loose-fit leather snow boots. I've never used them on the bike, they are a shell material and are not stretchy like a normal sock. Any close fitting footwear such as spds will probably be uncomfortable with a ton of bunching.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Helmetless Crasher
    I would just bite the bullet and buy a good winter shoe. I used to use neoprene socks, but they affect fit/comfort too much and did not breathe enough. I just bought the shimano mw81 gortex shoe and could not be happier. No need to keep track of special socks, just put the shoes on and go. Very waterproof and comfy.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

psycho cyclo addict
    Last year was the first my feet started feeling cold in the winter months (3-4 hour trail rides when the temp is in the teens or 20's, they start feeling cold after an hour or two). I recently bought a pair of Wigwam weathershield outlast socks from Nashbar Wigwam Weather Shield Outlast Socks - Normal Shipping Ground

I rode 13mi total (5 to work and 8 home) on a 28 degree somewhat windy day wearing shorts, the socks, Lake I/O SDL sandals and a couple shirt layers. My feet never felt cold. Might be worth trying a pair out. They are bulked up around ankle which I suspect is part of their success for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I rode 13mi total (5 to work and 8 home) : on a 28 degree somewhat windy day wearing shorts

No Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    I have a pair of gore-tex socks, they're great for loose-fit leather snow boots. I've never used them on the bike, they are a shell material and are not stretchy like a normal sock. Any close fitting footwear such as spds will probably be uncomfortable with a ton of bunching.
    I have the GORE Bike Wear version of the socks and they are a little stretchy. To the OP I would recommend trying them on if you can before you purchase so you can get the size that fits the best.

They work great for keeping your feet dry during creek crossings and such in the winter time. They are not optimal in heavy rain since the water runs down your leg and fills them up.

They work OK for keeping your feet warm but in real cold you will need something additional.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I would recommend them, I haven't worn the Gore-Tex socks but I have been issued Gore-Tex jacket, boots, gloves, and pants. If they are anything like the rest of what they offer it should be a good choice.

mtbr member
    I used to have a pair. My feet would quickly get sweaty then chilled. I'd recommend a wool sock with a chemical toe warmer for warmth. +1 on the real winter shoes/boots, too. Once I sucked it up and spent the money I couldn't believe I put up with shoe covers for so long...

rider
    Jan 2005
    I have had good very good luck with the Gore-Tex socks. The trick is to either have oversize shoes or use a thinner sock when using them. Since they do take up a bit of room inside your shoes if you do not compensate for this your foot circulation will be compromised and no amount of insulation will keep you warm.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03