Good XC Race Shoes- Mtbr.com
    I like to ride my bike.

Good XC Race Shoes

I have used high-ish end Shimano shoes and 661 shoes. The 661's didn't last very long and the Shimanos are one and a half years old and are pretty beat up right now. I had an older pair of Shimanos that I was really happy with, but I outgrew them.

I'm curious about some other brands. The Mavics look pimp, but how is the durability, stiffness, comfort, etc.?

Sidis are obviously pretty common, but from what I've heard they are quite pricey and don't last too long.

Bontrager RXL's?

What else?

Thanks!
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sidis don't last long? That's news to me. I have the Dragon model and Dominator model. Both models are solid and can take a beating. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Specialized BG Pro or Sworks.

nothing is as good for me. i have used sidi, answer, shimano, etc.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The Mavics are a very nice shoe. Light, stiff and a very good fit.

Catharine has one pair that has maybe 600 hours of riding in them and they are still in good shape.

mtbr member
    I've read some cross guys like the new Mavics. I like Shimano and Sidis. Specialized might be worth a look too. You'll have to try them on for yourself.

mtbr member
    The higher end Mavic shoes are great!! These shoes are actually made by Adidas (at least that is what my LBS told me).

For the lower end, I thought the Shimano shoes where more comfortable. Unfortunately there were no Sidi's for me to try on so I don't have a comparison to these.

mtbr member
    Specialized SWorks are awesome. The 2009 model is going on sale at some Denver shops now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    Specialized BG Pro .....
    + 1 on these! I completely destroyed a pair of 661 Flights in two months - the BG Pros are 6 months old and still perfect!

Fat-tired Roadie
    My Sidi road and Sidi MTB shoes are both almost ten years old. I think the durability complaints are directed toward the soft-compound soles on some of the expensive ones lately. I don't have personal experience of those, but I think they're interchangeable with a harder-wearing sole, so you could just change them if they wore out too quickly.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    any sidi w/ a carbon sole. but i have found just about any carbon soled shoes work for me. unless your a cross racer. but carbon soles are nice.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Gaerne, I have been wearing them all year and are nice and tight. I also where there mx boots, which are very nice and very durable. These are the one I bought.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=36407

Members who have read this thread: 0