Good, walkable shoes for platform pedals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good, walkable shoes for platform pedals

I just moved to a place where the terrain is super rocky and technical and riding with clipless on some the stuff I am doing is pretty iffy. So I am going to switch back to platforms, but don't have any shoes for them. I used to use 2003 Adidas Adventure light hiking shoes, which had a decent grip on the pedals and which were great for sections where you have to walk the bike or bail or whatever, but the Adventure line of shoes has been turned into a glorified gym shoe that's not up for what I will put them through. Vans and their ilk needn't apply.
    I need something tough, and walkable, and with good grip. If it is a cycling specific shoe with clipless comaptibility, then all the better.
    Thanks for your advice!
    Tim
    _

Never worng!
    I'm seriously considering getting a pair of football shoes with molded rubber cleats.
    They're on sale now in the $30 price range.

Mar 2004
    I use a pair of $19.00 Wal-Mart hiking boots on generic platforms with allen-bolts. They don't slip at all.

Never worng!
    I went to Dick's this morning and bought a pair of Nike Land Shark Mid football shoes.
    They were on sale for $34.99.
    Rode through the woods nearby for an hour.
    Worked pretty good with my platform pedals.
    Came home and changed pedals. Put caged pedals on went out and rode the same course and........wow!
    Worked great. Feet really held in place on the pedals over bumps, downhill etc.
    The cleat design on the shoes is a straight pattern that fits just right on the pedals.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    I just moved to a place where the terrain is super rocky and technical and riding with clipless on some the stuff I am doing is pretty iffy. So I am going to switch back to platforms, but don't have any shoes for them. I used to use 2003 Adidas Adventure light hiking shoes, which had a decent grip on the pedals and which were great for sections where you have to walk the bike or bail or whatever, but the Adventure line of shoes has been turned into a glorified gym shoe that's not up for what I will put them through. Vans and their ilk needn't apply.
    I need something tough, and walkable, and with good grip. If it is a cycling specific shoe with clipless comaptibility, then all the better.
    Thanks for your advice!
    Tim
    Pretty much any light hiking boot/shoe will work fine.

Clipless compatible cycling shoes are not as good. They can be too stiff to grip well on the flat pedals.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

ride hard take risks
    661 Dually been bike a hiking with these for about 4 years.
    Or check out the Launch that can use SPD.
    http://www.vsportgroup.com/bicycle.aspx

Members who have read this thread: 0