Good shoes with thinsulate/primaloft? Similar to 510 EPS series- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good shoes with thinsulate/primaloft? Similar to 510 EPS series

I always have cold toes, even in the summer. I was out riding my bike around yesterday with the kiddo, normal shoes, nothing fancy, but had some super thick wool socks on and still ended up with chilly toes when we got home.

I had heard good things in the past about the 510 Freerider EPS as far aw warth went, so I started looking for a "non-winter" type of shoe that has either thinsulate or primaloft. Something that is more geared to cycling is ideal of course, but from my searches, there aren't too many.

Who was experience with such shoes? how are they for casual cycling, short trail rides? And any recommendations.
    I saw some Vaude's that looked good, but my size is out of stock. Also saw a Converse Chuck Taylor w/ Leather/thinsulate, but same thing, not much in stock.
    I'd be open to trying the 510, a few left in stock at a few places, but the faster wearing sole (or so I've heard) has me a little suspect.
    Silly bike things happening.

mtbr member
    In my experience, shoes need to have enough room for insulation and to not restrict circulation. Thick socks are good as long as there's plenty of room in the shoes for them. If you put thick socks on in shoes without enough room, they get compressed and lose much of their insulating properties, and your feet get squeezed and the blood circulation cut off. Thinsulate etc are all good as long as there's enough room in the shoe.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have the 510 Freerider EPS. My toes still get cold in them when it's down in the 20s/teens & I'm out for more than an hour, so I put toe warmers in, and don't have any more problems with cold toes. No problems with sole wear after 2 seasons of use; I use them exclusively on the bike though, not much hiking around.

mtbr member
    Yeah, my shoes & thick combo still have plenty of room. I was leaning to it being the shoes themselves as most shoes have a fair amount of ventilation with little extra insulation. I might look around and see if I can still find the 510 EPS, otherwise, I've come up with some "non cycling" shoes that might work, but they are definitely more all-arounders and maybe won't be the best to ride in.
    EKEL, that is good info, I think that is my target range, warm to the 20's, after that I'd probably end up wearing my actual winter boots.
    Silly bike things happening.