Good shoes & platform pedals?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Good shoes & platform pedals?

I've been riding with SPDs for a while... but I know my skill level is not as good as it should be. I'm considering doing some rides with platforms.

What defines "good shoes" and what is a good platform pedal?

Hardwarz

Riding or Fishing
    5 Ten Impact shoes and Wellgo b-37's.
    Like glue!
    Not a ton of flex in the show, enough grip to hike a bike, and almost too sticky on the pedals. Love em

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz
    I've been riding with SPDs for a while... but I know my skill level is not as good as it should be. I'm considering doing some rides with platforms.

What defines "good shoes" and what is a good platform pedal?

Hardwarz

The most important part about "good shoes" ris you want a shoe with grippy, non-skid soles. The 5.10 shoes mentioned by the previous post have a proprietary "Stealth" rubber sole, which is the same that is used on 5.10's rock climbing shoes. But any "quality" light hiker with a non-skid sole should be OK, or even skate shoes like Van's. The difference is you want to keep a level of stiffness to the sole (like with MTB shoes) and for that reason, the Vans wouldn't do it for me. I personally ride with a pair of light-weight low-cut hikers from Vasque and they are OK (they have a Vibram rubber sole)

Regarding the pedals, you want pedals that have pins on them, preferably the threaded kind. The pins should be replaceable, so you can get new ones as they wear down. The pins are what dig into your soles and prevents your foot from slipping. You actually can get "stuck" to the pedal so well, you'll find your foot in the wrong position during your ride.....and putting your foot down in the correct position takes practice.

My pedals have a combination of threaded and non-threaded pins. On my pedals, only the threaded pins can be replaced, but I like having the non-threaded on there so I don't get "stuck" to the pedal too easily.

edj
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

mtbr member
    I personally ride with Half Cab Vans. Combine those shoes with some good platforms and your feet will not move
    1.. 2.. 3... 4...........FIFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!!!

Rollin' a fatty
    Shoes, easy 5.10 Impact

Pedals, TBC or Wellgo have worked really well along with the 5.10s for me

Members who have read this thread: 0