Good shoes (NOT clipless) for riding?- Mtbr.com
    SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008

Good shoes (NOT clipless) for riding?

I'm looking for some good shoes (NOT clipless) for riding with plat form pedals and am having trouble finding any. Many seem to be low quality and most don't fit at all.

I have approximately size 12D (or a tiny bit wider) but my feet are thin as measured top to bottom (thickness I guess you could call it)....and my big toe is a good half inch longer than my next longest toe. Yes, I have trouble with all shoes...and usually have to pay more for shoes to find quality shoes that fit. Any suggestions please?

EDIT: Could use some recommendations for a good set of platform pedals with sealed bearings too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~
    THese look interesting:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=25241

EQUIPMENT - LO PRO MAG 2 PLATFORM PEDALS

ORDER STATUS
    FAQ
    Product Image
    Magnifying Glass Enlarge in All Colors
    Second generation magnesium pedals from Specialized have new, oversized, heat treated Cr-Mo spindles and adjustable spin resistance.

* Low profile Magnesium pedal body
    * New oversized heat treated Cr-Mo spindle features improved wrench flats and an 8mm Allen key axle slot
    * Concave body for superior grip
    * 4-bearing design includes 2 cartridge, 1 needle and 1 bushing
    * Adjustable spin resistance with removable O-ring seals
    * Replaceable Allen head bolt-style traction pins
    * Super durable powder-coat finish
    * Weight: 17.5 oz / pair

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~
    AND so do these:

http://www.straitlinecomponents.com/products/pedals.php

Pedals
    We set out to design a superior pedal, and we delivered!

Our pedals are produced from a custom extruded aluminum alloy, to provide a very high strength-to-weight ratio. We machine them to exacting standards to improve both the feel and the life expectancy of the bearings. We cut no corners, or should I say we cut all corners. All edges are chamfered to allow mud to push through more easily, as well as adding to the outstanding aesthetics.

The spindles ride in widely spaced proprietary polymer bearings that not only weigh less, but run smoother, quieter, and longer than typical bearings. The bearings require no lube, are impervious to water, and are double-sealed at both ends to prevent dust from infiltrating.

>> Watch IGLIDE Bearing Video <<

Our pedals are also very low profile. This, combined with the forward leaning design, provide a very stable and efficient pedalling platform!

Technical specs:
    12mm CrMo
    14 stainless steel traction pins per side
    9/16-20 thread (mtb standard)

Weight:
    w/CrMo spindle - 518g/pr
    Last edited by Natedogz; 05-12-2008 at 10:59 PM.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

Oct 2007
    everyones going to tell you 510s.

i use clipless shimano shoes with platforms. its many many times better than riding in running shoes or another soft soled shoe.. but every time this ever comes up everyone just recommends 510's.

local trails rider
    If you have trouble finding non-biking shoes that fit, finding shoes that fit you for biking might be even more of a challenge.

First thing, go through any local shops that might sell skateboarding shoes. Look for stiff soles and fit.

Mar 2007
    shimano makes some good freeride type shoes, and as far as good platforms, i used 5050 and loved em. the bontrager king earl's were awesome for freeride and dj.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Back in the 80s we all wore Vans with the waffle pattern tread with our platform pedals on our BMX bikes.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2015 KHS Sixfifty Team
    2019 Salsa Warbird
    2019 Canyon Endurace
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    I like Skechers with velcro straps.

mtbr member
    Vans X2

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    everyones going to tell you 510s.

i use clipless shimano shoes with platforms. its many many times better than riding in running shoes or another soft soled shoe.. but every time this ever comes up everyone just recommends 510's.

5.10's are the best platform shoe out there. All of my freeride/dh buds wear them. Marzocchi sells their version of the same shoe. The rubber is the same as rock climbing shoes. Very tacky sticky.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have the same size foot and toe problem, get vans size 13 wafflecone
    bottom, they're cheap, sometimes 2 for the price of one and gots tha stylee...
    Also use kona jacksht primo pedals, they're heavy, cheap feel good and stick.

May 2007

This is how I roll...

Feb 2004

Try these...

I've had really good luck with these over the last few years riding these with paltforms. Nice sticky sole with a wide comfortable cut...so comfortbale that I wear them for off-bike time. Awesome shoes. I realize that the like does not have your size available, but you can google these an often find them on sale. I think the last pair I bought cost me about $35. They also make a stiffer non-sticky sole SPD version if you are interested and versions in low-tops...a bit less protection and less weight .

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...d-f18b7fc501fa

TLL

Apr 2008
    Pedals: Wellgo MG-1's.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    I have Vans with the waffle pattern. The pins on my pedals fit in the holes and they stick very well.
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

Mar 2008
    I wear Vans as well (Authentic). My husband also wears Vans- although I'm pretty sure he's going clipless soon.

This guy
    i used to use a pair of newbalance running shoes, great grip and good protection overall
    RIDE

Mar 2007
    I Bought A Set Of Pearl Izumi Xalp Enduro's And They Would Work Great For Non Clipless And Should You Ever Want To Transition, All It Is Is A Couple Of Screws. And You Can Even Change Back Should You Decide.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    If you have trouble finding non-biking shoes that fit, finding shoes that fit you for biking might be even more of a challenge.

First thing, go through any local shops that might sell skateboarding shoes. Look for stiff soles and fit.
    That's what I thought....crap....

Vans tend to squish my little toe and rub the outside of my big toe, because of how they taper the front of the shoe in on both sides. And they are anything but supportive in the sole area....too flexy imo....but...

Bullitt44777, thanks for the suggestsion, I'll try the size 13...may do the trick with my toes getting squished.

Strykar, those Pearl Izumi X-Alps look nice...these look nice too

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...uct_id=1236132

Yzingerr, I'm using a pair of New Balance 989 at the moment, and alternate with an old beat pair of Red Wing 6618 - Mens - Oxford in black...good support, durable...don't look too cool with bike shorts though...LOL

http://www.redwingshoes.com/productd...px?prodid=1449

Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    5.10's are the best platform shoe out there. All of my freeride/dh buds wear them. Marzocchi sells their version of the same shoe. The rubber is the same as rock climbing shoes. Very tacky sticky.
    5Ten BA5IC looks like it might fit well...can't seem to find a retail store that carries them. I hate mail ordering shoes due to fitment issues and side by side fit comparisons. Guess I'll have to start calling all the bike/skate shops and shoe stores in town. Went to a couple yesterday and they don't really have alot of different fitting shoes. So many of the shoes are just the same basic design and last.

Quote Originally Posted by spearchucker
    Those look nice...New Balance Men's MT800 Trail Shoe

Moonrise rascal, those might fit me from the look of them.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 05-13-2008 at 11:43 PM.

Trying a little
    um, don't listen to them. get these. trust me, you'll be so much happier

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    um, don't listen to them. get these. trust me, you'll be so much happier

I already have two pairs, one black and the other pink pair that I got from you.

Dirt Huffer
    I am also looking for a set of shoes for platforms. I found the 5.10s to be too wide and very heavy. They do grip like crazy glue though. I guess im looking for something sleak and light weight that grips well but not quiet as well as the 5.10s (i like to move and adjust my feet from time to time)

mtbr member
    I've been riding the nike air whistler for the last year or so and they've been good to me. They fit me well, just the right amount of traction, and the sole is nice and stiff. Seems really durable too. My only complaint is that it's really padded and can get hot. I do a lot of xc riding in them and while they aren't terrible, i would like to have something a little more lightweight and breathable.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brassnipples
    ....They fit me well, just the right amount of traction, and the sole is nice and stiff. Seems really durable too. My only complaint is that it's really padded and can get hot. I do a lot of xc riding in them and while they aren't terrible, i would like to have something a little more lightweight and breathable.
    I agree, too much padding on some of these shoes makes them very hot and they don't really 'fit' my feet. Breathable is a big plus.

squish is good
    I would have to agree, if you don't like the 5.10's go for a skater style shoe with a flat sole.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    vans - me too, i like the mid models with a insole like sole or superfeet.

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    I bought a pair of Merrels with Gore Tex and a vibram sole for riding. They have these features:

Merrel shoes - very comfortable
    Vibram sole - a bit stiffer and durable sole, with a good tread pattern for gripping the pedals.
    GoreTex - waterproof but breathable. The only way I get a soaker when crossing streams/etc. is if the water goes in over the top of the shoe. Even then, the shoes allow moisture to escape so my feet will quickly dry if I'm wearing appropriate socks.

Bonus is they are just good all-around shoes that I can wear on a simple hike, or at work, or on the 'streets'.

I am a GoreTex whore - practically every sporting article I have has this fabulous fabric in it somewhere.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Well the only Vans that fit were The Whip or one that looked just like it...low top and the tongue had so much padding on it that when I laced it up properly it felt like it was crushing my foot....how the **** does anybody like this?

Going to some different stores tomorrow. Nobody seems to carry the 5.10 low top shoes anywhere except online.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Merrell Moab Ventilator low top fit quite well.

http://www.merrell.com/Product/NZGP/...entilator.aspx

Too bad they didn't have the Moab Mid to try on in my size, kinda like the ankle protection and support when hiking and biking.

http://www.merrell.com/Product/NZGP/...lator-Mid.aspx

Anbody ride with mid or high tops? Riding with sport sandals? The sandals don't seem like a good idea though.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Merrell Moab Ventilator low top fit quite well.

http://www.merrell.com/Product/NZGP/...entilator.aspx
    Bought them at REI for $75 + tax, fit great! Thanks for all the help guys!

Am going to try the mid version when they are in stock in my size, for hiking and biking.

Members who have read this thread: 0