Good quality riding gloves?- Mtbr.com
    Just Ride.

Good quality riding gloves?

So my (now 6th?) pair of Dakine CrossX gloves is starting to fall apart and I figured I should try something different.

I've been very happy with the CrossX's - good balance between durability, protection, and comfort/feel. I also own a pair of Dakine Ventilator gloves - they're great for hot weather XC but far too delicate for freeriding or heavy daily use. I work as a mountain biking instructor so I'm riding for 8-9hrs Mon-Fri as well as on weekends for fun, so I need something that lasts!

Any recommendations for solid, good quality freeride gloves that will last?

bikes are people too
    I'm not a huge glove guy, and haven't tried very many pairs, but I've been more than satisfied with how Mechanix gloves work for MTBing. I've had a pair of the original ones for about 6 years now (seriously) and they are still in decent shape, aside from a couple small holes in the palm. Earlier this year I bought a pair of Mpact gloves for AM riding, and they are holding up just fine.

I don't think either of the gloves are meant to really protect your hands, though the padding in the Mpact pair has saved my knuckles a few times. Plus, they're relatively cheap ($20 for original, between $25-$30 for Mpact).
    2009 Santa Cruz Chameleon
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 4
    1973 Schwinn World Sport (Fixed)

mtbr member
    I have big hands so finding the right gloves/grips combo is a nightmare.

I've tried Odi locking grips (sucked)
    Ergons (ok so far)
    every variation of stock Specialized grips

So far the best combo I've found are Fox Racing Motocross gloves and the Standard Size Ergon grips. The GP1's.

Jason
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.X
    So my (now 6th?) pair of Dakine CrossX gloves is starting to fall apart and I figured I should try something different.

I've been very happy with the CrossX's - good balance between durability, protection, and comfort/feel. I also own a pair of Dakine Ventilator gloves - they're great for hot weather XC but far too delicate for freeriding or heavy daily use. I work as a mountain biking instructor so I'm riding for 8-9hrs Mon-Fri as well as on weekends for fun, so I need something that lasts!

Any recommendations for solid, good quality freeride gloves that will last?
    I'm don't wear gloves very often. What I did was took an exsisting pair of Mechanix brand Pro Fit Impact protection work gloves and cut the fingers off of them to the first nuckle. They're made pretty well with protection on the top of the hands and nuckles. Works for me.

By the way... you have the worlds most perfect job. How the heck does a person get a job like that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i also just usually wear fox motorcross gloves.
    Jamis parker 1
    K2 ZED 4.4
    trek TR40

mtbr member
    In my experience, Pearl Izumi and Fox make long lasting, quality gloves. On the other hand, stay away from Adidas.

Caca pasa
    Been wearing these for a long time. Almost the perfect glove, and $12 at Home Depot.

"합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I use the mehanix gloves. I have the impact protection glove and it looks brand new after two or three seasons now.

mtbr member
    I would recommend, Oakley Factory Pilot Gloves. I have had a pair for around 4 years now, and there still going strong, when all the other gloves i have had are long gone.
    There not cheap, but they have been well worth the money, i will be getting another pair once my current ones are needing replaced !

http://www.oakley.com/catalog/produc...w-leather-palm

mtbr member
    I have found that the mechanics gloves at the big box stores are perfect mt bike gloves. I can't remember how many so called biking gloves I have gone through over the years. Seems like they have a planned obsolescence built in, while my generic gloves just keep on rolling.

Probably drunk right now

^^Agree^^

Quote Originally Posted by palerider
    I have found that the mechanics gloves at the big box stores are perfect mt bike gloves. I can't remember how many so called biking gloves I have gone through over the years. Seems like they have a planned obsolescence built in, while my generic gloves just keep on rolling.

Agree. Less expensive mechanic's gloves work really well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    I use the mehanix gloves. I have the impact protection glove and it looks brand new after two or three seasons now.
    I have those same gloves, but have gone through 2 pairs so far this year. I get them for $6 a pair, so it isn't so bad. $18 for 3 pairs on ebay.
    '19 Surly Krampus '18 Soma Wolverine '16 Giant Anthem SX '12 Soma Analog SS '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    I have had a great pair of Fox Dirtpaws for a couple years. Even wore them through a couple winters in Nebraska and they have held up great.
    Don't talk back to Darth Vader or he'll getcha!

mtbr member
    I use Pearl Izumi gloves and they've been great for a couple of years now. All kinds of weather and sweat. They were a little expensive though - around 30 bucks.

plasma donor

Nimble enough for indexed shifting, warm enough for sub-zero, and inexpensive.

https://www.sportsauthority.com/prod...LAID=280305651

..quite rightly
    REI sells Novara gloves that are good. My favorites are West County work gloves, altho they aren't made for cycling.

Don't be hasty.
    Jun 2007
    My Pearl Izumis have lasted 2 years so far.

Members who have read this thread: 0