Good pedals, shoes for clipped and unclipped riding?- Mtbr.com

May 2004

Good pedals, shoes for clipped and unclipped riding?

Hi all,

What is a good pedal and shoe combination for both clipped and unclipped riding? Right now, I'm using eggbeaters and Shimano Sidi carbon shoes, but forget about unclipping and riding around with this combo. Your suggestions are appreciated.

L8er

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Mallets...

if you like the Eggbeaters. They have a good platform with 2 different heights of "spikes" for more or less traction while unclipped. For shoes try something with a lot of rubber on the sole. My shoes have very smoth plastic type soles with very little traction and I have difficulty unclipped especialy when I'm in and out alot.

Mar 2004
    I've got a pair of 661's Launch shoes (basically a skate type shoe with a stiff sole and cleat mount, if you never seen a pair) and Shimano M646 pedals. My only other experience of SPD pedals is a pair of M515's, which are very similar to the 646's but without the cage/body.

The extra platform on the 646's is good, but I'm not convinced so far that riding clipped/unclipped is really viable when things get sketchy because the cleats are positioned exactly where you'd naturally put your feet anyway, so you tend to clip in at inopportune moments without even trying, unless you set your spring tension really high.

Atomlabs have a new pedal due next month called the Quikstep (I think), which has a wider flat pedal style body - complete with replaceable screw-in pins - and a cleat retainer section that sinks down inside the pedal body if you're not clipped in. I don't know if it'll fix my problem with putting my feet on the cleats and clipping in regardless, but at least it'll provide an actual flat platform for unclipped riding, which is something I've not seen any other pedals provide so far. You could try them when they come out.

jrm
    mtbr member

2nd set of pedals

like a flat with a toe clip or strap.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Best unclipped clipless pedal is the Crank Bros. Mallet without a doubt. Easy in, easy out, and with the two different cage spike lengths you can set it up for whatever works for you. For a shoe, I would look for something with a lot of sole, or a more traditional shoe vs. a hard plastic sole so the cage sinks into the rubber for maximum stability when unclipped on the pedal. No specific shoes to recommend, but look for something thats hike-bike or downhill vs. XC most likely.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

Jan 2004
    What about the Time Z pedals? are they any good?
    -Sam