good mtb shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: good mtb shoes

mtbr member
    May 2004

good mtb shoes

Im looking to get new shoes since the ones that i have are falling apart on me (specialized (forgot model name) - great shoes but its time i retired them).

Im looking for something in the low $100 range and something that is durable since im hard on my equipment. A buckle at the top instead of velcro is a huge plus because i like the shoes pretty tight and eventually the velcro will wear out (which is what is happening to my shoes).

Anyone hear anything about the Specialized BG COMP MTB SHOE? http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEq....jsp?spid=12749

Any other suggestions?

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I've gone through a couple of pairs of shimano 180's. Fit my foot very well with a little more room in the toe area which I prefir. Their relatively stiff, but still walkable if the need arises.
    They have a buckle on top for a good fit as well. Shimano has upgraded them for 06, might be a better shoe if you don't mind looking like the tin woodman from the wizzard of ozz. (all silver, ugh).

Actually, all shimano's top line shoes are mostly silver now, I'l be looking elsewhere for my next shoes

I like to ride my bike.
    Your link is not working. But, yes, I too am looking at shoes in the $100 range. I think that I tried on the BG Comps or whatever they were and they were super stiff and felt great. Seemed like great shoes. Going to wait til by B-day and get em as a gift. If not those, these..... http://store.airbomb.com/Itemdesc.as...148&link=qbike The 05 model at my LBS was $109.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

I like to ride my bike.
    Your link is not working. But, yes, I too am looking at shoes in the $100 range. I think that I tried on the BG Comps or whatever they were and they were super stiff and felt great. Seemed like great shoes. Going to wait til by B-day and get em as a gift. If not those, these..... http://store.airbomb.com/Itemdesc.as...148&link=qbike The 05 model at my LBS was $109. ( specialized)
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    The Specialized BG Comps look like a good shoe and Specialized make good shoes, but you could also check out the SIDI Bullet 2 - although only 3 velcro closures they are SIDIs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I have 2 pairs of bg comps, great shoes. I have a pair of 05s size 45, I need a 44 or 43.5 anyone want to make me an offer?
    I wore them on 1- 6 mile ride
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=12902
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dan0; 03-27-2006 at 09:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEvEnDuSt717

Anyone hear anything about the Specialized BG COMP MTB SHOE? http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEq....jsp?spid=12749

Any other suggestions?
    I'm pretty happy with my MTB Comps. Use them for both bikes with Frogs. Nice wide toe box, ratchet on the top buckle, decent tread and toe spikes if you want them.

About a hundred bucks.

...the wave won't brek
    I have the Specialized Comp MTB Shoe and I just love them.

My old shoes made my feet hert, these I could ware all day (except the fact that they don't bend)

If you are interested in this shoe, make sure the store allows you to spin in them for a bit before you purchas them because the BG Vargus Wedge causes some people knee pain.

The last thing you want is a pair of shoes you hate
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    I like shimano and adidas. Sidi absolutely suck now.
    Rule of thumb- 1 Lb. costs 2 sec. per mile of climb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisty
    Sidi absolutely suck now.
    Why is that?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by anthrax
    If you are interested in this shoe, make sure the store allows you to spin in them for a bit before you purchas them because the BG Vargus Wedge causes some people knee pain.

The last thing you want is a pair of shoes you hate

I already own a pair of specialized shoes ( i think the sport version...one of the lower end models) and I really like them in terms of comfort - i think these already have the wedge thing in it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderInTraining
    Why is that?
    The soles are garbage. If you use eggbeaters you have to us backplates on the cleats because you can feel the pedal pushing through the sole. The knobs on the tread are partially hollow and they are so soft they gouge easy. These are Dominator 5's Im talkin about too.
    Rule of thumb- 1 Lb. costs 2 sec. per mile of climb

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SEvEnDuSt717

Any other suggestions?
    I've got a pair of those, and they're very comfortable - I like them alot. However, I've only had one season on them, and there's a hole in the mesh upper that's only going to get worse.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Specialized shoes

I have a pair of Specialized Comp shoes. They fit well and were a steal at $29. My only real criticism is the hard plastic outer sole. Those soles are very slick on pedals when unclipped. It seems Shimano, 661, Answer, Adidas, and some very expensive Specialized have a softer, grippier outersole.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Anyone use Sette shoes...my Nike are ready for retirement...out shopping! Thanks!

mtbr member

2 rides in on Specialized BG Comps

I've got about 40 miles on these shoes. To me, they have a stiffer platform then my previous Shimano's. The shoe is very comfortable and has more lateral stability (my foot feels less likely to roll over when walking on rocky surfaces). They seem very durable but it's too early to tell. The top ratchet gives a solid fit without any hotspots. A steal at under $100, got mine for $85. Good looking shoe to top it off
    I can see myself wrecking and ruining but I can't stop myself...

Members who have read this thread: 0