Good mountain bike shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Good mountain bike shoes

What is a good pair of mountain bike shoes (clipless) that would be a good first pair of shoes and under 100 smackers?

I have flat feet and I know that regular shoes are horrible for riding mountain bikes and after riding even 20 miles on a paved path my feet kill me because no shoes I have have a stiff midsole to protect my flat feet.

Ride Instigator
    I'm liking my Lake MX165s a helluva lot. Nice shoe for riding and great if you have to get off and walk too. I think I paid around $100 for them.

AKA Dr.Nob
    Just go to a bike store and see what they have in stock. There are 2 styles of shoes, the racier style and the hiker style. Work out which you want and start looking. There wont be much of a difference between brands at the lower end of the price range, just make sure they fit.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricko
    I'm liking my Lake MX165s a helluva lot. Nice shoe for riding and great if you have to get off and walk too. I think I paid around $100 for them.
    I love my MX165s. Sort of half way between racer-boy and hiker with a great Vibram sole.

Retail is a bit over $100 but worth it, They can be found for less online, but it is impossible to size correctly over the 'net.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I love my MX165s. Sort of half way between racer-boy and hiker with a great Vibram sole.

Retail is a bit over $100 but worth it, They can be found for less online, but it is impossible to size correctly over the 'net.
    Yeah, I'm glad I got away from the racer boy type shoes with the the hard as rock soles that you can't walk in. I took a REALLY nasty flop one time walking across a wet wooden bridge while wearing that type of shoe. Those Vibram soles on the MX165s are the cats meow, also a sturdier shoe that offers some protection should you bang your foot on something on the trail.

MX165 is probably a little heavier shoe then the racer type but I see it as hitting the crank with a bigger hammer...plenty capable of doing damage .

President, CEO of Earth
    Fit is your most important concern. I don't know about you, but a regular pair of running shoes or work boots lasts me a year before they REALLY need replacement. Mountain bike shoes last me 4 or 5 years. If the shoes are not comfortable then it's a major pain in the butt... er... feet.

Also, if you wear orthotics for your flat feet make sure you get shoes that you can fit the orthotics into.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have orthotics. I know if the shoes have a good plate in them then I can ride shorter distances without my orthotics. Hmmm a doctor friend of mine who bikes says he has a pair of sidi's and that they are a little wider so you can fit heavy socks in cold weather and orthotics if you wear them.
    Might try those.

mikeb
    **Just go to a bike store and see what they have in stock. There are 2 styles of shoes, the racier style and the hiker style. Work out which you want and start looking. There wont be much of a difference between brands at the lower end of the price range, just make sure they fit.**

this is good advice.

Ultimated Outsider
    Specialize make sells some good shoes at different price points. They also have a way for you to measure your flat feet so that you can put in one of the special body geometry footbed in there shoes that cure the flat feet problem with riding shoes.

Members who have read this thread: 0