good lighter/softer flat pedal shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

good lighter/softer flat pedal shoes?

im looking for some biking shoes as it tears up my skate shoes pretty quickly. I've been looking at 5.10's but they as well as most bike specific shoes seem like they are very stiff and bulky. id like something stiffer than a normal tennis/skate shoe, but not like big planks with no flex or feel. Im a very "feely" rider with everything i do, i dont like feeling disconnected. so any reccomendations for something kinda in between a skate shoe and a full on stiff DH shoe?

mtbr member
    I am trying out the 5.10 Freerider (my 1st MTB platform shoe)
    I chose them over the Impacts due to reports of a more forgiving sole.
    So far, I am pleased with the amount of flex they afford. A bit tiring after 30 miles or so,
    but overall, a sticky shoe that doesn't feel like a 2x4 strapped to your foot.

74 & 29 pilot
    5.10 Spitfires should fit the bill.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    These shoes work great for me. While it doesn't show it, the middle can be removed for cleats should you go that route in the future
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

Good, green, Oregon.
    I just went through this myself, and I ended up deciding on the Teva Links. They are supposed to be lighter than the Impacts, not quite as stiff, offer slightly less traction (possibly a good thing?) and were about $35 cheaper. My buddy has the Impacts and he likes them a lot. His only complaints are the bulk (he is an 11.5 after all), and too much grip in that he has to lift the foot from the pedal to readjust....which could be a good thing too. I'm sure they are pretty close, but I just went with the Tevas. I guess I'll see how they do when they arrive!
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

T.W.O
    I have Freeriders. They are pretty light while still offering a stiffer sole for support. The baron I have heard is one of their lighter (if not lightest) flat shoe.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've been very happy with my Shimano AM41's. The AM stands for All Mountain. I've got about 150 hours on them and absolutely no wear and tear. Super comfy from day one and are more comfortable than my basketball shoes.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    5.10 Spitfires should fit the bill.<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/27shlk6" vspale=0></iframe>
    <iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/yz4gjyd" vspale=0></iframe>
    I agree

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    How are the 5.10's for distant riding? Currently wearing my trail running sites which stick to my platforms like crazy but they don't breath much.

Members who have read this thread: 0