Good Helmets?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Good Helmets?

May 2009

Good Helmets?

im going to be doing XC riding, city and dirt jumping. What is a good helmet to look into getting for the type of riding im going to be doing. Might be a stupid question but im just wondering. I will delete this thread once a get a response. Thanks

mtbr member
    just find a helmet that fits your head properly. cheap helmets are just as safe as expensive ones, the more expensive helmets just have more vents and are lighter weight. if your serious about dirt jumping you might want to get a helmet that provides a bit more coverage like a bmx style helmet or even a full face helmet.

Walmart Bike Member
    pro-tec

http://pro-tec.net/bike/helmets_overall.html

i got a protec classic off jensonusa.com for 25.99 after price match, i hear the ace is more comfortable then in the classic though, the classic is a 2 impact helmet then its done.

May 2009
    i have a full face helmet that came with my atv that ill prob use when doing xc but i just need something for round town and jumping

Dirt Deviant
    Helmets are a preferance/fit thing. You need to try several on to find the right one.
    I like Bell helmets. Most of them fit my head perfect.
    Giro makes good stuff, but I have found them to be pretty shallow, seeming like they fit high on my head. Funny, because they are the same company.
    I do like the Giro Remedy for my full face helmet, that fits nice.
    For my regular everyday do it all helmet I use a Bell Variant. Great helmet.
    Try before you buy. The internet is a bad way to purchase a helmet.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TREK_RIDA
    i have a full face helmet that came with my atv that ill prob use when doing xc but i just need something for round town and jumping
    A full face for xc? is this a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Try before you buy. The internet is a bad way to purchase a helmet.
    +1

Almost, if not as important as bike fit.

May 2009
    I REAALLY like my specialized tactic. I have a big head, and it fits without issue. None of the Giro's or bell's felt right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Love my Fox Flux! I've also used Giro/Bell, and Specialized.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Go anywhere that sells helmets. A bike shop may give you more variety than say Wal-Mart. Find four or five different helmets that are in your price range. Try one on, make the needed adjustments so that it fits you properly, then wear it around for a few minutes. If it's comfortable then buy it. If not try the next helmet. That's what I did and after trying on a few helmets I went with the Specialized Air Force 3. Decently light and good ventilation. $40. As another post stated, they're all safe regardless of price. They're rated by the same agency, Snell I think and there is another that I can't think of right now. I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding something comfortable in you price range.
    build a man a fire keep him warm for a day, set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Members who have read this thread: 0