good helmet for a n00b?- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

good helmet for a n00b?

guy at the LBS suggest a specialized "air force" so i snagged it up with a little discount.. it feels really bulky and wont stay snug and im thinking thats not a good thing.......
    im not going to be doing any speed racer road riding or anything.. i just want something that wont make me sweat to death and to put a little something between my skull and the rocks, but this helmet just seems weird (too thick?)

is something like this just crap? http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/114...let-Helmet.htm

thanks in advance for input, its great finding somehwere with such helpful people for us annoying newbies

ps im trying to keep it under 50 if possible.....

digs bikes
    Jun 2004
    the mullet you linked to looks like it will broil your head- it doesn't have very many vents. and unfortunately, for 50 bucks you will probably have to settle for something a little bulky. If you're worried about how your helmet feels and looks, go to a shop and feel and look at some helmets.

Mar 2004

Nashbar?

Quote Originally Posted by xrussox
    guy at the LBS suggest a specialized "air force" so i snagged it up with a little discount.. it feels really bulky and wont stay snug and im thinking thats not a good thing.......
    im not going to be doing any speed racer road riding or anything.. i just want something that wont make me sweat to death and to put a little something between my skull and the rocks, but this helmet just seems weird (too thick?)

is something like this just crap? http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/114...let-Helmet.htm

thanks in advance for input, its great finding somehwere with such helpful people for us annoying newbies

Every nashbar catalog that lands here has a couple page of deeply discounted helmet in their blowout pages. Every helmet sold is basically equally safe and has passed the same tests.
    Try wearing a thin sweat band under your helmet if it fits loose.
    Another thing you can do, if your helmet doesn't have a "roc loc" type of deal that Giro introduced and everybody copied to keep the back end snug, is to sew or zip tie the rear straps together an inch or two below the back of the helmet, this helps keep it from tilting forward. check out giro helmets to see how it works.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Get the $39 Giro from Jensonusa.com Great helmet for the price noob or not.

May 2004
    1. Giro Animas .......Performance Bike $49
    2.Giro Eclipse............$39
    3. Bell Ukon.............$29
    4. Bell Ukon 03............................$19

Take your pick and 20% OFF WITH COUPON 6000366

Your welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 2003
    Personally, I think the main thing is to make sure it's a comfortable fit, so wear it before you buy it. My hair hasn't caught fire for lack of air vents yet, so I really don't think the difference between 24 or 27 air vents is a big deal.

Take your pick and 20% OFF WITH COUPON 6000366
    I assume that coupon code is reusuable? Because if so...yoink! Daddy needs a new pair of shoes (literally.)

May 2004

I don't really know crap but if you want my advice, I wouldn't worry about buying some prefect helmet. Mine looks just like the one in your link except it's mongoose and isn't specifically designed for biking, it's multisport. It has the same amount of vents it looks like and my head doesn't get hot, sure I sweat, but hey, no pain, no gain. I don't mind the sweating at all, I just stop after awhile when my whole body is way overheated and wipe away some sweat, take a breather and drink a little water, and then I'm fine.

Sure I don't know what I'm talking about, but if your a fellow newbie than I wouldn't worry about a nice helmet, as long as it prevents brain damage it's a good helmet in my book and my current helmet does fine. If you want to have no sweat or something sure spend a ton of money on a helmet, but since that helmet has to be replaced after a wipe out, I don't see the point.

Bike helmets are the weirdest thing about biking in my book, since they cost so much and you can just spend 20 bucks on something that will protect you even if you sweat a little. That's just my opinion, even if it isn't worth much here, but if you're willing to sweat, I don't see the problem with the helmet you showed.

If you are gonna be riding by water or if you live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area like me, you don't want alot of vents, when I go by Bob Woodruff park during 3 PM it seems like I go through so many clouds of insects it's not funny. They get under my eye lid, they get squished on my helmet as I go by, which is cool looking cus when I take off the helmet, I see all these blotches like on a car after going through the desert. Lol damn this was a long post for a subject you probably won't need my opinion in. Anyways, just saying, as a fellow newbie, I'm fine with my crappy helmet. Maybe you should wait until you're experienced to spend a ton of money on a helmet, maybe not. I don't know, just sharing my opinion.

MTB Rider

Honestly ...

Even the shitty helmets are good these days. I picked up a cheapo $35 Avernir helmet at the LBS that surpasses the quality of my 3 year old Bell that I paid $80 for.

It's not like the old days where any helmet under $50 seriously sucked and made you look like a mega-dork ;-)