Good Helmet Cam?- Mtbr.com

Sep 2006

Good Helmet Cam?

I am interested in buying a helmet cam and I have no clue what to get.

Can anyone reccomend a decent helmet cam that will allow me to record some of my rides with decent quality.

I'm not looking to make the best quality movie I can make, just some clips of me riding in an OK quality.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There is a thread by wherewolf with 2006 in title (recent post and should be easy to find)..looks like he has quite a bit info on helmetcams/vid etc when you link to his website...plus the pics in the thread are awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Helmet Camera at the lower end.

I have the Oregon Scientific ATC-2000 (ATC2K). It's "good enough" for my purposes. Just a fun little device that is self contained. Add a memory cartridge, and you can record at the highest quality setting for upto 1 hour.

Here are some samples of what I've done with it so far. The trick with any of these devices is to "stabilize" the camera as much as possible to avoid the helmet chatter.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...58C1A9426850AE

There are many options that range in cost from the Tony Hawk $50 camera all the way up to the pro level equipment. I looked at this as a convenience object, and something that would be of interest for a short time period (like many other gadgets that I buy). So far, I'm having fun with it, and my ride buddies like watching the video's. My Atc-2k was only $95, plus the cost of a memory cartridge. I purchased a 2GB SD Card from Radio Shack for $30. Battery life is excellent, the video's that you see in the links were all done on one battery charge. The unit takes 2 AA batteries, I chose to use some of my rechargeables that were on my desk when the unit arrived. So far, its been working without any low battery warnings.

Real easy to use, 1 button on and 1 button off while on the trails, and you can hear the "beep", and "beep beep" for on and off.

Let me know if you need any additional information.........As soon as the Road season starts, I'll connect it to my seatpost to record a Crit from the "rear view-cam."

mtbr dismember

Members who have read this thread: 0