Good helmet for 35-40 dollars?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Good helmet for 35-40 dollars?

What is a good helmet in the 35-40 dollar range. I am looking for low profile XC type helmet.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The only good helmet in that price range

Is one that fits. It makes no sense to buy a helmet by price. First, find one that fits you well and is easy to adjust. Then shop for price. Personally, there are four helmets on the market that fit me well (Bell X-Ray, Influx, Phi and Ghisallo). Those are the only helmets I'll buy and I wait for a sale to get the price/color I want. Your head might fit better in a Giro, who knows? Try some on, fiddle with the adjusting mechanism. Jump up and down. Throw your head around like a monkey in a mosh pit. See which helmets stay put, are easy to adjust and feel comfortable, then buy. Hardly worth saving $20 if you hate the way it feels and it slides around.

Probably drunk right now

^^^^Good advice contained within^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by meloh1
    Is one that fits. It makes no sense to buy a helmet by price. First, find one that fits you well and is easy to adjust. Then shop for price. Personally, there are four helmets on the market that fit me well (Bell X-Ray, Influx, Phi and Ghisallo). Those are the only helmets I'll buy and I wait for a sale to get the price/color I want. Your head might fit better in a Giro, who knows? Try some on, fiddle with the adjusting mechanism. Jump up and down. Throw your head around like a monkey in a mosh pit. See which helmets stay put, are easy to adjust and feel comfortable, then buy. Hardly worth saving $20 if you hate the way it feels and it slides around.
    But a helmet that fits correctly to your head. I'm a Giro head myself.

Ken

Jan 2004

good helmet...

Quote Originally Posted by CLASH
    What is a good helmet in the 35-40 dollar range. I am looking for low profile XC type helmet.

Thanks
    Well as the others have said, fit is key to a good helmet. The more money you pay, the more air vents are built in, etc. All depends on what you plan on doing. When its hot as heck and I am doing a 2-4h ride, its nice to have good air-flow to the mellon! I also found the one I bought for $80ish CDN did not feel as bulky as the one for $50. Keep in mind that is Canadian and not US.

But its good you are getting on regardless of price. It is THE most important protection you can get whether you spend $40 or $100. Just make sure it has the proper certification/approval on it and that it fits. My helmet is Trek Interval and I love it. Giro also makes good buckets. I bought a snowboard helmet made by Giro for $60 on sale and its great.

Anyhow hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Price?

Thanks
    As suggested find one that fits. I went to my LBS and tried helmets on w/o looking @ the price so as not to make any biased decisions. I left w/ a $50 Giro Gila helmet. Just recently I read an article that suggested quite a few XC style helmets don't provide the the best protection for the back of the head. I wasn't in the market for a skate lid or full helmet. I again went to the LBS and looked @ the Giro Xen. It is an XC helmet w/ more rear protection. Fit like a glove . Price was way out there @ $159 but on sale for $99. I would have never imagined spending that much for a helmet but I think my head is worth it.

Mar 2004
    I'd suggest the same. Go to your LBS and start trying them on. I actually gave them a price range cuz there is no use in trying on dozens of helmets if you can't afford some of them. I ended up with a Yukon, I think Bell makes it not sure, but it is great and I think it was in your price range or at least under $50. But i know that i didnt come close to that. It's pretty good, had it about a year now. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Bell Aquila

Last summer I bought a helmet for road and mountain biking, and ended up with the Bell Aquila. Fits me good, looks good, and was around 50 dollars at REI. I think that's about as low of a list price as you'll pay for a good lid. It has the shell closely bonded to the foam, as well, rather than the older and less durable style. It is a one size fits all, which I wasn't too thrilled about, but in practice has been comfortable for many many miles.

Rollin' a fatty
    I don't want to contradict anyone but if you want to put a price on the protection of your brains go ahead and buy a cheapo helmet. I've been there before and buying based on the price alone is a huge mistake as it is by buying per looks or whatever your buddies wear.

Get a helmet that will offer good protection (top and back), ventilation and off course an offordable price. I have owned helmets from Bell, Trek, Specialized and Giro. So far the best fitting one is the Giro E2 followed by the Specialized S1, both are pricey but after a helmet breaking crash I don't risk it anymore by wearing cheap helmets.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

Surprisingly preachy replies...

given the original question. He didn't say he wanted a cheap helmet and didn't care if it fit poorly, yet that seems to be how the question was received by some. My experience is that once you get above the $25 Walmart stuff, price is more a reflection of the graphics and number of vents rather than of protection offered. That is, for example, a Bell Influx is going to offer about the same level of protection as a Bell X-ray, yet the latter lists for $40 more. They use the same "Fusion In-Mold Microshell" and "GPS fit system" so they're likely gonna fit the same. So what exactly is getting folks so riled up about inquiring about helmets in the lower price range? As usual, I'm obviouly missing something.
    - Joe

Upgrade Addict

Suggestion

I shopped locally and bought on the internet. I liked the way Giro's fit and the Havoc was closest to my price range. I ordered an '03 Giro Havoc from Jenson for $48. Should be here tomorrow.

Mar 2004
    Today I am gunna go to my lbs and check out the helmets..

Might get one they are having a 15% off on all their helmets.

Thanks for all your input

Probably drunk right now

Cool, and I little clarification....

Today I am gunna go to my lbs and check out the helmets..

Might get one they are having a 15% off on all their helmets.

Thanks for all your input
    Any helmet you purchase that is ANSI rated for bicycles will protect your melon. The difference between a more expensive helmet and a less expensive helmet isn't increased protection. They all protect more or less the same.

A more expensive helmet offers you the same protection at a lighter weight with more air vents (comfort and hear dissapation) than a less expensive helmet.

So, you will find a helmet in your price range that will fit you just fine and will protect your knoggin. You will also find helmets at Walmart that will protect you just fine and may or may not fit you correctly, depending on what brand they are. You will also find helmets that are double the price of your range that will fit you, protect you but will weigh less and move air around your skull better.

You didn't ask, but I'll offer up my personal take on helmets:

I try and ride as much as a I can. When I ride, I like to protect my head, but I'm also concerned with comfort. I tend to purchase helmets on the higher end because they increase my riding comfort considerably and I don't crash that often. I usually replace my helmet based the life of the materials vs. replacing it because I've crashed. Spending the extra cash for additional comfort is worth the price to me.

If you plan on hucking and crashing, a less expensive helmet may be for you. If you plan on riding XC for hours at a time, you may want to consider a more expensive helmet due to the increased comfort.

Ken

Ride on
    Jan 2004

Don't totally discount style

This may sound silly but don't totally discount style. The least effective helmet is the one that stays home because you don't want to wear it. Personally I think all helmets look kinda dorky but some are worse than others.

The helmet that fit me best in my price range when I was shopping was the Bell Influx. It has a fit system that can be adjusted without looking at it and while the helmet is on your head, which is a big plus.

Jan 2004

Bingo - Nailed it on the head!!

I just bought a helmet last week and just as "Ken in KC" said, they are all equally approved in protecting your head and all have to meet or exceed a minimum design standard. The only difference is fit on your head, lower profile, different appearance and more ventalation holes. They all have to meet a certain protection standard. The salesguy confirmed all of this too.

I personally bought a Giro Torrent II helmet for $34.99. It fit well and I could not tell much of a difference from the $60 helmet. My daughter loved the red so that's why I got it. I also liked the design of the rear ratchet of the Giro over the Specialized or Bell. The Giro is a more definite adjustment whereas the Specialized didn't seem as reliable.

I also bought my daughers some Giro Helmets and the adult one fit better than the kids models. Basically, I got them ones that fit their head. Cost on theirs were $35 and $50 (based mainly on color for them!! -- Pink and Periwinkle).

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Not true.

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    given the original question. He didn't say he wanted a cheap helmet and didn't care if it fit poorly, yet that seems to be how the question was received by some. My experience is that once you get above the $25 Walmart stuff, price is more a reflection of the graphics and number of vents rather than of protection offered. That is, for example, a Bell Influx is going to offer about the same level of protection as a Bell X-ray, yet the latter lists for $40 more. They use the same "Fusion In-Mold Microshell" and "GPS fit system" so they're likely gonna fit the same. So what exactly is getting folks so riled up about inquiring about helmets in the lower price range? As usual, I'm obviouly missing something.
    - Joe
    I purchased a pricey helmet so I could have comfort and more protection than vitually all XC helmets. If you research the Giro Xen it has more " rear head protection" w/o sacrificing ventilation. I don't think anyone is giving the poster too much info just a "heads up".

bi-winning

... and if we just ... Louis Garneau

Thats what i wear. they have a good selection of low end buckets. Picked mine up at canadian tire. HEHEHE i'ma loser

Members who have read this thread: 0