A good fullface helmet for hot sunny days?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

A good fullface helmet for hot sunny days?

Hello to everybody !
    Can somebody tell me a good ff helmet for the summer?
    My head sometimes feels like a cooking machine and i need a more cool helmet !! My helmet is for sure hot
    Thanks a lot
    and sorry for my english

PS i dont like a lot some parachute style helmets like met

should know better.....
    what helmet do you have now?
    For what kind of use? Freeride pedaling, or just lift served Downhill?
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    specialized devient, its not the best helmet as far as protection goes but its the most well ventilated

mtbr member
    I have an azonic furius . and i ride freeride and downhill for fun and some amateur races

should know better.....
    If the Furius is the same as the Fury, it looks like it has pretty good venting. Maybe a Giro Remedy? or the Deviant (not as strong...)
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

mtbr member
    sorry i have the fury
    from out side looks ok but it is very closed inside

Glad to Be Alive
    keep your helmet and just splash a little cold water every now and again.....In the summer I ride in 100 degree plus temps and a little splash of water goes a long way...and I wear a full on moto helmet
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Go back to school
    The Deviant definitely is considered a 'light' DH helmet. It's going to offer more protection than a half shell but not as much as a less ventilated DH helmet. However, the Deviant I owned was pretty dang nice at keeping you cool.

With that said, I have a D3 that keeps me pretty dang chilly. If there is a slight breeze or if your moving the D3 has no problem dissipating the heat.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    I got a Specialized Deviant carbon at the end of 2008 due to my head constantly overheating in other lids, since then I've been super happy with the helmet until I cracked it. That and the XC style straps.

But they've changed the retention this year, added more padding and fixed a few issues. They're looking good. So much so that I put my order down a few days ago on the new Carbon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    keep your helmet and just splash a little cold water every now and again.....In the summer I ride in 100 degree plus temps and a little splash of water goes a long way...and I wear a full on moto helmet
    A splash of water where?On your head, on your helmet, on your pirate girlfriends t shirt?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I currently run a Giro Remedy which has pretty decent ventilation. Just placed an order for a Specialized Deviant 2 though (not the Carbon one ) for the hotter summer months and my AM type rides. Will report back once it comes in...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    spesh deviant, picked up the 2010 a couple of weeks ago, by far the most vented and feels suprisingly good on climbs. Not sure about protection, haven't "tested" it yet but recommend it so far

Underskilled
    How does the deviant compare to the remedy.

I own a remedy, but only wear in the winter, if a deviant is MUCH cooler it mght be worth it.

mtbr member
    The specialized Deviant-2 is very ventilated, I had a chance to test it yesterday, it really is cool.

Here is a small preview I did:

http://all-mountain-next.blogspot.co...ii-carbon.html

mtbr member
    The Specialized Deviant and MET are the most ventilated helmets, but not the best protection. My old favorite was the Vigor Vamoose II, but they no longer make them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I Always hear people question the amount of protection the Specialized Deviant offers, so I'm wondering what peple base that criticism off of? Have there been actual tests that have proven tge Deviant to offer sub-standard protection or are people just basing that on the look of the helmet, the number of vents, etc? Just curious.
    I look at it this way though...if the Deviant can protect the cranium of guys like Matt Hunter and Darren Berrecloth and the BURLY stuff they do, it should be more than adequate for me...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The Deviant fits fits the bill when you are needing more than XC but less than going full blown DH. I have wrecked in one and it did a great job at what it was supposed to do. I walked a way without a bruise or even a sore spot and I landed right on top of my head.

Now, the thing to note was that helmet was trashed after one good wreck. The foam was fully compromised and broken apart. Thus taking the full impact and transitioning very little into me, just what it was designed to do. I was not going at a full DH clip either, just went OTB after a slick wall ride.

After wrecking in one, I am now going full DOT/Snell for any resort riding. I will however keep a Remedy or Deviant for stuff like Porc rim, where I feel a little more at ease knowing I have more than just my XC coverage.

Go back to school
    Quote Originally Posted by atchipmunk
    I Always hear people question the amount of protection the Specialized Deviant offers, so I'm wondering what peple base that criticism off of? Have there been actual tests that have proven tge Deviant to offer sub-standard protection or are people just basing that on the look of the helmet, the number of vents, etc? Just curious.
    I look at it this way though...if the Deviant can protect the cranium of guys like Matt Hunter and Darren Berrecloth and the BURLY stuff they do, it should be more than adequate for me...
    Because we talk to guys that own them. Talk to Specialized. Talk to shop owners. Even Specialized will admit that they had cracking issues with the mouth piece. Sure, they pass all of the testing to qualify them for a DH helmet but they definitely are not as reliable as well...my TLD. My Deviant chipped easily, had noticeable flex, and didn't have anywhere near the amount of EPS that most full faces have.

I don't know much about the Deviant 2 but I do know more EPS=more protection. More holes=less EPS.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    When do the 2010 Deviants come out?

boing
    Jan 2010
    I recently went from being a helmet-less rider (other then when I used to race BMX back in the day) to running a new 661 Comp 2. I haven't tested it in weather that was above the mid-70's but I am happy with the ventilation, price vs quality, and the fit. I removed the mesh foam that covered the mouth vent (it was always soaked with condensation) and now it is venting even better. There are some screws that are exposed due to the mesh removal that were less than smoothly polished so I filed those a bit (just in case). The mesh is simple to remove and re-install. I only wish that the White/Black scheme had the white parts on the top of the helmet to reduce some solar heating (yes, I know that is a very minor concern). I went with the Black/Grey scheme. My main complaint would be that the steel buckles are not well-padded by the minimally padded strap. I will mod this so the buckles don't injure my neck/chin if I get catastrophic.

Underskilled
    I know this is a bit of a side thought,

Does anyone know how much of the heat from a FF is due to IR absorbtion?

Simplifying the question, if I paint my helmet with reflective paint, will it get cooler?

Underskilled
    I am also thinking air scoops to push more air into the vents.

I have a giro remedy, but just cannot wear it in the summer.

I want all year around protection

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just picked up my special ordered 2010 Deviant 2 yesterday. Haven't gotten to ride with it yet, but here's some pics...

I'll post my thoughs once I get to actually take it for a ride...

Puss Wobbles
    Oct 2009
    I have a Pryme AL helmet and it does well on hot days. Lots of ventilation and protected my mellon very well as I ragdolled down a rocky chute a few weeks ago. I even use it when riding my all-mountain bike doing a lot of pedaling.

Members who have read this thread: 0