Good cold weather glove that is not bulky at all...- Mtbr.com
    jcard14
    Oct 2005

Good cold weather glove that is not bulky at all...

Anyone got a pair that keeps them warm w/o the bulk?
    C Knife 14
    '10 S-Works SJ
    '10 Blue AC1
    '11 Spot Brand Acme
    '16 S-Works SJ 29er
    '17 S-Works Enduro 650B.

Always in the wrong gear
    How cold are you talking about?

I have a pair of neoprene "Head" brand running gloves from Costco that are great for down to maybe mid 30s. No armor but they're thin and warm. They even have rubber grips on the palms and fingers.
    There is no magic material, after a point, you have to add thickness to get warmth. Just physics.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I found a pair of work gloves at Walmart that work really well. They have a thin leather palm so you don't have a lot of bulk on the grip, but also have a thicker insulation layer on the back. I've only ridden down into the 30's so far this year, but I expect I can go a good bit lower. Cost about $10. Also try Home Depot and Lowes. That's where I got my riding glasses. Non bike specific gear is a whole lot cheaper and can be just as good if you know what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Honestly, I have not found a pair of cold weather gloves that keep my hands warm while allowing the dexterity needed for shifting and braking. (Mittens are the only things that keep my hands warm.)

But, someone introduced me to Bar Mitts last year and they are freaking AWESOME. I can wear a thin pair of liner gloves (currently, Pearl Izumi Select Softshell) or even regular full fingered MTB gloves and use the Bar Mitts and have been great at 10F so far (I have not ridden below that yet). I can go barehanded with the Bar Mitts to about 30F and be just fine, even sweaty.

For flat bars, the Bar Mitts run less than $50 and are easy and quick to install/remove. I highly recommend them for cold weather riding. Especially if your hands are sensitive to the cold like mine.
    You have to earn your downs...

I quit e-MTBR
    I highly recommend the REI One gloves for a no-bulk winter MTB glove, even though they're not designed for riding and they're not insulated. The palm is leather--thin and grippy--and the rest is thin softshell. Great bar feel, durable, and surprisingly warm. But less crash-protection than an MTB-specific glove.

I did a cold, monsoon-wet enduro in these recently. Everyone around me was complaining about numb fingers, but mine were fine. Below 30 or so I start the ride with something warmer and then switch to these 10 minutes in.

(I have last year's version, I assume they're unchanged except now they call them tech-compatible. Mine are okay on touchscreens, usable but not great.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Re: Good cold weather glove that is not bulky at all...

I second the bar mitts. I use a real thin pair of gloves, I can work the brakes / shifters great.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2
    2017 YT Capra CF
    2016 Motobecane Bullet
    2013 Trek Domane 2.3

9 lives
    I just purchased a pair of Louis Garneau raaj gloves. I wore them biking on the weekend (-5c) and today for snow shoveling. Hands stayed warm and dry

RAAJ GLOVES :: Louis Garneau
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Bontrager has some Windproof bike gloves that are thin and warm. Don't breathe great, so you'll sweat, but warm to mid 20s(F)

mtbr member
    Down to 35 degrees I just wear a polypro or merino wool glove liner under some regular but oversized mtb gloves. Twenty five to 40 degrees I love these Fuji gloves from Outdoor Designs. They are made of a windstopper Polartec Fleece. Soft and flexible and easy to use levers and brakes etc. They also breath well and keep your hands warm even when damp or wet. Despite not having any reinforced or padded areas on the palms (I actually like that they don't) they've lasted a long time. I just replaced my first pair after 6-8 years of use. And they're fairly cheap.

I'll add a glove liner under these below 25 degrees F and go to the Moose Mitts (bar pogeys) for temps below 20.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just picked up a pair of Fox Antifreeze gloves and love them. I've ridden several times in sub 40deg weather and my hands never got cold. I also had no problems shifting or braking with them.

One thing though, they run small so order the next size up for sure. My regular Fox gloves are large and I had to order an extra large pair of these.

I like turtles
    Pearl Cyclones.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcard14 View Post
    Anyone got a pair that keeps them warm w/o the bulk?
    Please define cold weather? I can ride at near freezing with most padded moto gloves, but if it drops 10 degrees and add howling winds, I wouldn't make it two switchbacks. You should look for something with Outdry Technology.

mtbr member
    Not these. Specialized Deflect. Tried them on one ride with temps of 35 deg (not that cold) and by the time I got to the trail head, which is a 15 minute dirt road climb, my fingers were freezing. I added some glove liners at that point and they were barely acceptable though somewhat constricting.

I sent them back and ordered another pair of the OD fleece gloves I recommended above at less than half the price.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Rolling on 650b
    For under 30 degrees I'd say Bar Mitts. Haven't found a glove that wasn't too bulky that kept my hands warm when the temp got lower than that. I've been out in the low teens and windy with the mitts and just a liner glove.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I will have to agree the FOX anti-freeze gloves are AMAZING!!, and they'll take some abuse too.

mtbr member
    I use fox antifreeze and really like them.

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    I just picked up a pair of Fox Antifreeze gloves and love them. I've ridden several times in sub 40deg weather and my hands never got cold. I also had no problems shifting or braking with them.

One thing though, they run small so order the next size up for sure. My regular Fox gloves are large and I had to order an extra large pair of these.
    Do they breathe well since they are waterproof? If so, may have to try a pair.

I like turtles
    Pearl Cyclones are on sale at Pricepoint for $20...they are great gloves.

Pearl Izumi Cyclone Gel Glove | Pearl Izumi
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Pearl Cyclones.

yeah I have two sets of these, one old one new...and these are very nice

they don't seem like much but they work.

Now if you are talking really cold, then these inside pogies or bar mitts. freedom, and ultra warm barmitts be....I bought a cheap 11 dollar set of snowmobile handlebar-mitts and they fit my MTB -and- road bike ultegra setup as well.!!!!!

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post

just want to chime in and say this is my experience too. I'm a large in normal weight fox and 661 gloves but xl antifreezes fit perfect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    pogies on the handlebars

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    pogies/moose mitts/bar mitts whatever you call 'em, they cannot be beat. wear your thinnest gloves under them for perfect dexterity and warmth. they rule. get 'em.

mtbr member
    I use cheapo scooter bar mitts I bought on Amazon ($17.95). They look goofy and add a bit of wind resistance, but my hands stay toasty in my summer gloves. I have other gloves too, but the bar mitts feel better and prevent my hands from getting tired out from compressing the gloves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Another vote for Bar Mitts/Pogies if you're definition of "cold" is at/below freezing.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    check out the Giro Blaze...good to lower 40's for me....soft shell outer, not bulky what so ever...

Name:  BK.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  52.7 KB

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Do they breathe well since they are waterproof? If so, may have to try a pair.
    no, you have to use them in colder temps only or your hands will get clammy.