Good Clipless shoes <$100- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good Clipless shoes <$100

I'm so lazy and cheap. I got a great deal on these xt pd m-770 pedals on ebay for $70 (retails $140) and I never bought any shoes to go with them. I've been looking at Northwave Lizzards, they're pretty, and some shimano number things that I can't remember. Shoot me some ideas on a nice, reasonably priced shoe. Much appreciated.
    Younger than all of you

mtbr member
    It's probably best to get shoes that you can try on first at a bike shop. Shimano shoes don't really fit me that well, but Specalized fit me great. For < $100 you'll get similar shoes from most companies. Sometimes the cheaper shoes lack the ratchet buckle, which can be a good thing. I just go for comfort first and weight second. I also like to check what kind of tread they have since I often find myself pushing my bike up loose, steep rocks.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Double-metric mtb man
    I tried a set of Louis Garneau shoes off the top when I first tried clipless. Nothing fancy...typical lace-up, no ratchets or nothing....worked fine for me. I got my first set for $50 Cdn and my second at the year end sale for $30. They have some bigger sizes and wider soles too, so they really worked well for me.

Just like with bikes....try some different ones on
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    I have Shimano M075's. They are a pretty basic shoe, but have served me well so far. I'm glad I chose to get them at the LBS, since I tried a few styles and none of them fit me as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I picked up a pair of Pearl Izumi Quests for $60 at REI

mtbr member
    Keep an eye out on ebay. i picked some sidi bullets up for 60 bucks. I wear sidi motorcycle boots when i race so i already knew my size. Even without the ratchets they are fine mtb shoes for the money.

turtles make me hot
    All my friends and I use the same Specialized shoe. I think it was 90 or 95 bucks. It's their general XC black shoe. Can't remember the model.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496
    All my friends and I use the same Specialized shoe. I think it was 90 or 95 bucks. It's their general XC black shoe. Can't remember the model.
    +1 to that. I use that shoe too. I absolutely love it. Great tread, holds up awesome, and looks great. I think I paid like 80-90 at my LBS. I recommend it for a cheaper shoe. My buddies all ride with 150buck pairs and mines kicking their ass (their tear).

But definitely try on them before you buy. I personally never owned a pair before, so i assumed they were like regular shoes...wrong..I ended up getting a size bigger to fit in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496
    I'll third this recommendation. The shoe is the BG Sport. I've been riding with them for 3 months with SPD 520 pedals. They fit well and I've never experienced any blisters or discomfort with them. YMMV, so it would probably be a good idea to get fitted at your local bike shop in case a different shoe would suit you better. This is the first clipless pair of shoes I've used, so I can't compare it to anything.

mtbr member
    I also use the SPD pedals as well with my shoes. They have no issues fitting in. The only thing I did was grind a thin part off of the underside grip right where the shoe would fit into the clips. But then again, I'm wearing a 14, so that might be part of it!

mtbr member
    Shimano basic SPD shoes. I think they were 79.99 at the LBS. 3 velcro straps. I dont care about super fancy Sidi's or whatever. THeyre MTB shoes. they're gonna get dirty. They've worked great for me for over a year and a half and I dont plan on replacing them anytime soon

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by reniform
    I'll third this recommendation. The shoe is the BG Sport. I've been riding with them for 3 months with SPD 520 pedals. They fit well and I've never experienced any blisters or discomfort with them. YMMV, so it would probably be a good idea to get fitted at your local bike shop in case a different shoe would suit you better. This is the first clipless pair of shoes I've used, so I can't compare it to anything.
    That's the one, BG Sport. Yeah, we've all had to go up one size to get a proper fit. I wear a 13, but had to go for a 47 which equates to a 14 in bike shoes.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Specialized BG Sport for me too. I've been using them for about 9 months and they show little wear. They have velcro instead of ratchets or laces and the velcro has held up very well too and is easy to use with tired and/or cold fingers. I paid around $85 total from the LBS. I definitely recommend these shoes and getting someone with experience to help you find the perfect size

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=2120

got these a few weeks ago and I have been really happy with them. Only takes a few rides to get broken in. Performance has a sale like every week so its easy to get a $10 off or 10% off coupon. Use there conversion chart and order your regualr shoe size, worked for me.

banned
    Mar 2004
    The Specialized BG Sport MTB is a good shoe and one of my best selling shoes. If you don't mind spending a little bit more ( like $130.00 ) you should try the next shoe up, the BG Comp MTB. It sounds silly but you wouldn't believe the difference in comfort and fit between the two. Plus the Comp's come in half sizes, the Sport's don't. But like they say "If the shoe fits...."

Mark

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I got the Sette Element. Seem like good shoes and only 50 bucks.

mtbr member
    Do you hava any swap meets around where you live?

I picked up a pair of Sidi Dominator 5's for a whopping $8.00 last year.
    They're in great shape too.
    They're the most comfortable and cheapest shoe I've ever owned.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    I have Shimano M075 shoes which are great (except when you look down at them they say 'slow' which isn't great for my self-esteem!). The guy at my LBS said that he found a better fit in the size below what you'd normally wear so i got 44's instead of 45's. He was spot on too and i sometimes forget they are even there, they're so comfy

mtbr member
    One more for the specialized bg sport, have had it for a 3 months and they've been great. No signs of wear except for dirt.
    2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

mtbr member
    I'm looking at these ones on ebay. The Specialized BG sport. Never tried them on, but my new bike's coming this weekend and I need shoes, plus, they're a great deal. To those who said they fit a size larger.I usually wear a size 11 in running shoes (Asics, adidas) and I tried on some shimanos at REI just for a reference, the 46 was a little roomy but the 45 was a little tight. So, in shimano size, I'm about a 45.5. Do you think these specialized in size 12 (45) will fit?
    Younger than all of you

Probably drunk right now

We can't answer this question...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. DiCenso
    I'm looking at these ones on ebay. The Specialized BG sport. Never tried them on, but my new bike's coming this weekend and I need shoes, plus, they're a great deal. To those who said they fit a size larger.I usually wear a size 11 in running shoes (Asics, adidas) and I tried on some shimanos at REI just for a reference, the 46 was a little roomy but the 45 was a little tight. So, in shimano size, I'm about a 45.5. Do you think these specialized in size 12 (45) will fit?
    All shoes fit differently. You have to try them on.

turtles make me hot
    Wow! That's a great price for that shoe. I'd try it on before just mail ordering it. Like I said earlier, I wear a 13 in a regular shoe but I had to get those in a 14 or a 47 in bike shoe lingo.
    I like turtles

Nov 2008
    Definitely +1 to the Specialized BG Sport shoe. Amazing fit and quality. I have never had a shoe fit my feet so well, even some $150+ pale in comparison. I have been using them since the beginning of December, and paid $120 CAD for them. Another good combo with a good shoe is the shimano PD-520, with amazing quality and performance.

Token Hillbilly
    Another +1 for the Specialized BG Sport.

I have 520's on my mtb and XTR on my roadie, and just use the same shoe for both. I get some funny looks sometimes when road riding with muddy, cleated shoes.

I had these shoes for the past 10 months and between the trail and road riding have put close to 1500 miles on them. They're still going strong.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Another vote for BG serie from specialized ... just take time and check all the funny animation and explanation on the bio geometrie from this link
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/micros.../main.html?x=y

Made in Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by schmitty8225
    I got the Sette Element. Seem like good shoes and only 50 bucks.
    I second that, I love these shoes! They aren't a big name like Sidi so they don't break the bank and they are comportable. I simly love them, been riding them for one season withou any complaints. Before I got them I tried my LBS who tried selling me Sidis for ~$200+, they got me to try a $400 pair on! Simply put I love the Sette Elements and recommend them to anyone.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I was wondering what you guys thought of these:

Cannondale by Diadora XCP2000 Performance MTB Shoe
    https://www.performancebike.com/shop...estore_ID=2053

Regular price 249.99 / Sale Price: 59.99

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm so lazy and cheap. I got a great deal on these xt pd m-770 pedals on ebay for $70 (retails $140) and I never bought any shoes to go with them. I've been looking at Northwave Lizzards, they're pretty, and some shimano number things that I can't remember. Shoot me some ideas on a nice, reasonably priced shoe. Much appreciated.
    If you're looking for a comfortable non-racing type of shoe, a line to look at is the Pearl Izumi X-Alp- I ended up getting the X-Alp Low.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_d...cid=GoogleBase

Well suited toward riding and jumping off to hike around a bit.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    All shoes fit differently. You have to try them on.
    Go to a lbs and try the shoes on before you order them. It would be even worse for your bike and shoes to arrive and you can't ride b/c you bought the wrong size shoes.

Members who have read this thread: 0