Good base layer shirt- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Good base layer shirt

Whats a good cold weather base layer shirt that doesn't take much space in a pack? I might go with an under armour one but wanted to compare some other options

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Whats a good cold weather base layer shirt that doesn't take much space in a pack? I might go with an under armour one but wanted to compare some other options

Starter brand, should be able to find it @ Wally Universe.

mtbr member
    I use a cheap base layer like arctic guard, a sleeveless jersey or anything that wicks sweat. All it needs to do is wick sweat, trap air and not restrict your movement.
    fesch
    Riding in snow is for the desperate.

greedy
    I've been wearing the Specialized Tech Layer-short sleeve under my jersey for the last couple of winters. I was wearing the Defeet Undshurt before that, but they were wearing out. My LBS had some of the Specialized base layers in the shop, so I picked one up and ended up going back and buying another. Very packable and just enough to take the bite out of the wind.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

Moderator Moderator
    Go with washable wool - you can wear it your whole trip without it stinking, and if it gets damp at all from rain or sweat, it will dry from your own bodyheat faster than anything else and keep you warm the whole time. Good stuff from Ibex (sale now), Swobo, Icebreaker, etc.

Ahhh the pain....
    Merino wool...bought a few Stoic underlayers off steep and cheap. One is short sleeve which works great paired with arm warmers. By the afternoon, just a jersey with the underlayer was perfect.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I use a smart wool micro weight long sleeve. Paired with a tech jacket can ride anything from 25-45 degrees.

mtbr member
    costco actually gets in base layers ever now and then. I picked a few long sleeve ones up and a few short sleeves. they have kept me warm and dry all winter on the west coast.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    I got one from REI for about $20 that I really love..I also like Nike and Reebok...I usually find those 2 brands at Ross.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just tried smart wool on at rei and it felt pretty nice but I won't wear it enough to justify spending $80. The rei brand base layers were too baggy, I want more of a tight fit. I think I'll go with under armour cold gear - I had one in the past and was pleased with it

mtbr member
    Iím with AZ.MTNS
    Under armour like, but I got them at Target.
    At the end of last winter I picked up a couple long sleeve ones and a turtleneck one on sale.
    Then at the end of summer a short sleeve and a couple sleeveless versions really cheap

Members who have read this thread: 0