good AM gloves?- Mtbr.com

Thread: good AM gloves?

Canuckistan
    Mar 2008

good AM gloves?

Like the title says, anyone know of good full finger gloves for AM ie: light, breathable, and decently padded, oh, not to mention they gotta last more than 2 weeks.

Got a set of RockShox gloves 2 weeks ago, and ive already worn a hole through the thumb and also almost worn them in half where my hand sits on the grip, needless to say, Im not impressed, especially at the $40 they retail for...luckily I paid nowhere near that.

So what gloves do you guys use for your riding and how long do you guys expect a pair of gloves to last?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Get them at the motorcycle shop, usually around $20 cheaper retail, they usually last a while (but some did not), and they are the exact same thing as a mtb glove. Running fox dirt paws right now.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

my fun has a hurting
    fox dirtpaws for xc/am
    fox bombers for dh/fr

i've been through a lot of brands and nothing holds a candle to fox imho

mtbr member
    MEC Squish or Seymour gloves at Mountain Equipment Coop. I've been using the Squish for the last month and find them to be very comfortable compared to my Fox and Race Face gloves. Probably not the most breathable, but I don't find them hot. And the price is right.

mtbr member
    Mechanix wear are the longest lasting gloves i have ever used, wirh descent padding, but I would not say the most breathable. My fox and thor gloves are breathable but very thin and tear/wear easily.

jones'in
    I've been using a pair of Lizard Skinz Komodo gloves since the beginning of the '07 season. I ride several times a week and I've only just recently thought about replacing them. Very durable, padding in all the right places. Not the most breathable, but I think they're about as good as it gets for breathability without sacrificing protection.

I'm buying another pair as a replacement....

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Oakley hand ratchet
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've been looking for some new gloves as well. So far, the 661 Comp & Descend, the Race Face Atlas AM, and the Dakine Cross-X have caught my eye. Anyone have any experience with any of those? They all look reasonable in the photos, but none of the local shops have any of them.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Try the 661 Raja. Excellent gloves.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by architectx
    I've been looking for some new gloves as well. So far, the 661 Comp & Descend, the Race Face Atlas AM, and the Dakine Cross-X have caught my eye. Anyone have any experience with any of those? They all look reasonable in the photos, but none of the local shops have any of them.
    You might get a couple of weeks out of the 661's. Pure crap in my opinion.

STINKY TOFU
    +1 Dakine cross X, but not if you dont care padding
    "I'd pee on that"
    -R. Kelly-

Dirt Deviant
    I have a pair of FOX Digit, Fox Sidewinder and AXO Ride.
    All FF gloves. The AXO are the most durable and least breathable, good for cooler weather.
    Both the Digits and Sidewinders are breathable and have good construction.
    Got the AXO's cheap, digits were about $25 and sidewinders were closer to $40.$34 if my memory serves me. I got em cheaper than that cause I work in a shop though.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck
    Like the title says, anyone know of good full finger gloves for AM ie: light, breathable, and decently padded, oh, not to mention they gotta last more than 2 weeks.

Got a set of RockShox gloves 2 weeks ago, and ive already worn a hole through the thumb and also almost worn them in half where my hand sits on the grip, needless to say, Im not impressed, especially at the $40 they retail for...luckily I paid nowhere near that.

So what gloves do you guys use for your riding and how long do you guys expect a pair of gloves to last?
    I expect gloves to last forever but that doesn't happen. I buy whatever looks good and is on sale. Like what was said above there is that breathability vs durability ratio to consider and YOU have to decide what you want more of.

2 things i do to make a glove last longer is buy gloves where the seam between the thumb and forefinger is a wrap around or slight wrap around instead of a straight seam. And i buy my gloves a size or 2 larger than i need, i blow through the finger tips a lot less this way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dorian gray
    Oakley hand ratchet
    I had my Oakley gloves for more than a year now. it's a little pricey but durability wise its pretty good

TLL

Apr 2008
    Fox Digit gloves. 2 pair, both have lasted over a year.

mtbr member
    +2 for the Dakine Cross-X. I've tried several of the gloves mentioned and found these to work the best for my hands. I use them for all types of riding. They have held up well over the years.
    I live in Denver but Minneapolis is home.
    2015 Transition Patrol
    2015 Transition TR500

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    I like the fox incline for am/xc and the fox bombers for FR/DH

mtbr member
    +3 for the Dakine Cross-X. The most comfortable gloves I've had and last a while. Just got my second pair.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    You might get a couple of weeks out of the 661's. Pure crap in my opinion.
    Yeah, the palms sure wear through fast... I like them otherwise though, nice and comfortable.

mtbr member
    i like the Fox too. dont get 661.

Dirt Deviant
    I switch between 3 pairs of gloves. They last alot longer if you give them a rest between rides. If you wear the same pair every single ride, they seem to wear out faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CTrider
    Mechanix wear are the longest lasting gloves i have ever used, wirh descent padding, but I would not say the most breathable. My fox and thor gloves are breathable but very thin and tear/wear easily.
    i like these too, i have the ones that say "utility" on the tips, thinner back than the regular ones, but no sweaty hands, and strong suede palms. $17 on special at the hardware store.

my fun has a hurting
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    I switch between 3 pairs of gloves. They last alot longer if you give them a rest between rides. If you wear the same pair every single ride, they seem to wear out faster.
    about 3 times as long right?

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by cdburch
    You read my mind.
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

Dirt Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by cdburch
    Yep, pretty much exactly 3 times as long............= )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruzovik
    +3 for the Dakine Cross-X. The most comfortable gloves I've had and last a while. Just got my second pair.
    Hear, hear.

+4. Been through the usual suspects of 661 etc and Dakine Cross-X are the best fit and seem to last longer than the competition.

Members who have read this thread: 0