Going clipless, need advice on shoes- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

Going clipless, need advice on shoes

So I'm thinking of going clipless this Spring, never tried it before. I've pretty much decided on time atac xs carbon's, but not sure about shoes. I'm considering Shimano MO38's, and Sette elements. The shimanos are more of a street type shoe whereas the sette's are a more rigid, no rubber sole full-on biking shoe. Any suggestions for choosing between these two general types of shoes or these two specific models? How much performance will I sacrifice for being able to walk around more comfortably with the shimanos? Any other suggestions for shoes? I"m on a budget of about 200 total for shoes and pedals, so about $65-75 for shoes to go with the atacs.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    If you spend some time walking across rocks and/or hard slick areas the Element or other race style shoes are not the best choice. Most of the time I prefer race style.

BTW you can get the Element AND ATAC Alum pedals for $100.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Jun 2004
    Hmm...I suppose it's not really worth the extra $75 for the xs carbons

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Drop Off
    Hmm...I suppose it's not really worth the extra $75 for the xs carbons
    The function is the same.
    mtbtires.com

President, CEO of Earth

consider this...

How much are you planning on walking?
    If these are your commuter shoes and you will be walking around a work for a while before changing shoes then the more walkable shoes are probably better. If you ride a lot of difficult trails with bare rock then softer soled shoes are also an advantage.

However, most mtb shoes are acceptable for most walking applications. Only the really race specific - carbon soled especially - shoes are very poor for walking. You can get some idea of how appropriate they are just by the hardness of the tread of the shoes. For example, compare high end Sidi mtb shoes with mid range Specialized and it is obvious which are better for scrambling across a wet boulder. Your LBS can probably ponit you in the right direction.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

Am I getting too bulky?
    I personally don't like shoes with a combo of laces and velcro. I find that the laces don't allow me to adjust the tightness of the shoes sufficiently along the length of the shoe. I also find that I end up with a hot spot on the top of my arch where the velcro goes over the laces. If you want casual shoes, I'd go without the addition of velcro. Along the same vein, three velcro straps is better than two for adjusting the tightness of the shoe.

Somewhat more important than the stiffness of the shoe is the tread. I like a shoe with some decent tread in case I find myself trying to scramble up a muddy or loose slope. If you look at the Shimano race shoes you'll see an example of a shoe with very little tread, and an ultra stiff sole. Those are the kind of shoes I'd stay away from unless you know you're going to be doing very little walking/hiking. The Settes look like a great combination of form and function for everyday riding. I doubt you'd find them too stiff for the occasional hike-a-bike. The only issue would be my inability to try them on before buying, but for $100 including the pedals, they'd be worth taking a shot on. That's a heck of a deal.

If you ride in rocky areas, and foresee striking your pedals while going through rock gardens, I'd stay away from carbon pedals. I have the Aliums on all my bikes and they take a beating.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member
    My opinion is just the opposite. I found strap only shoes as not having enough adjustment to even out the stress on foot bones, in particular two starp shoes were torture. I find the laces as a way to spread the stress across the foot. I use M038's, just bought my second pair.

Jun 2004
    I think I'll probably end up going for that $100 deal with the aliums. Gives me a chance to try one style of pedal at a cheap price. Thanks for all the input guys, and pray for an early Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    My opinion is just the opposite. I found strap only shoes as not having enough adjustment to even out the stress on foot bones, in particular two starp shoes were torture. I find the laces as a way to spread the stress across the foot. I use M038's, just bought my second pair.
    I agree! Laces are MUCH better than velcro adjusting tightness/fit over the length of the shoe. Velcro peels up too easily, too, making the shoe loose.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    I finally made the leap to clipless and bought a set of Mallet M's and Specialized Comps. I absolutely love this combination. Yes, they are difficult to walk in but once clipped in, the pedaling efficently is CRAZY. I bought the Mallets so that I could use both clipless and standard shoes, but I find myself gearing up, just for a quick ride.

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Drop Off
    I think I'll probably end up going for that $100 deal with the aliums. Gives me a chance to try one style of pedal at a cheap price. Thanks for all the input guys, and pray for an early Spring.
    Probably not a bad idea. However, another nice shoe in your price range is the Diadora Geko (~70.00).

Feb 2004

Go with the Shimano shoes.

In that price range, and for first time clipless users, shimano makes a very good shoe--and you can walk in them. By the time you wear them out--probably wont actually--you'll be shopping for a pair of SIDIs.

First time on clipless, try them on the grass because you're going to fall a lot at first.

The number one way everyone falls trying clipless for the first time is when you stop, and you don't want to be in traffic or in some other dangerous spot when that happens. The reason is, you're not used to clipping out yet, you simply forget because until now you just put your foot down. But don't worry, you'll get it and then you'll never go back to flat pedals.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    FYI - the Element/Alium deal is at PricePoint
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/135...ium-Pedals.htm
    Enjoy the pain, it is worth it!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    FYI - the Element/Alium deal is at PricePoint
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/135...ium-Pedals.htm
    Enjoy the pain, it is worth it!
    Considering Sette is Pricepoint's house brand...
    mtbtires.com

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Considering Sette is Pricepoint's house brand...
    Honestly forgot if it was theirs or Performance
    Whatever
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I agree! Laces are MUCH better than velcro adjusting tightness/fit over the length of the shoe. Velcro peels up too easily, too, making the shoe loose.
    Hey, can you tell me if there is a noticable difference between the sole stiffness on the lace/velcro shoes vs. the all velcro models. Since the lace/velcros look like a more comfortable walking and riding shoe I am wondering if you sacrafice effeciency.

Also, do you have any oppinions on the Exustar brand of shoes? Or do you know what brand runs more narrow than wide?

Thanks