Gloves. Which are your favorites that passed the test of time?- Mtbr.com
    MK_
    carpe mañana

Gloves. Which are your favorites that passed the test of time?

I really tore up my gloves in Fruita this past weekend. I addition, they always bunched up at the bend of my wrist, where the palm ends and fingers begin giving me perma caluses. Curious to hear what you find comfortable and which gloves are durable. Thanks.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

3 "fiddy" for short
    I have been using Troy Lee Design XC gloves and have stood the test of time for me. My only complaint is that they need more padding in the palm ('05) version. More like the 2003/04. Other than that they have been very durable.

No, that's not phonetic
    I always buy gloves on closeout from SierraTradingPost or REI outlet for no more than 20 bucks since I eat through them in a few months. Nothing that is really comfortable lasts me more than a year, so I go cheap. Fox Digits and Sidewinders and such. Fox makes decent gloves I guess. I'm not picky and have about 3 different sets on hand (not literally) at any given time.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I really liked my Specialized S-Works gloves that I bought in 1995. They lasted a good long time until they were replaced with Fox Sidewinders. The Sidewinders only lasted about 6 months before they died. I guess they don't make 'em like they used to... I looked into getting another pair of Specialized gloves, but I don't trust their BG marketing. Frankly it looks like it might cause more harm than good -- but I haven't tried
    'em yet, so I can't really pass judgement though. I recently bought a pair of Fox Inclines because they were cheap. We'll see how long the Inclines last...

Now with flavor!!
    I got a pair of kobalt mechanics gloves that are made of lastonium or something. I usually have about 3-4 pairs of rotating gloves depending on the stink and for some reason these things have lasted me over a year. I've NEVER had a pair of gloves this long.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    fox sierras rule if ya ask me. long lasting, comfy, not too hot in a az summer and not too cold in a iowa fall. just enough padding and little to no bunching in the palm but im a small hand guy who likes good contact with the bar. a big handed guy who wants mega cush might look elswhere. my 1st pair lasted 3 years till i killed em in a fall. got my second set in moab durring my move from the desert to the snow 3 years ago. machine washable time after time. i dig these gloves!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    I tried a set of Mechanix automotive gloves. They were the longest lasting set of gloves I've had. Washable too. (aren't they all?) I couldn't find a replacement set that didn't have some noisy walpaper-like logo on it but I'll keep looking. I would prefer they had some pading but they are automotive gloves.
    I had 3 sets of Troy Lee gloves and they all shredded quickly. Too much lycra, which gets torn up from adjusting the straps on my pads. I'm using some Fox gloves now. Pretty good. The wrist straps don't stay though.

All of them are sized too small IMO
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Trail rider and racer
    For summer: Nike Fingerless gloves - They are brilliant; Nike Fingerless gym gloves (For roadie) and also the stock standard fox ones are OK

For Winter: Good old Fox ones - Nothing fancy just the run of the mill model!

For Viciously cold weather: Big thick ASSOS ones but it has to be totally insanely cold to wear them as they make controlling grip shift and alike a lot more of a effort. They are a few inches think from memory!
    Trev!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I buy gloves at the MX store. They are cheaper and just as durable as "mtb specific" stuff, and the bar diameter is about the same, so functionally they are the same. Fox, Oniel, Answer, etc....
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

not so super...
    I normally get the close-out Fox stuff: I like the non-padded gloves and use the Oury Grips to add some cush. The non-padded type seem to last longer,

I have Digits that are over a year old and Sidewinders that are almost 2 years old and a new pair of Sidewinders I picked up in the spring. The best way to make gloves last is to cycle between 2-3 pairs. When I would only have 1 pair they lasted 9 months tops.
    Last edited by SSINGA; 10-27-2005 at 10:01 AM.
    Nothing to see here.

Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I buy gloves at the MX store. They are cheaper and just as durable as "mtb specific" stuff, and the bar diameter is about the same, so functionally they are the same. Fox, Oniel, Answer, etc....
    I found that they are more durable, for the most part. They have more of the reinforcement between the thumb and index finger, which is the spot where all of my mtb gloves shred first.

I have a pair of six six one gloves and they developed a hole in that spot on the first ride.

I use mechanic gloves now. They are awesome and have lifetime guarantees.

Powered by ice cream.
    My AXO Descend gloves have treated me nicely for a couple years, but are starting to fray. Kevlar pad in palm really works when you go down.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I tried the mechanix gloves too, they fit well and were comfy but the palm area ripped on both gloves and they didn't end up lasting any longer than some of the other gloves I've tried. I liked the Fox digits, they lasted awhile even with repeated hand plants in the rocks.

old and busted
    Sep 2004
    I've been using a pair of Troy Lee XC since '99 and they are still going strong. I got a pair of '05s to replace them, but now they are the back-ups since I keep going back to the originals from '99.

Am not, had mine removed.
    For winter the Brooklyn Machine Works Gloves are great. Otherwise Fox Sidewinders for warm weather.
    You want to ride behind someone who does something that?

770-271-9506

mtbr member
    So far the best glove I have used is the specialized ridge glove, I also would consider the Fox Digit as well...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Cold weather

Any recommendations for a cold weather glove? I'm talking temps in the 30's and 40's, not super frigid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    I really tore up my gloves in Fruita this past weekend. I addition, they always bunched up at the bend of my wrist, where the palm ends and fingers begin giving me perma caluses. Curious to hear what you find comfortable and which gloves are durable. Thanks.

_MK
    I have a pair of Dainese with carbon knuckle protection on the outside two fingers - they are longer-lasting and tougher than anything else I've had - the exact ones I don't see anymore - but these look like an updated version...

link:http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...2&MatrixType=1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    All of them are sized too small IMO
    You mentioned that you haven't had good luck with Troy Lee stuff, but the only gloves I've found that are large enough for my hands are the Troy Lee XC in a XXL. Just enough padding on the palm, the back is breathable mesh, and they have a nice snot rag above the thumb. The two pair I've had have each lasted the better part of a season, and they're reasonable priced at $24 a pair.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Another vote for TLD xc gloves which are great except in real cold conditions.
    For winter I have a couple of pairs of gloves, one old Specialized pair with some wind protection and extra padding to the backs but normal thickness palms and a pair of Axo/661 storm gloves which are water resistant but come up a little small compared to my other gloves and next size is too big so try before you buy for fit.
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

Amphibious Technologies

_MK
    I really like the AXO Descend Gloves (comfortable and durable) but I dont think they make it anymore.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Flyin Canine
    All the gloves on the market right now suck for my style of riding. I like to do stuff that makes me crash and none of the current gloves have enough knuckle protection. They are all too delicate for me. The ones that have ok padding on the knuckles like the oakley carbons have less then nothing on the palm. Do they think I'm actually gonna be able to control my crashes so much that I'm never gonna land on my palm?

And no they don't make them like they used to. The last decent pair of gloves Fox made as far as durability goes was in 95' They were called PawTectors and they are still rocking. All their new gloves are built from some sort of organic time bomb fabric that lasts at most 8 months before it starts to disentigrate. WTF Fox?

BMW builds some pretty burly gloves but they are so damn hot cause they didn't spend any time finding spots where they could add vents safely.

Qranc made the best gloves ever. Here is a photo of the tops. The bottoms look kinda like the Brooklyns with patches of kevlar and all kevlar thread. I bought two pairs of these qranc gloves back in 97' and am still running them today. They've been through a ton of crashes and are really on their last leg. So if any of you manufacturers are reading this please make some more gloves like these as Qranc went out of business a while ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    for winter riding,
    I picked up a pair of these insulated DH Giant gloves - VERY comfy. the only thing I don't like is the use of the sticky/tacky rubber compound they use on the palm and fingers...I've been riding bikes with leather palmed gloves my whole life, and this new addition of no slip rubber I find to be very distracting - Especially when I am trying to slightly slide my hand over to the twist shift, or slide the edge of my finger along the brake lever, You just can't move your hand around naturally - Poor design idea. (Same problem people have wearing cleats on astro-turff, just too much traction)
    Still like the glove though!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bite Me.
    I like Answer's full finger gloves on sale, but it's really a matter of fit. I usually wear through the gloves in the finger tips of my index and middle fingers. I used to wrap skateboard deck tape on my brake levers to give me some added grip in wet or muddy conditions, but the sandpaper texture just ate my gloves. Now I use Aquaseal, a clear neoprene repair glue - put a dab on each finger tip and dip in play sand. Let 'em cure overnight and the things will not wear out. One tube will last for years and can also be used for your raft repairs, waders, etc.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member

MK . . long time no ride

Fox glove will not stand the test of time and imo are very uncomfortable after >2 hour rides. I have the calluses to prove it.

Perl Izumi gloves are very comfortable, but only lasted 3-4 months.

I've recently started using Troy Lee XC gloves and have been happy with comfort and durability. However, they don't have a snot gaurd, which I use a lot.

Graeson

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

_MK
    Well for warm weather I use Pearl Izumi Gel fingerless. They never bunch up and the gel really makes a difference compared to a padded palm. For cold weather I use Fox but I am constantly looking for a better one. I hate full fingered gloves and the lack of feel you get with them. I sure am glad I have them when I crash though.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by graeson
    Fox glove will not stand the test of time and imo are very uncomfortable after >2 hour rides. I have the calluses to prove it.

Perl Izumi gloves are very comfortable, but only lasted 3-4 months.

I've recently started using Troy Lee XC gloves and have been happy with comfort and durability. However, they don't have a snot gaurd, which I use a lot.

Graeson
    Hey man, I heard about your collar bone, major bummer. I also heard about your new DH rig, Mike was way excited. You and me both get calluses from the Fox gloves. I also tore mine up completely at fruita last weekend (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=139216). I'll probably give Troy Lees a try, then.

Shanedawg, I think your glove philosophy resembles mine to a great extent. I'll probably pick up the BMWs for winter.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

Nov 2004

No one makes really good quality gloves anymore

Foxes are absolute shite. I've shredded two pairs of Fox sidewinders on the first ride (on the palm). Pathetic!

The aforementioned Troy Lees are also not very good in terms of durability, but they're super, super comfortable and reasonably priced. I'm on something like my 5th pair.

Everything else either doesn't fit me that well, isn't all that durable or both.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    I tried a set of Mechanix automotive gloves. They were the longest lasting set of gloves I've had. Washable too. (aren't they all?) I couldn't find a replacement set that didn't have some noisy walpaper-like logo on it but I'll keep looking. I would prefer they had some pading but they are automotive gloves.
    Get a set of mechanix original in the stealth flavor... I have those to go with my ninja spot. All black, black logo's on the top, no yellow mechanix logo on the wrist! just the thing you want. I have got the originals for all year riding and the cold weather ones for winter riding (i don't suffer from cold hands fast, so i don't need thermosuit fat gloves)

And mechanics are so sweet ido ruffian grips... like **** on a tire. And the palm one the new kind is much more durable then the one on the axo mechanix back in 1990 (had those to and been looking for the new ones ever since, which is not easy in europe)

greetz
    bettes

Pray for SNOW!
    Aug 2005

661 Raji

They have no equal in my mind!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Ironclad

Check out the local hardware store for Ironclad work gloves. They feel great on the controls, and are made to last. Huge selection for hot summer rides to winter riding. Check out www.iclad.com.

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    Answer Impact gloves have held up well for me. I throw them in the wash when dirty.
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

mtbr member

Hestra

I love Hestra gloves. They last and have a great fit. https://www.hestragloves.com/content...ea=4&gloveID=9

I have a pair of Primal Wear too, they work but are not as good as Hestra. Others I have only tried on my hand but not bought.

For winter in 32F to 14F I'm currently using a PRO Delta glove, it's a Swedish branding of some foreign product. Not sure what name it's sold under in other parts of the world.

Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

mtbr member

fox pawtector!!!

MK_]I really tore up my gloves in Fruita this past weekend. I addition, they always bunched up at the bend of my wrist, where the palm ends and fingers begin giving me perma caluses. Curious to hear what you find comfortable and which gloves are durable. Thanks.

over here in the uk everything is so expensive...that was until i found mx1.co.uk where they clear foc clothing, just picked up a nice sfx jersey for £18 and some fox pawtector gloves for £13.50 which is real cheap!!
    so hopefully these are gonna be the best gloves ive ever ridden!!
    God....whatever i feel like doing!!!

mtbr member

Fox sidewinders - £17

been using sidewinders for the past few months and ive been impressed with them - although I dont know how warm they will keep my paws during the winter months.

Currently going cheap (£17) at rutlands cycles (http://www.rutlandcycling.com/Produc...9-03e30ab9aeed)
    saving 46% on retail.

DS

Jun 2004

Dakine Highwire

Been using them for the last 10 months, nothing wrong, not even a broken stitch and they have been hammered! Touch of padding on the palm, neoprene knuckle for protection, these are the best fitting glove I have ever had, beat the fox gloves I have used hands down (sidewinders and Incline)

Give um a go, you'll not regret it!

Members who have read this thread: 0