Gloves & Winter riding Advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Gloves & Winter riding Advice

I am looking for winter gloves. Something that will keep my hands warm, but not sweaty and uncomfortable. I do not ride in snow and rain - but will in windy conditions. I figure they'll be used in conditions that will be as low as the 25 into the 40's. I do though want to try to get a snow ride in - it just looks fun.

I do not want to break the bank on a set (I tend to lose gloves before they have a chance to wear out).

I am not a fan of cold weather riding, however I set a goal to compete next season and I need the saddle time. I will ride into the 20's (real feel). If I can get my body used to the temps, I will see if I can go lower. I can use the trainer when I needed.

My biggest issue is the over heating once I get a few miles into the trail. I try to be moderately cold in the lot -so I can warm up while I ride. Any suggestions on dressing for colder temps?

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Twenty Times
    I am looking for winter gloves. Something that will keep my hands warm, but not sweaty and uncomfortable. I do not ride in snow and rain - but will in windy conditions. I figure they'll be used in conditions that will be as low as the 25 into the 40's. I do though want to try to get a snow ride in - it just looks fun.

I do not want to break the bank on a set (I tend to lose gloves before they have a chance to wear out).

I am not a fan of cold weather riding, however I set a goal to compete next season and I need the saddle time. I will ride into the 20's (real feel). If I can get my body used to the temps, I will see if I can go lower. I can use the trainer when I needed.

My biggest issue is the over heating once I get a few miles into the trail. I try to be moderately cold in the lot -so I can warm up while I ride. Any suggestions on dressing for colder temps?
    I've had some pretty good luck with a couple pairs of winter gloves bought at a Menards home center in my area (try Home Depot, Lowes etc.). One pair in particular are quite worn and torn but I keep using them an they're more comfortable in 45-30 deg temps, the other pair is more heavily insulated and I use them for below 30deg rides.

The great thing is that these gloves were super cheap, about 10 bucks. It's hit or miss though. I bought a pair a few years back and the inside lining stunk BAD when my hands sweated just a little bit and that pair was promptly returned to the store for a refund. LOL, you should have seen the look on the refund counter girls face when I tried to get here to sniff them .

mtbr member
    Check these out:
    http://www.trails-edge.com/retail/te...mfbikemits.htm
    You can use your regular biking gloves, but the mitts are easy to slide into and keep your hands quite warm.
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

mtbr member
    Like Ricko alludes to, hit up your local hardware store and go through their winter work glove section. Some even look pretty cool. I've got a pair of Youngstown winter work gloves that I have been using for several years. Usually much cheaper than any kind of performanc/athletic glove.

mtbr member
    Goto BJ's, Costco, Sam's Club and buy a box of mini-handwarmers, slip them in whatever gloves you got and you'll be warm and toasty - guaranteed!

mtbr member
    there are no perfect gloves. buy a couple different pair for different conditions. usually wind isnt a huge issue for mountain biking. ski gloves work fine too.

mtbr member
    http://www.mechanix.com/cold-weather-glove My next pair for this winter!

I have used one pair of mechanix gloves for almost 2 years now. I throw them in the washer every now and then and they still look almost new. I got a bundle of 3pair off ebay for under $20. I ended up giving one pair to my brother because the first pair has lasted me so long. i figured i might be dead before i used them all!

There's no app for this.

Check out any shop with

cross country ski equipment - glove dept. Their gloves are refined for just your needs - no sweat, wind-breaking, light but warm, you get the drift (pun intended).

These ones are top rated by a few reviewers, and fit your needs.

http://www.rei.com/product/743105

Jim

Seirus® Softshell Lite™ gloves provide your hands a thin, weatherproof barrier against winter weather.
    •Suitable for active endeavors, gloves provide runners and X-C skiers protection from wind and water without excess bulk
    •Made from Polartec® Power Shield®, which blocks 98% of the wind and allows 2% to circulate within the fabric
    •Lightweight, polyester fleece is laminated on the inside for wind resistance and warmth
    •Four-way stretch allows maximum mobility and comfort
    •Hyperlite™ fabric across palms (and along thumb and first finger) ensure a firm grip
    •Lycra® spandex cuff helps keep gloves in place and seals out wind
    •Suitable for use as a liner in glove or mitten shells

Members who have read this thread: 0