Gloves for weak hands- Mtbr.com
    Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Gloves for weak hands

I'm a pretty big guy at 215, even if I don't show it. Lots of muscle in my shoulders, but not much in my hands. Even back in high school when I'd wreck riding, my hands would hurt for days afterwards. Never broke my wrists or anything in my hands, and I am pretty good at the tuck and roll...but my hands take a beating.

Are there any gloves that offer a bit more padding or reinforcement for big, fragile hands? Maybe something that wraps around the wrist for more support?

Right now I'm using carpenters gloves for use with hammers/nailguns, and although they work, they are bit bulky and starting to fall apart.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    I'm a pretty big guy at 215, even if I don't show it. Lots of muscle in my shoulders, but not much in my hands. Even back in high school when I'd wreck riding, my hands would hurt for days afterwards. Never broke my wrists or anything in my hands, and I am pretty good at the tuck and roll...but my hands take a beating.

Are there any gloves that offer a bit more padding or reinforcement for big, fragile hands? Maybe something that wraps around the wrist for more support?

Right now I'm using carpenters gloves for use with hammers/nailguns, and although they work, they are bit bulky and starting to fall apart.
    You ever try those squeezy things to strengthen your grip, or even tennis balls?

Anti demagogue.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I think it's more than I have big hands and a lot of force in a fall goes right into the area below my thumb.

Tool
    I don't believe any type of glove is going to help you much.

My suggestion is fingertip pushups - these would help strengthen the area below your thumb that seems to take the beatings. If your hands are strong enough to do these, start by doing them from your knees instead of feet.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not sure what kind of riding you do, but motorcycle gloves might be your ticket. They even have some carbon reinforced knuckles. Not too bulky, but hot, so probably not the best for some death march up a hill in 100 degree weather.

I have some cortech scarabs that are mighty comfortable, but I have never used them for mountain biking. The strap around the wrist actually does add some decent reinforcement tot hat area.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/prod...tid=111&cat=29

Caca pasa
    You ever think that maybe you're hunched over the bars too much, putting too much weight on your hands? Are you using risers? Maybe go to the next size riser & get a stem that puts you in a more upright position?
    Anti demagogue.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Sep 2007
    Just to clarify -- your hands and wrists hurt from riding or your hands and wrists hurt from falling? Do they hurt after a ride even if you don't take a fall?

If it's from falling, any full fingered glove should keep your hands from being torn up. Are you sure your aren't falling ON your hands? It's normal to try and catch yourself when you fall, but it's a bad idea, and a good way to break a wrist.

Sep 2007
    Sorry, DP.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    You cannot be "good at the tuck and roll" and have "a lot of force in going right into the area below my thumb" (last quote edited for grammar's sake).

If you are tucking and rolling correctly your hands should not be taking any weight in the fall...

A good set of biking gloves will protect from road rash or the like if you are sliding, but nothing is going to help if you keep throwing your hands out to catch yourself.

Members who have read this thread: 0