Gloves stink? Or is it just me...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Gloves stink? Or is it just me...

I've had my gloves for almost 2 years. They've been fine and odourless until recently. They've been starting to smell a bit. I think it started a few weeks ago after a really really wet ride. I washed them and all, but they're just been kinda smelly ever since. Rather annoying. Anyone else had this problem? Any tips for cleaning smell off gloves?

Cheers.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by h2ored
    Any tips for cleaning smell off gloves?

Cheers.

...New gloves...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

MattSavage
    Seriously though... 2 years is a long time for a single pair of gloves. Do your hands a favor and get a new pair. New gloves just feel good!
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    ...New gloves...
    Really? Damn
    You make a good point though.

I'm with stupid
    Im suprised that you got 2 years out of them. I tear mine up way faster. Got this nasty habit of crashing and pulling hands down. lol

Dirt Deviant
    Soak em in some woolite for a while. Rinse repeat. Then dry them up really good!!!!!!!
    Then throw em in the back of your car. Buy a new set of gloves. Use those. And you'll always have that extra set in the car incase you forget your new ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Put them in a ziploc bag with an air freshener, dirt, pine needles, etc. Something with a scent that you like.

Braaaapp!
    I've had good results with Simple Green. I add a bit to the wash whenever I do riding gear, helmet liners, etc.

mtbr member
    I've had success getting rid of helmet pad funk with baking soda and water. Seems like it should work for gloves, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Wash your gloves in the laundry, and run them in the clothes dryer, or if you live somewhere hot and dry, hang them outside. If they don't dry well, they can get that sour sponge smell which is pretty hard to wash out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I wash mine after every couple of rides in the washer on handwash with my other riding gear. Everything goes in the dryer on low. Gloves barely last me a year before they're too torn up. Looking at the shredded leather makes me wonder what my palms and wrists would look like had I not worn gloves.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Two years?!!!...man, those gloves must be made out of solid NASA level kevlar or something...or you don't ride enough to wear them out...LOL! I can get this kind of wear out of a pair of road motorcycle gloves and roadbike gloves, but nothing off road...dirt motor or MTB. I'm impressed.

mtbr member
    After a ride wash your hands with your gloves on. Hand soap is fine. That will help. When you put them on next time they might be a little stiff, but they'll loosen right up. ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Oct 2007
    scent and dye free laundry detergent has pretty much eliminated all my gear funk issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    seriously, mine start rippin up after about 6mths...
    2 years on, your hands def deserve a new pair....
    check out great video coverage of anything mtb (well almost).

http://www.mtbcut.tv

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Lysol spray inside and out and let them sit overnight. Works really well in my shoes when they get that smell after a wet ride.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

mtbr member
    zach, the AL east is gonna be fun this fall. (raised a bronx bomber). having 2 pair and alternating once in awhile but 2yrs?!! that's pretty good. I'm not a chemist but something's put up up a good fight against your bacteria if you can make 'em last that long against funk!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wow, do you guys really crash that often? ..But I guess, as many mentioned, I dont ride that frequently...only have time on some weekends.

hitechredneck - I wish I have your habit last time I crashed...rocks dont taste very good.

btw, thanks for the suggestions, I might try them and look into new gloves as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Try washing them on the warm or hot cycle and dry them in the sun. I've done this with all my full finger gloves and have good results. They will be a little snug for the first few min after they have been cleaned but they will go back to the original size before your ride is done.

mtbr member
    Sour sponge smell and general funkiness? Soak them in white vinegar, then wash and dry in the sun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My TLD Apex gloves are falling apart, probably due to washing them in the laundry. Down here in southern Florida we ride in temps over 85 most days and in the 90's all summer so the gloves tend to get lots of sweat in them which turns to stink.

I need to replace them as we speak, but don't want to spend the $ on the TLD's if they are going to fall apart again. I like the protection factor due to the rocky terrain we have down here made up of coral based rock. Any suggestions for tough gloves?

Motobey
    Quote Originally Posted by yokine
    Sour sponge smell and general funkiness? Soak them in white vinegar, then wash and dry in the sun.
    Hey I will try that because I soak em in soap water, wash them in the regular wash but all it takes is the first rides and they are sweet stink fast.
    thanks for the question and thanks for the answer.
    "Si todos saben lo que ay que hacer por que tenemos problemas" Choose xpst.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    2 years! Everyone's freaking out! I've had my gloves (3 pairs) for at least......git ready....... 4-5 seasons. How do I do that? Easy. Well for starters, I ride once a season. 4 rides a year. And the rides are a grueling 1/8th of a mile. Boy o' boy...talk about exhausting.

Seriously....gloves can last a while. At my peak, I rode 3-4X/week....12 - 30 mi/ride. Don't crash much though. If you looked at them now, they may look dull, but they're not torn, ripped, dirty, etc. I immediately let them air dry out....I don't EVER throw them in the laundry bin to fester and stink up the rest of my clothes....I don't EVER leave them in the car after the ride cuz they won't dry out. I wash them after each ride, no matter if it's a shorter ride. That's why I have 3 gloves. It can get me through a week of riding w/o having to do laundry every other day.

My gloves don't smell....none of that rotten sponge/stinky towel smell. I think a lot of it has to do with body odor chemistry. No offense to people but some just smell more than others. I'm surprised at how long they have lasted and am always thinking "Get some new gloves...you've used those forever", but then there really is no need other than just wanting to buy new $hit. They are perfectly fine.

That wet stinky smell is really hard to get rid of. That day that you let them soak caused some bacteria to grow....that's where the smell is from. Good luck with the recommendations....

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I'm surprised how quickly everyone goes through gloves. I usually have three pairs that I alternate through depending on the weather (one cold weather pair, to warm weather pair) and I get a minimum or two years out of them. Three is about normal. My summer pairs are 2 and three years old right now, the two year old pair are in great shape.

mtbr member
    Bleach kills bacteria. Use a very mild solution of bleach and water to wash your gloves.

And my current pair of Thor MX gloves are going on five years now. Just this season one of the finger tips finally came apart. I'm down to only two letters left on the right hand. For quite a while it said "HOR MX".

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    I just scrubbed mine with dishsoap. Not sure it will help your stench, but it gets the grease and grime out of mine better than my laundry soap (go figure).

Good as new and pomegranate fresh...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just ordered a new pair of TLD Apex and a pair of Fox Dirtpaws.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Arm & Hammer washing soda. In detergent Isle. Isle 6 I think it is.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I put mine over the grips after a ride, that way an sweat in the will dry, and they stay odour free. If I don't do that they smell like wet laundry that should have been put in the dryer 3 days ago.

singletrack slayer
    Jun 2008
    i throw mine in the wash after a few rides. if its sunny then ill let them dry outside, if not then in the dryer on low. nothing like a fresh pair of gloves...

Members who have read this thread: 0