gloves and other protection

I am now in need of new gloves and shin/ knee pads

any sugestions
    N* = <3 <3]

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    sixsixone.

If you think you can
    my sixsixone gloves were crap! they wore out very quickly. the logo on the top faded and started flaking off, and my fingers were busting out of the ends within 2 months. I had fox gloves before that and they lasted a long time. just ordered some decine we'll see how those hold up. And race face/roach rally fr knee shin guards are the ****!

ready to ride
    whats decine?
    N* = <3 <3]

mtbr member
    Fox Bomber gloves and Fox Launch knees either the full length or shorties, they both rock the kazbaa!

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    Troy Air Gloves are sweet, just enough protection but no no big pad making you loose grip feeling. Troy Lee, 661, Race Face and Fox all make good knee pads, really depends on what you are looking for.
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

ready to ride
    for leg pads i just want somthing to protect my knees in the instance i fall on them but i still want to be able to pedal
    N* = <3 <3]

ready to ride
    im thinking about fox sidewinder
    N* = <3 <3]

mtbr member
    Just make sure you head to your LBS and try things on first. I bought gloves online where the thumbs were a little short and 661 knee/shin guards that constantly slide down. Great deals online that I hated riding with.

Tried on some Fox gloves (can't remember which ones) and they're a perfect fit. Tomorrow I'm going to see if my LBS has the new Fox Launch Pro Knee Pad. Looks like I could ride all day with those and not even notice.

Ibis Mojo HD3 - Santa Cruz 5010 V2

ready to ride
    i live pretty close to jensonUSA but my lbs doesnt cary a wide range of protection gear
    N* = <3 <3]

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Fox gloves for sure, RockGardn knee/shin protection. Like killjoyken said, if you can try some of this stuff on before you buy.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride.

mtbr member
    Dude, head to Jenson. They've got a pretty good selection of Fox and 661. And when you're at the store, make sure to really test it out...start jumping off displays and rolling around on the ground to make sure it stays put. j/k...I'm just jealous you live near Jenson...

Glad to Be Alive
    knee/shin guards.....starts and ends with the rockgarden/raceface

gloves I like the specialized BG gloves that have gel in them
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Roll on Spring Time!
    If you only need knee pads then 661 Kyle Starights are wicked. I have pedaled 15-20km rides no probs and crashed with them plently. Got 3 years from them so far including washing machine action. Dont like 661 gloves, stitching wasnt great and the out palm layer died pretty quick. Fox gloves stretched. Trying Sombrio gloves and they seem tuff. Been riding Kona gloves again this week and they are pretty sweet, wish they were easier to get cause I wood prolly stick with them. 661 elbow pads slip like oil, Fox Launch are better and Troy stick like velcro.

Try before you buy for pads.

Now with More Wood
    If you want really bombproof gloves, then yeah, Fox Bombers are the way to go. I'm on my second pair in 2 years of frequent riding, they've seen lots of crash action, and hold up great. They are properly cut as well, very comfortable on the hand.

For the knee pads I second JP's suggestion - Kyle Straits are really good. Comfy, good protection, wear reasonably well (although I am a little pissed off with 661 regarding the durability of that side mesh - it tends to develop little tears in that material quite quickly as you break them in, however it does not really affect how they perform after that...).

Avoid the new 661 Evos - they seem to fall apart real quick. At least my pair did.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I have actually switched over to Nike baseball gloves. They have just enough padding on the palm and super breatheable. They also have a large velcro closure which I feel most gloves lack. Only $7 bucks at Big Five, so if you kill them they are easy to replace rather than shelling out 30-40. Unfortunately can't upload pics of them from work I haven't tried them out in wet conditions yet.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by ridefreeride
    I am now in need of new gloves and shin/ knee pads

any sugestions
    Race Face/Roach Rally FR for knee/shin and elbow protection.

Lotsa gloves out there. The $10 ones at Home Depot are just as good as biking specific unless you need them to be armored, then DaKine or Fox Bomber or Unabomber are good ones.

May 2008
    661 gloves suck ass. BMW gloves FTW. Fox are cheap and at least last a little while, unlike pos 661.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I had the 661 race knee/shin and I loved them. Then I got a pair of 661 Kyle Straits and I loved them even more. They breathe really well and protect your knees- front and sides.
    Havent rode with these but I tried them on and they felt really good. Their helmets are the Sh*t
    http://kaliprotectives.com/bike/#/product/
    the soft knee guards

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by yukisan
    661 gloves suck ass. BMW gloves FTW. Fox are cheap and at least last a little while, unlike pos 661.
    There are no other gloves worth riding DH in besides the BMW. The guys there are awezome too. If you are a long time customer, they'll take care of you. Big props. Those gloves have saved my ass soooooo many times. Most gloves seemed designed to fall apart so that you have to buy them more often. They always say the thin material on the palm is for "feel". FEEL MY ASS. Why wouldnt I want more material on my all important hands if im falling on rocks and ****?

ready to ride
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Lw+Leg+09.aspx

anyone try these they seem pretty nice
    N* = <3 <3]

Pablo Escobar
    I bought some Fox Bombers today.
    I should have bought them first.

mtbr member
    Body armor and fingerless gloves?

I like Decline for my glove choices.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

Pablo Escobar
    Not the smartest move I know but money is tight and I am just starting out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    There are no other gloves worth riding DH in besides the BMW. The guys there are awezome too. If you are a long time customer, they'll take care of you. Big props. Those gloves have saved my ass soooooo many times. Most gloves seemed designed to fall apart so that you have to buy them more often. They always say the thin material on the palm is for "feel". FEEL MY ASS. Why wouldnt I want more material on my all important hands if im falling on rocks and ****?
    Ahhh, Brooklyn Machine Works. That's what you mean by BMW. I had a pair, but the thumbs were too short for me. Too bad because they were otherwise perfect. Seriously beefy. Made me want to punch things. But I couldn't find a LBS that carried them to try on a larger size.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoyken
    Ahhh, Brooklyn Machine Works. That's what you mean by BMW. I had a pair, but the thumbs were too short for me. Too bad because they were otherwise perfect. Seriously beefy. Made me want to punch things. But I couldn't find a LBS that carried them to try on a larger size.
    How long are your thumbs? I wear an XL, if you bust out a ruler we can compare lengths and I can maybe give you an idea what you need.

Equal opportunity meanie
    if you bust out a ruler we can compare lengths

^
    |
    |

Don't listen to him...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i have THE one shin guards, they cover everything from the ankle to above the knee and they breath great. I wear them all the time for AM riding and they never get hot or sticky and fit amazing.
    for glove try anything at a MX store that fits, I am using some oneil mx gloves with a leather palm and they are super tough, just starting to open up the perforations in the leather after too many falls

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo4429
    i have THE one shin guards, they cover everything from the ankle to above the knee and they breath great. I wear them all the time for AM riding and they never get hot or sticky and fit amazing.
    Eh, i'd stay away from those THE's. The kneecap coverage is miserable. They hard plastic protection cracks at the easiest fall too. Wasn't really impressed with mine.

mtbr member
    How long are your thumbs? I wear an XL, if you bust out a ruler we can compare lengths and I can maybe give you an idea what you need.
    Cool. I really wanted to get another pair for DH. Where should I measure my thumb from? If I stretch my thumb out and measure from the tip of my thumb to the outside of my palm, I get just over 6 3/4".

I had a size M, which is what I wear for every other brand. I was worried that a large would feel too loose.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I would go with Sombrio for the Gloves... best I have ever had!

Members who have read this thread: 0