Gloves- full finger or half-finger?- Mtbr.com

Jul 2004

Gloves- full finger or half-finger?

I am currently using a a pair of Shimano half finger gloves and I have a little numbness in my left hand especially after a ride.

I have varied my positions such as not squeezing the handle bar too hard and relaxing my posture but i still feel the numbness.

I did not post in the same numbness problem that some other have posted in a different thread as I feel that my problem is caused by the gloves. Should I be using full finger or is it something else?

and BTW, what gloves are recommended?

Many thanks and 73's.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W6VX
    I am currently using a a pair of Shimano half finger gloves and I have a little numbness in my left hand especially after a ride.

I have varied my positions such as not squeezing the handle bar too hard and relaxing my posture but i still feel the numbness.

I did not post in the same numbness problem that some other have posted in a different thread as I feel that my problem is caused by the gloves. Should I be using full finger or is it something else?

Many thanks and 73's.
    I don't think full fingered gloves will fix your problem.
    Maybe try another pair of gloves, with a different shape and type of padding?
    It could also be caused by alot of toher things, bad grips, weight to far foward, not enough rise on handlebars.....

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    I don't think full fingered gloves will fix your problem.
    Maybe try another pair of gloves, with a different shape and type of padding?
    It could also be caused by alot of toher things, bad grips, weight to far foward, not enough rise on handlebars.....

I agree it is probably other things. Assuming your gloves are not so tight they are cutting blood flow off or anything, it could be something to do with poor hand positioning on the bars, big grips, too much weight bearing down on your arms and hands etc etc.

Trevor!
    Trev!

Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I agree it is probably other things. Assuming your gloves are not so tight they are cutting blood flow off or anything, it could be something to do with poor hand positioning on the bars, big grips, too much weight bearing down on your arms and hands etc etc.

Trevor!
    Thanks for replying mates.

So, how do I do a check and find out if my hand positioning on the bars are wrong or too much weight bearing down on arms and hands?

If you could give more details, I appreciate it.

Cheerio and 73's.

Jun 2004
    I dont think full finger gloves will solver your numbness problem. But to answer the question in a differentway... personally, I dont like to pick dirt, weeds, and stones, from my fingers and gloves when I scrub.

Apr 2004

Many thanks and 73's.
    I have experienced the same numbness. Does your glove have a sort of gel padding? That helps reduce the vibrations transmitted to your hands. I have a pair of nike short fingered with the Gel and I have never experienced the numbness ever again. i used to use fox long fingered without any padding whatsoever.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003

So, how do I do a check and find out if my hand positioning on the bars are wrong or too much weight bearing down on arms and hands?

Cheerio and 73's.
    Your seat may be angled to much inwards. I would try this first as it is free. If this does not help, then I would suggest possibly trying new grips and new gloves(differnet type).
    If this does not help, then you may want to consult a professional(at the LBS?) and ask him what it could be, he will possibly be ble to diagnose it easier as he will be able to see your bike fit and all....

Many thanks and 73's.
    While seemingly going offtopic (but not...), am wondering, what do you do for a living ? Perhaps you're in an industry where there's repetitive motion which may be causing carpal tunnel problems, and you might be attributing it to your ride/gloves ? If no, then I would agree with others as to it probably being a "fit" issue of sorts, as opposed to gloves (barring that they're too tight/constricting....which might be a "fit" issue of another type...hehheh...but I digress...)....perhaps too much or too little handlebar sweep and/or rise ? Lots o' questions...Is this your first bike ? Did this numbness start happening upon getting this bike ? Changed handlebars/positioning? I think the advice to have a knowledgable LBS check out your fit with respect to your complaint is the way to go. Good luck.
    - Fuelish

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I use Mace full fingered gloves for singletrack and (can't remeber name) half-fingered gloves for road and rail trails. Improper gloves can lead to blisters and general discomfort, but numbness sounds like something else (as mentioned above).

Jul 2004
    So many replies.

bike_freak -
    My saddle is inclined downwards only very slightly. There ain't any LBS in this part of the world (Sabah, Malaysia)

synkronized23 -
    My Shimano gloves are gel padded.

fuelish -
    I work in sales and marketing for a living mate. No carpal tunnel syndrome AFAIK. Yeah, my Stumpy is my first bike ever since my schooling days about 25 years ago! Am using riser bars.

I'm inclined towards my riding posture/position or bike geometry as the problem. Will try not to put too much weight on my poor hands and monitor how it goes.

Pity there ain't any professional bike shops that can give sound advise over here!

Jul 2004
    After monitoring my seating posture, I noticed that I was putting too much pressure on my hands.

I now try to relax my arms every few minutes by shrugging them and bend my arms a wee bit to relax and take away the weight of my body.

Problem mainly solved and many thanks to those that posted in this thread and of course thanks to the wonderful internet, where I spend many hours doing research on this subject and found lots of information!

Cheerio and 73's de 9W6VX

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Cheerio and 73's.
    I found that a good way to tell if you're putting too much pressure on your hands is to check the following:

If you assume a normal riding position, can you remove your hands form the handlebars and keep the same body position for at least 10 seconds (obviously, try this in a trainer or with a friend holding the bike)....easily...without back strain? If the answer is no, then you're probably putting too much pressure on your hands and you need a more upright riding position.

btw...I agree with others here that it's not the gloves. With everything else being equal, you'd have a higher chance of numbness with full fingered gloves than with open gloves.

Time is not a road.

Cheerio and 73's.
    It's all about fit...lower your seat, try a riser bar, get a shorter stem or one with more rise, move your seat up on the rails and/or any combo of those things until you've taken the forward weight off your wrists and hands and are resting on your sit bones. Bar ends are an option too, as they will give you a diff hand position to work with.

banned
    Apr 2004

Go full and you will never go back

Many thanks and 73's.
    they don't fray and come apart as easy and they don't bunch up between the fingers.
    Also as with everything tighter is better.