Gloves with actual protection?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Gloves with actual protection?

Searched far and wide, maybe the bike industry just makes gloves in a particular way.
    Looking for a glove with actual protection against breaks/bends. Something with literal plating, hinging, whatever. Most the gloves have minor amounts of plastic over knuckles and protection against abrasion. I want something that is the equivalent of the body armor for my hands. Even lobster style would be fine. An extension of wrist guards kind of thing. I make a living with my fingers, so I'd rather break most everything else before them.
    Maybe I should be looking at Moto gloves or ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It might be easier to try a different sport if your living depends on what you do with your fingers.

The only thing I can think of is a wrist brace.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    It might be easier to try a different sport if your living depends on what you do with your fingers.

The only thing I can think of is a wrist brace.
    Blasphemous!

I love riding too much. Never hurt my fingers yet (I have in other sports though), but I crashed the other day and it tore one of the fingers of my gloves clean off, luckily not the finger with it. Just got me to thinking bout it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Look at something in contruction or maybe some treetopping gloves; something that works with power tools. I would post a link, but i can't since I don't have enough posts, I can't.

mtbr member
    Something like this would be good wrist protection and looks like it will protect the back of the hand as well....
    Allsport Dynamics OH2 Wrist Brace | MTBR Interbike Coverage

Other than that you might take a look at motorcross or motorcycle gloves but in my experience most will restrict movement too much for comfortable bike use. That may just be my taste though so YMMV.

Looking at this from another angle... You are probably using your hands to try and catch yourself in falls? You really shouldn't do this. keep your hands in and roll when you hit. If you are worried about hurting other parts of your body then get a set of body armor so you feel better about rolling and not trying to catch yourself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by DECIM8 View Post
    Looking at this from another angle... You are probably using your hands to try and catch yourself in falls? You really shouldn't do this. keep your hands in and roll when you hit. If you are worried about hurting other parts of your body then get a set of body armor so you feel better about rolling and not trying to catch yourself.

I definitely need to work on tucking and rolling more as an automatic response.