Gloves- Mtbr.com

Thread: Gloves

Mar 2008

Gloves

Didnt know where else to post this. Gloves, full finger, half finger, are they worth it? Discuss

Jul 2009
    I think they are nessicary unless you want ur hands all torn up after a ride.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Probably one of the first things i bought when I started riding, along with a helmet. I got full fingered gloves, because most/all half finger gloves I tried on were a PITA to take off. My reason for getting gloves was because my hands would get sweaty and slip.

mtbr member
    First thing after the helmet purchase. Don't ride without them

Mar 2008
    There were two things I wished I bought pre-first ride. Some decent eyewear, and the gloves. Wasnt sure how worth they were (gloves) since it was a short, quick ride. My next two purchases however! Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I went full finger despite a few friends telling me they would be too hot. But I've worn them on a couple rides in near 90 degree heat with high humidity and had no problems. Also have had a couple falls where they've kept my hands and fingers from getting cut up.

mtbr member
    ive had the same full finger fox gloves for like 3 years, they are getting shitty now, but they work well, and ive fallen on loose gravel and stuff and not scraped my hands up.

Jul 2009
    Check out mechanix gloves, they are great. I use the vent for other sports and they are indestructible too.

Mar 2008
    So pros/cons: Full fingered can get hot but offer more protection, easier to remove, sweaty fingers dont get slippery. Open fingers are a pain to remove, especially after long ride, sweaty fingers still an issue, less protection but cooler and most likely less expensive. Good info so far, thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CapeCodGuy
    Full fingered can get hot...
    I wear full fingered on even the hottest days in the Phoenix area. Never have had a problem with my fingers feeling hot. The protection is worth it. I occasionally brush a cactus or other thorny plant with my hand. Although the spines do sometimes make it through the glove, I'd be a lot worse off without that protection.

mtbr member
    I also vote for full fingers. I really don't ever notice my hands getting hot at all while riding. Even when I take them off it is not like a huge relief. I don't even notice that. I prefer the full protection as well as making sure that my hands don't slip. I also highly recommend getting gloves with the terry thumbs so you can wipe your brow while riding. Fox gloves seem to get really good reviews. I wear Cannondales and I really like them as well. I don't remember there being much if any price difference between the fingered and open fingered gloves.

EDR
    +1 with what KevinB said. I have never understood the 'hot finger' reports of full finger gloves, and I too ride in Phoenix. FF just offer more protection that is needed (to me anyway) in the rocky/thorny desert southwest.

Can you imagine if your buddy said..."I can't ride any longer, my fingers are too hot". haha.

Mar 2008
    Can you imagine if your buddy said..."I can't ride any longer, my fingers are too hot". haha.[/QUOTE]

I think Id leave him behind. So the Pheonix guys say nay to the hot theory, I think Ill take your word for it! It rarely gets over 80 here, even on hot days. I found these:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/156...ger-Gloves.htm

Full finger is lookin like the way to go.

mtbr member
    +2 on the Mechanix, they last forever. I bought a lot or 3 from ebay and i ended up giving one pair to my brother because i have used one pair for a couple of years now and they arent even close to being worn out.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Fingerless, padded gloves are a must. More for comfort from holding the bars then for protection, I don't see the point of full-fingered gloves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Theres 3 things i cant ride without... Good saddle, pedals and gloves..
    It'll protect your hands/fingers from a slip and give u an increase of grip.
    Giant Yukon 09'
    Merida NinetySix
    Marin 09 Quake 7.9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgto
    +2 on the Mechanix, they last forever. I bought a lot or 3 from ebay and i ended up giving one pair to my brother because i have used one pair for a couple of years now and they arent even close to being worn out.
    Indeed... well provided you don't fall on them. My pair has holes in both gloves from various wrecks but far better than no gloves at all. I need something a little more durable...

As far as full or half gloves... get the full for protection and more consistent grip (especially when wet).

mtbr member
    Oakley Factory Pilots.

I LOVE THEM !
    Scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. ~ Nikola Tesla

Thread Killer
    i gotta get some new gloves...my fox dirtpaws don't like my ESI grips

anywho, i'll chalk another vote up for full-fingers...but i'll add that you should try on many different pairs to get one that fits all your fingers properly...i had a pair once that were too short in the thumbs, boy that felt weird.
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    These were recommended to me by a few people and its just another option.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/190...nger-Glove.htm
    Just when you thought it was safe... Voldemort has to come along and screw sh!t all up!!!

mtbr member
    Full finger, even in the hot Texas sun. There is only one issue I have with full finger,
    it makes it hard to use the buttons on an iPod.
    Nobody cares...........

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    Honestly, I've never used gloves while biking and I've been riding my whole life and I'm 32. People keep telling me that I should, however, I've simply never felt the need for them. Yeah, I've scraped my hands up a couple times, but nothing debilitating.

One of these days I'll get around to buying a pair. But so far, it just hasn't seemed necessary. (But then again, this was my first year on a full-suspension bike -- another thing I never thought I needed until I tried it...now there's no way I'd ride anything else on the trail.)

mtbr member
    I'd try both, were I you. Most people will tell you that you should use the full fingered gloves, but it's basically going to come down to preference. I have both, but rarely ever wear my full fingered because I cannot stand to not have direct contact with my brake levers and shifters. It just feels more natural to wear the halfsies. Plus, I can honestly say that I have more trouble pulling off the full fingered ones, and the halfsies have never failed to protect my hands in a fall...maybe I'm just a freak of nature though. Anyway, gloves, just like most things in this sport are highly subjective and very very much a personal thing. Try both.

Oh yeah, and the dark finger tip, white rest of hand tan line rocks, too!
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

responsible zombie owner
    I usually wear half-fingered gloves for my desert rides because I do find them more comfortable. I have three pairs and rotate them between washes! In winter I use the full-fingers.

My favourite are the Specialized BG Sports because they have the best gel padding for my hands = less numbness. Adidas Adistars last forever (real leather) and look bada$$ but the padding on the heel of the palm is quite stiff. Nike and Trek gloves are fine, with slim padding that is comfortable rather than offering great protection (opposite of the Adidas).

The Axo Kicker is an excellent (and cheap!) glove if you ride in a hot climate but even so I prefer the half-fingers in summer. If I were riding technical trails i would definitely go full-fingered though, just for the protection they offer.

mtbr member
    First ride was sans gloves and I got two nice blisters in the webbing of my thumbs.

Purchased some cheap Bash half-finger gel gloves two years ago and they've been great but are getting worn out.

Started wearing 661 Raji gloves for full-protection, grip, but vented on backs of my hands. Happy with them so far and less slip on the brakes from sweat/sand than I had with the half-finger.

My $.02 worth = for most, like me, they're a necessity for comfort....

LCI #1853
    Helmet, gloves, and glasses are the basic protective gear that you should wear on every ride... these are your last line of protection for those unexpected moments when you discover that your bike handling and/or control skills aren't quite what you thought they were ;-)

Many wear gloves for comfort, that is, to reduce vibration passed up through your handlebars, but the real reason to wear them is that every cyclist falls... and when you do, the natural instinct is to put your hands out to catch yourself. When that happens, be it pavement, gravel, or gnarly trail surface, it has a tendency to peel the hide off your palms. Gloves help prevent that, so that you can still use your hands after you get back up...
    Ride a mountain bike... you will not regret it if you live.
    (with apologies to Mark Twain & The Taming of the Bicycle)

Probably drunk right now

Let's be clear...

So pros/cons: Full fingered can get hot but offer more protection, easier to remove, sweaty fingers dont get slippery. Open fingers are a pain to remove, especially after long ride, sweaty fingers still an issue, less protection but cooler and most likely less expensive. Good info so far, thanks guys!
    All we're talking about are a few sq inches of your fingers. "Cooler vs. hotter" isn't really an issue. If you're worried about staying cooler, ride with sleeveless jerseys and short socks.

Gloves, in my opinion are just a tool to allow me to ride safely. I pick up a pair (or multiple pairs) of Mechanix or other industrial work gloves whenever they're on sale AND my current gloves start to stink after washing them.

Mountain bike specific gloves always wear out in places that I tend to lean on while gripping the bike. Specifically, the outside of both my palms and both my braking fingers (index and middle). The work gloves start to stink long before they wear out.

Probably drunk right now

Careful....

Quote Originally Posted by reswob
    Fingerless, padded gloves are a must. More for comfort from holding the bars then for protection, I don't see the point of full-fingered gloves.
    You're letting your personal preference bias information. Fingerless, padded gloves aren't a must. You prefer them but they're not a must. And I don't see the point of gloves with half the finger material removed.

I happen to hate padded gloves of any sort. And railing around tight singletrack and brushing against trees is what convinced me that full fingered gloves were my preference.

EDR
    I happen to hate padded gloves of any sort
    I hate padded gloves as well. The thickness in the palm is annoying.

This whole debate is pointless really. Like baggies, Lycra, or saddles...it's all personal preference.

Biker 4 Life
    I've always used full finger gloves riding moto and sportbikes and the heat has never been an issue at all. While riding MTB I've been using fingerless gloves because its easier to press buttons and such then when I wear my alpinestars mx gloves but I admit that full finger gloves are safer from small cuts and scratches.

Mar 2008
    Hey thanks all! I got way more info than I ever thought I would. Ive got the helmet. Gloves and glasses are next. This weekend before the next ride. Thanks for all your input everyone!

mtbr member
    Didnt know where else to post this. Gloves, full finger, half finger, are they worth it? Discuss
    I had always worn padded shorties, but have recently switched to full fingered gloves. I can see both sides of the fence on this one.

I started out with shorties because of the padding on the palms and figured the short "fingers" would help keep my hands cooler. I never had problems getting them off. They always worked quite well for me except that they tended to not last too long, as the spandex or material on the back of the hand would give up it's stretchiness and they were then baggy.

I'm not sure why I switched to full fingered this year; could be I was tired of hearing about how much better fulls are at protecting hands from run-ins with bushes or gravelly crashes. I have to say that I miss the padded palms as I work to develop calluses instead of blisters. As for heat retention, I can't say I've noticed a difference.

So to sum it up, as it's been said numerous times already; it's all a matter of preference. Will my next pair of gloves be full finger or shorty? I don't know.
    I think one major factor to consider is the terrain you will be riding and perhaps your riding style. If you ride in the desert amoungst the cactus, you might want a little extra hand protection. Or if you're a conservative rider that doesn't take a lot of risks, (ie, not likely to try to see how fast you can corner on loose gravel) you could be just fine in a pair of short fingered gloves.

Whatever you choose, just continue to have a lot of fun on your bike. That's the important thing.
    I love riding my bike!

mtbr member
    I have a small hole in my hand. I crashed my bike riding in town without gloves or even a helmet. You probably don't want to get in the habit of bracing falls with your hands. That would equal broken wrists. Most of the impact from my fall was located on my thiegh amd I am glad it was not my hand.

I'am undergeared for this summer. I only wear gloves when I go on single track. My gloves are burton glove liners with the fingers cut off. It's ghetto, but it's working somewhat. Last summer I had nice padded fox gloves with no fingers. They got ganked cause I was stupid and left them outside a bar by my bike.

local trails rider
    Full finger for protection. Sooner or later you are going to fall (or crash), and your hands will hit whatever is on the ground. Hopefully you learn to do it without breaking your wrists.

I don't like padding in gloves: somehow it seems to get in the way of gripping the bar.

mtbr member
    Had not worn gloves until reading this post. Decided to try a pair out... went to LBS and tried many biking gloves and really didn't like any of them. Went to Home Depot and bought a pair of working gloves (FIRM GRIP) for $9. Simple and effective.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I don't wear gloves. I do when it is cold, but I usually throw on my inexpensive pair of Franklin baseball batting gloves. When it is warm, I just ride with naked hands.

mtbr member
    my hands sweat. a lot. this not only reduces my grip on the bars but aids in completely destroying rubber grips. I wear fox dirt paws year round, even in 100+ nc heat with equal humidity. they get soaked pretty good while I'm riding but I've never had problems because of the heat, and I never lose confidence in my control because of a lack of grip. I have a friend who only wears pearl izumi fingerless padded gloves and I hate the way they feel while I'm wearing them, much less riding. plus they don't do a thing for him in the winter.

I never go out without my gloves, and there are times where just walking outside without them on felt weird to me.

on the point about mechanix gloves, I used them for a while but completely destroyed a set in a matter of months. I won't be using them again.

Mar 2008
    Well, the wife made the decision for me. For my birthday today she got me some half finger gloves she found at Wally World, made by Bell. Padded with a terry thumb. Whipped around the block in them today, the padding seems alright. Theyll be put to the test on Sunday. Thanks again for all the input. Ill be getting another pair anyways, and you all helped out a lot! Thanks!

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    Walmart? yuck

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well, the wife made the decision for me. For my birthday today she got me some half finger gloves she found at Wally World, made by Bell. Padded with a terry thumb. Whipped around the block in them today, the padding seems alright. Theyll be put to the test on Sunday. Thanks again for all the input. Ill be getting another pair anyways, and you all helped out a lot! Thanks!
    Years ago my wife and kids bought me a $10 pair of dept. store gloves. They may have been Bell's, but I'm not sure. They were comfortable, well-padded, and lasted forever. They're pretty torn up now, but still work as a spare. Years later, with bike gloves on my list again, they got me a $40 pair of Cannondale gloves with fancy logos and everything. They lasted only a couple rides. Fortunately, I was able to get a full refund. I've searched all over the internet for those cheap dept. store gloves. I'd love to have a few more pair. I guess there's no money to be made in inexpensive quality bike gear. It's all about brand names these days. Bummer for us.

BTW, I rode for years w/o gloves, then many years w/ fingerless gloves. I'm now using a cheap pair of AXO unpadded full finger gloves and have no complaints. I'll be sticking with FF's because they can get soaking wet without affecting my grip. Sometimes I forget to pack them and ride w/o gloves. It still works OK, but I miss the gloves.

EDR
    I guess there's no money to be made in inexpensive quality bike gear. It's all about brand names these days
    I agree. However, I only buy Fox Incline gloves now. They are minimalistic in design with zero padding and full fingers. They cost $19 and every pair I buy last at least a year. Name brand? Yes. Expensive? No.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I agree. However, I only buy Fox Incline gloves now. They are minimalistic in design with zero padding and full fingers. They cost $19 and every pair I buy last at least a year. Name brand? Yes. Expensive? No.
    Glad you found something that works for you. I was just making a generalization based on many years of observation and frustration. You're right, it's not an absolute truth. Just a trend, IMO.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    Glad you found something that works for you. I was just making a generalization based on many years of observation and frustration. You're right, it's not an absolute truth. Just a trend, IMO.
    Absolutely! And I was agreeing with your generalization.

I found it rather odd that a major company like Fox actually makes an inexpensive, quality product (in the bike related industry).....or at least purchases said product from a Chinese manufacturer and puts their name on it, haha. Most of their gloves are in the $25 to $40 range. 40 bucks for gloves? Ridiculous, I say.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Check the moto-x department of your local motorcycle shop for deals. I know, I know, support your LBS but I've scored the best gloves for about $15 cheaper shopping at the motorcycle chop than at the LBS (Hmm, maybe the "BS" in "LBS" stands for something else?).

Members who have read this thread: 0