gloves?- Mtbr.com

Thread: gloves?

mtbr member

gloves?

Just curious if anyone as found a pair of well-fitting, durable gloves. I find in trail building, the fingertips wear out long before any other part of the glove. I have easily half a dozen pair of gloves in good shape, except for blown-out fingertips. And yes, I already know the obvious tip of "cut off the fingertips and go fingerless!" But that kinda defeats the idea of wearing gloves in the first place, IMHO. I'm also a bit of snob about glove fit. I don't like the loose, floppy, Seasame Street feel of el cheapo, one size fits all work gloves. I usually wear something like a medium to a small, and don't mind laying out coin for a quality pair of work/riding gloves.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Home Depot has these gloves that seem to last pretty good...they are a synthetic knit glove that has been dipped in a (usually blue) rubber kind of coating. About $5. Good grip; fairly warm and they are not a loose fit. Good for rock work with the grip.

mtbr member
    Good lead! Rock work is the main thing I had in mind anyways.

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by htpride
    Home Depot has these gloves that seem to last pretty good...they are a synthetic knit glove that has been dipped in a (usually blue) rubber kind of coating. About $5. Good grip; fairly warm and they are not a loose fit. Good for rock work with the grip.
    We buy these from a local outdoor store for 1.99-2.99$ a pair... You could try and find a supplier if you're looking to equip an army of trailbuilders... But you'd have to buy something like 3-4 dozens...

They come in different color as well... last time they had some all-black instead of the typical "white" and blue...
    ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

mtbr member
    I've had good luck at the army surplus store.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Hank,

What do you mean rocks? We ain't got no stinking rocks out here.

mtbr member
    No, only boulders, in small, medium, large, humungous, and hoodoo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJay
    We buy these from a local outdoor store for 1.99-2.99$ a pair... You could try and find a supplier if you're looking to equip an army of trailbuilders... But you'd have to buy something like 3-4 dozens...

They come in different color as well... last time they had some all-black instead of the typical "white" and blue...
    Yeah...they are probably cheaper in the US....here in Canuck land it doubles. LOL.

mtbr member
    Wells Lamont all-leather cowhide with the drawstring on the wrist last as long as can be expected for me and they're inexpensive.

I usually duct tape a couple of fingers to extend the life. The dirt-cheap Wells Lamont gloves that are suede or partially cloth don't last much longer than one weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Youngstown Gloves

I have had good luck with Youngstown Gloves. They are very heavily built with kevlar thread and reinforced fingers. They are a bit pricey, however. I use the Anti-Vibe XT model gloves which also help protect my elbows from pick strikes on rock.

mtbr member
    bweide - those are the best looking gloves I've seen yet! Can you buy them locally, or only online?

Who turned out the lights
    I've used quite a variety of gloves for field work over the last +/-15 years (yard/gardening, trailbuilding and surveying/manhole inspections/etc.), including calf-hide gloves, Mechanix Brand and the silicone-dipped cotton gloves. Like Hank, I refuse to wear the cotton "jersey" gloves or the super oversized "railroaders" or whatever the hell those gloves are. I need a glove that actually fits my hands.

By far, my favorites are the silicon-dipped cotton gloves. They average about $3/pair (vs. $15-20 for good calf-hide or Mechanix). They come in multiple sizes, and they are a form-fitting glove, so that you always have good finger fit. The rubberized palm finger gives excellent grip, even when wet. The other types of gloves tend to slip on wood-handled tools. They grip rocks great, and give you just a little cushion while giving good feel/control. They are durable. At the price, you could by 6-8 pairs of them before you were into the cost of the other types of gloves, but I find they last almost as long as a more expensive pair, even thoug I treat them like they are cheap. You can also get them in a fuzzy/fleecy lined version for winter that keep your hands surprisingly warm.

mtbr member
    I use these when I have to do demolition work, I remodel homes for a living. http://www.caimangloves.com/pages/1952

I also use them for riding, so far this year they've saved me from a lot of cactus pain.

Doug

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikenBeer
    I use these when I have to do demolition work, I remodel homes for a living. http://www.caimangloves.com/pages/1952

I also use them for riding, so far this year they've saved me from a lot of cactus pain.

Doug
    Where do you buy them at? Their website does not list stores.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tedsti
    Where do you buy them at? Their website does not list stores.
    I get them at my local lumber yard, but I think you can get them at HD or Lowes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BikenBeer
    I get them at my local lumber yard, but I think you can get them at HD or Lowes.
    They look like nice gloves but they are not carried at either the Lowes or HD here in N. Carolina.

The Mechanix are carried at the Lowes and I like them a lot they have a great fit and I love the velcro wrist to keep dirt and saw dust from getting down into the glove. I have not used them for rock work though which definitely does blow through finger and thumb tips.

NOT Team Sanchez
    GIANT AGREEANCE ON THE SILICONE DIPPED KNIT GLOVES!!!! I too have tried most other gloves and these will actually grip your tools and rocks, etc...........leather gloves are no good!
    I like bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0