Glasses in place of goggles- Mtbr.com
    Nobody

Glasses in place of goggles

What are you guys using for glasses to replace the need for goggles. Looking for glasses with decent coverage when descending in dusty or crowded conditions, but I'm not really liking the goggle option anymore.

I've seen some guys wearing glasses with full coverage and singles lenses for greater protection than a typical small cycling sunglass.

I'm looking for something that I can either purchase with a clear lens, or have the capability to swap to clear.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

since 4/10/2009
    Glasses in place of goggles? I've always worn glasses, and never goggles.

Getting good coverage from glasses requires you to buy glasses based on how well they fit your head/face, so the recommendations you get on a forum aren't going to make any kind of difference. My favorites are Oakleys. I tried on a bunch of different ones until I found some that fit me right. I have also had glasses from Smith and Spy and a few other less expensive brands, but taking the time to make sure the pair I choose fits well has resulted in me finding a pair (the Oakleys) that I've kept for 10yrs now, and have no desire to replace.

Nobody
    So maybe some more information. Ive used goggles when trying to mitigate high dust, like when at a bike park or riding muddy conditions. Where I ride in Santa Cruz mountains on a weekend day, you could be trailing many riders. I never use sunglasses for riding. Ive noticed others on the trail lately that are wearing clear glasses that have similar coverage as a goggle, but much better breathability. Im looking for feedback and ideas of those types of glasses so i can locate and try some on. Just not sure if all my options so I was others riders what they have used.

for instance, 100% make a pair of glasses called Speedtrap. Im asking who else is making glasses like this so I have some more options

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    There are several decent options in lens technology, even for wooded/shaded trails. Oakley's Prizm are well liked. Julbo has some "transitional" lenses called Zebra Light that I can vouch for as being quite nice for increasing contrast. Smith has some too. Tifosi's are pretty well regarded.

The frames and lens shapes are going to be personal preference, of course.

Nat
    mtbr member
    In dusty conditions goggles are WAY more effective than glasses at keeping your vision clear, except if you try to climb with them on and they fog up. Then you can't see squat.

I have Oakley EV Zero Path with a photochromic lens that was my favorite pair until I started using goggles. They have a rimless design so your vision doesn't catch the periphery of the frame. I see they now have a Prizm low light lens shade that you might like.

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product...t=888392333964

mtbr member

I've been looking for a full coverage pair of glasses for a while that worked in the gloomy forest. We get really dusty trails in the summer and muddy trails in the winter. Our riding is pretty dark year round so dark sunglasses don't work.

I've been trying on every pair that came across my path. Sunglass fit is so personal it's hard to make a recommendation online.

A friend had these Oakley Jawbreakers and let me try them. They fit well and the lenses are photochromatic. They are excellent going from deep forest to clear cut. You can buy fully clear and proper dark lenses for bright light as well.

I like the fact I can wear them all ride. They adjust to light conditions well and I don't have to take them off. They don't fog up.

I got them at the end of the summer season so I'll have to wait until next year to see how they handle dust, but they are really full coverage so I expect they'll do well.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

I've been looking for a full coverage pair of glasses for a while that worked in the gloomy forest. We get really dusty trails in the summer and muddy trails in the winter. Our riding is pretty dark year round so dark sunglasses don't work.

I've been trying on every pair that came across my path. Sunglass fit is so personal it's hard to make a recommendation online.

A friend had these Oakley Jawbreakers and let me try them. They fit well and the lenses are photochromatic. They are excellent going from deep forest to clear cut. You can buy fully clear and proper dark lenses for bright light as well.

I like the fact I can wear them all ride. They adjust to light conditions well and I don't have to take them off. They don't fog up.

I got them at the end of the summer season so I'll have to wait until next year to see how they handle dust, but they are really full coverage so I expect they'll do well.
    The ones I really like are way old Jawbones. Bit different in shape than yours, but that shape fits me well so I'm not complaining. Mine will fog if I stop riding and it's humid enough, but they've never fogged while riding. They do well enough in dust for me, but extremely dusty conditions aren't really anything I have to deal with often. On the limited occasions I have, they've worked well enough for me.

Biggest problem I have is that since they're discontinued, it's not exactly clear what parts Oakley sells would fit (if any), so when I've needed new rubber bits or new lenses, I just purchase the cheapie Walleva stuff. Oakley customer service won't give me the time of day, so f*ck 'em. The Walleva photochromic lenses I have now work pretty well. for rapidly changing light, which is common on my rides. They go from deep, dark forest to wide open meadows and back again pretty quickly. Lens quality isn't the same as Oakley's, but I gave Oakley a chance.

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

Thanks,
    I'll have to see if I can find a pair to try on. That's is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I have no concerns about fogging up because I'll only wear them on descents. I hate wearing glasses or goggles during climbing. Doesn't matter the conditions as they fog up and just annoy the crap out of me. I only wear goggles on decents and just flip them around for the rest of the ride, but have never felt comfortable with them on. The combination of overheating, fog, and vision impairment is just not for me.

After looking at the jawbreakers, i also just found another Oakley product called Windjacket 2.0 which are actually marketed as a snow ski sunglasses, but have even more coverage. I'm sure I have an Oakley factory store somewhere around me so I'll have to go check some of these out.

thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    The ones I really like are way old Jawbones. Bit different in shape than yours, but that shape fits me well so I'm not complaining. Mine will fog if I stop riding and it's humid enough, but they've never fogged while riding. They do well enough in dust for me, but extremely dusty conditions aren't really anything I have to deal with often. On the limited occasions I have, they've worked well enough for me.

Biggest problem I have is that since they're discontinued, it's not exactly clear what parts Oakley sells would fit (if any), so when I've needed new rubber bits or new lenses, I just purchase the cheapie Walleva stuff. Oakley customer service won't give me the time of day, so f*ck 'em. The Walleva photochromic lenses I have now work pretty well. for rapidly changing light, which is common on my rides. They go from deep, dark forest to wide open meadows and back again pretty quickly. Lens quality isn't the same as Oakley's, but I gave Oakley a chance.
    Oakley re-named the Jawbone because of some trademark infringement. It's now call the Racing Jacket. They have them in stock. IMO they are the best for riding. Several of my buddies have them an love them too. I have the original Jawbone in orange that everyone wants to buy off me and a newer pair of the renamed Racing Jacket in black.

Wiley X makes sunglasses with a built-in gasket for dusty environment. They use to supply our soldiers with them for Desert Storm back in the days to keep the sand out of their eyes.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Another option that falls somewhere in between glasses and DH goggles are these cheapie goggles. They have bigger vents on either side of the lenses and breathe better than full goggles. $8.99 is hard to beat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    I think Nat already covered it, nothing is as effective as goggles. I tear up bad in anything under 62 or so and no glasses I've ever tried match goggles. I can say the pivlock Smith's may be the biggest pair of over engineered garbage man ever created. I don't get the price premium of Oakleys either. Revo's, now those are some nice lenses for the money. I (think) have sensitive eye's and am prone to headaches if the lenses don't agree with me.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Have used Edge safety glasses. One of the best anti-fog coatings I have ever used. Have tested Uvex and others for winter riding. Many different lens colors, polarized options and configurations. ANSI and military ballistic MCEPS approved. And don't forget to notice the cost!!!

They also have goggles but I have not tried them.

I have the Zorge G2 and Khor G2
    https://edgeeyewear.com/site_us/index.php
    https://edgeeyewear.com/site_us/glasses.php?show=zorge

urmb
    How inappropriate to call this planet "Earth," when it is clearly "Ocean.
    ― Arthur C. Clarke

turtles make me hot
    I wear Wiley X Bricks. They come with a foam cavity seal that effectively turns them into goggles if you need. I never have. They're good glasses.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    What are you guys using for glasses to replace the need for goggles. Looking for glasses with decent coverage when descending in dusty or crowded conditions, but I'm not really liking the goggle option anymore.

I've seen some guys wearing glasses with full coverage and singles lenses for greater protection than a typical small cycling sunglass.

I'm looking for something that I can either purchase with a clear lens, or have the capability to swap to clear.
    Oakleys also got a convertable eyeglass that goes from standard full coverage to semi goggle with a gasket to full goggle using M Frame lens. You need to be able to get ther SI stuff though, Standard Issue, made for military, or law enforcement.