Giro XEN Helmet- Mtbr.com

Thread: Giro XEN Helmet

mtbr member
    May 2008

Giro XEN Helmet

I got my helmet in the other day, finally took some pictures of it and wrote up a review ( http://tripxamerica.com/?p=60 )

Overall its a sick helmet, but kinda pricey at $130. My friends Fox Flux comes in on tuesday so im gonna compare the two and see, as his was only $99.

Anyone use the Flux or Xen? I really like how the Xen is super light, and covers more like a BMX / Skate helmet.
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

Hifi => Ex 9. Thank you warranty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I use a Xen for mountain biking and a Giro Atmos for road riding. I like how the Xen covers more of the back of my head (extends further down toward the neck) and I like the visor, although the visor is kind of loose and flops around a bit. I also like the fit, which is reasonably tight.

BTW- Xens are available on eBay & other online sources for a bunch less than $130.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yea, but retail was $130, and $130 is what i paid from the LBS, so thats what i used in my review. Ive seen them for $99 shortly after ha, oh well. Im happy with it, but ill do a review of the Flux when it comes on tuesday and see which id prefer.
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

Never worng!
    Nice review.

Qbike.com is your friend.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    nice site! thanks ill check it out from now on!
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

I live to bike
    The Xen is a nice helmet. I used one for a couple years. The fit is great and provides nice air flow and protection. I've moved away from it, though, in favor of Bell helmets -- I have a couple Xrays I really like. The fit is just about as comfortable, and I really prefer the knob adjustment over the roc-loc on the Xen. Once set, the roc-loc is fine, but it's not as quick and easy to adjust as the knob, and I'm constantly going back and forth between wearing a bandana or not depending on the day's weather.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    jwiffle - i can see that, some of the lower end models of the Giro line have the knob. my snowboard helmet has the knob and i am a big fan.I wonder what thefox racing flux has for adjustments.
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

Riding a Rig.
    I was torn between the Xen and the Fox Flux. The Fox ended up fitting my head better. Both are nice helmets though.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Vulcan - nice, im excited to see what the flux looks like, i dunno if im too fond of the dual spoiler look though....
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

Riding a Rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpinD
    Vulcan - nice, im excited to see what the flux looks like, i dunno if im too fond of the dual spoiler look though....
    I don't think it looks bad when your wearing it. The one funky thing about it is the way the straps attach in the front. They kind of stick out on the sides more than on helmets I've used previously... Just took some getting used to.

I've seriously never had a helmet that fit my head better, though. I put it on at the LBS and knew that this was the helmet I had to get. It felt secure yet still very comfortable before I even took the time to make any adjustments.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member
    May 2008
    nice, yea overall bike helmets just look dorky. but i guess theres nothing we can do about that ....
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

mtbr member
    Try THE F14... at crc they`ve got a great price.

I`ve got a XEN. bought sales -40% (was 150 bought for 89). Great helmet! LOVE IT!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Zen Trail

Now you have to try the Zen Trail, west of St. George, UT. Very tough, technical climb and descent. Much more technical than Gooseberry but for MY skill level, not as much fun. If you can do a nose wheelie and turn, you'll find heaven. Not in summer.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    May 2008
    abe - front wheelie and turn? Uhm... i cant even do a regular wheelie for more than 3 pedals and go straight.

Well as im only to review products I purchase Ill have to wait till one member of our crew gets a new helmet or something. The Fox Flux came in today so my friend will bring it by tomorrow.
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Well you get what you pay for. In my opinion Giro has always made a better quality "bike" helmet than Bell. Although Bell makes some sweet motorcycle helmets they seem to lack in the quality department with bike helmets.

mtbr member
    The Xen is definitely a great helmet. I've had mine for 2 yrs now and when it needs replacing I'll be buying the same helmet. I bought mine when it was on closeout. I bought the previous year model somewhere online (can't remember where though) and got it for around 85 shipped.
    07 Specialized Epic Expert

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I went Giro cause I think im only alive because of my Giro Helmet after falling out of the trees onto a catwalk.... sure scared the **** out of all the new skiers and snowboards who probably though i was bigfoot coming to get them!
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I was super excited when I saw the Nashbar magazine advertising 2007 Xen helmets for $49.00. Unfortunately when I went to buy one they only had some "weird pink design" color in medium & large. Bummer

Riding a Rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirby258
    I was super excited when I saw the Nashbar magazine advertising 2007 Xen helmets for $49.00. Unfortunately when I went to buy one they only had some "weird pink design" color in medium & large. Bummer
    time for a spray can pant job
    -Dave Weagle

Members who have read this thread: 0