Giro Xen 2009 helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Giro Xen 2009 helmet

Hi
    Has anyone tried one of these helmets? I quickly did at my LBS and it seemed to create a real "mushroom" effect, in the sense that it made my already big empty head look even bigger, although not more empty.

Has anyone had the same feeling with the Xen, or are all, or most, all-mountain helmets like that? Is it a characteristic of this helmet in particular?

Thanks
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

mtbr member
    I really like my Xen, but havent tried a new one... Mine is coming up on replacement time, so ill be looking again soon

EDR
    I love my Xen but helmets are like saddles. Get the one YOU like, not the one I like.

Old man on a bike
    My head is on the largish size so that plus a helmet is just ridiculous, I avoid mirrors....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have an 06 model of the Xen I think its a great helmet! It looks the same for this year aside the colors. I have a freakishly large head and I don't think it gives me that mushroom head look cause of its low profile.

addict

I look like a bobblehead

in any helmet I wear, any large helmet with a low pro would be nice.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I have a couple older Xen's, great helmets. I also have a fox flux, & the Xen fits my head better, the fox has a squarer interior fit, is noticably larger on the outside, & a bit heavier as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have the same issues as you with the Xen, it makes me look like toadstool from super mario bros. Try the Bell Variant, it's a very similar helmet in function and design but the fit is much better for my head and it's under $100! There are some awesome new graphics on it for '09 as well.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by punkassean
    I have the same issues as you with the Xen, it makes me look like toadstool from super mario bros. Try the Bell Variant, it's a very similar helmet in function and design but the fit is much better for my head and it's under $100! There are some awesome new graphics on it for '09 as well.

I'm diggin that camo Variant helmet. My Xen has a hairline crack in the foam and I've been shopping for a new one for months now (paid 70 bucks new for it and REFUSE to pay 100 bucks for a new one, yes cheapo...), I might give it a try. It has an adjustable visor like the Xen, which was not a selling point when I bought it but I have found it to be very usefull as I hate having the visor in my line of sight if I don't need it.

EDIT: a quick search found the variant at Greenfish for $69 with free shipping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I'm diggin that camo Variant helmet. My Xen has a hairline crack in the foam and I've been shopping for a new one for months now (paid 70 bucks new for it and REFUSE to pay 100 bucks for a new one, yes cheapo...), I might give it a try. It has an adjustable visor like the Xen, which was not a selling point when I bought it but I have found it to be very usefull as I hate having the visor in my line of sight if I don't need it.
    If you look really close, you'll notice that the camo pattern is made up of lots of little skulls. It's a sick graphic. I have the pink skull camo variant from '08 and I just got the new white/black stripes one for '09. the new '09 GPS fit system is a huge improvement over the old version, which was already really good.

If you call Giro, they should offer you a crash replacement on your cracked Xen at 30% off retail discount I believe. it's at least worth a call! 1-800-456-2355

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I had a Zen but the size of my head is right in between sizes so my medium is to small looking a large is way to big. I have Since got a Fox Flux and love the sizing and fit. I do think the Giros are much better looking.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by punkassean

If you call Giro, they should offer you a crash replacement on your cracked Xen at 30% off retail discount I believe. it's at least worth a call! 1-800-456-2355
    thanks for the #? I did email them and they replied back after a month. I asked another question via the same email and they never responded. I'll call. Still, I'm loving the brown and olive camo. Pricepoint has the '08 brown camo for $59.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I love my Xen but helmets are like saddles. Get the one YOU like, not the one I like.
    I ended up buying a medium Xen helmet. The sizing for a medium is max 59cm cirumference. I have 58 so I went with it. All in all I find it comfortable but in the back, just above my neck, my head touches the foam (there is no padding in the back). I haven't gone riding with it yet.

My question is: should it be touching at all? or should the helmet be somewhat "suspended" around the head without actually touching (except for the padding)? does yours touch?

Thanks. I know this topic is somewhat superficial but no one around here has one so I can't compare.

Thanks
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have an 08 Xen, which is just about the same as an 09. I does give that "mushroom" effect but it's the most comfortable helmet I've ever had.

mtbr member
    I know that 'mushroom' head feeling...

Mtnbike2.jpg

Members who have read this thread: 0