Gilsson Antenna on Helmet, How do you mount it?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Gilsson Antenna on Helmet, How do you mount it?

I just recieved my Gilsson antenna and would like some suggestions on how to mount it on my helmet. The Antenna has a 3 ft long cord, so I am assuming the GPS can go in my Camelback.

Thanks,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by kevindef
    I just recieved my Gilsson antenna and would like some suggestions on how to mount it on my helmet. The Antenna has a 3 ft long cord, so I am assuming the GPS can go in my Camelback.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Anyone?

Lightweight Ghost Rider
    Based on the look of the antenna's on Gilsson's homepage I would just glue velcro on the backside of the antenna and to the helmet. Then it's simple to attach and remove.

But is an external antenna really going to help you much? I mean, the GPS units antenna will be located maybe a foot lower and under a thin layer of cloth.

Just curious as to why you want an external antennam that's all. )

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I couldn't come up with a decent way to attach my antenna to my helmet (though velcro might work) so I ended up putting it on the shoulder strap of my Camelback with zip ties.

I've got it placed right at the top of my shoulder so it points perfectly skyward. Also, this lets me take it hiking easily as I prefer not to wear my bike helmet when not on a bike.

To answer Knut's question, an external antenna not only helps, I find it completely necessary. I ride in the Southeast where clear views of the sky are rare. The Gilsson antenna increases accuracy and prevents signal loss.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I use heavy-duty self adhesive Velcro. You could also use the self adhesive on the antenna and a removable Velcro strap through the vents in the helmet.

To answer Knut, The Gilsson antennas are powered and greatly increase the reception of most handheld GPS units, especially if you have the GPS clipped to a chest strap or inside a pack. Also helps under tree cover.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks for the help!!!

I went out today and purchased some heavy duty velcro. I don't like the idea of using the self-adhesive on the outside of the helmet, so I will try to see if I can get something from the inside to work. I had to try an antenna because I knew I was dropping the signal and not getting accurate tracks. If I was doing an out and back, I noticed that one way or the other, the tracks were sometimes jumping around if you know what I mean. I will give this a shot and see what happens. I haven't used the antenna yet.

Thanks,

Kevin

Members who have read this thread: 0