GIGI Needs New Shoes- Mtbr.com
    involuntary dismounter

GIGI Needs New Shoes

i had some probs last weekend with my kenda nevegal UST last weekend...it kept leaking air...i thought it was because i didn't mount it properly after i topped it off with stan's the night before...

...and then today...i noticed that the tire has a chunk missing out of it... ...right in the middle of the bead... ...clearly too large to be sealed with stan's... i would take pics...but my battery is dead on my camera...

so i'm going to either patch it up or run it with a tube, or both, so that i can ride this weekend.

but i'm in the market for new tires...and live too far away from Fo to raid his stash when he's at work...

i don't want anything bigger than a 2.1...i don't go that big...and big tire rolling resistance sucks...

i'm in AZ, on rocks, gravel, and more gravel...overall...a lot of loose gravel and rocks...sharp pointy ones...oh yeah...and there's some loose gravel... these pics really sum up the terrain well. clearly traction is a priority.

i'm liking the UST+stan's setup, and would like to continue running that... oh yeah...and there's currently a kenda bluegroove in the front...that is hopefully ok...but i haven't checked to make sure...

i'm open to suggestions...please advise...
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dHarriet
    .i noticed that the tire has a chunk missing out of it... ...right in the middle of the bead... ...clearly too large to be sealed with stan's..
    Fill in the missing section with Shoe Goo, let it set up for 24 hours, top off your Stan's. Even if a slow leak remains the Stan's might eventually work.

Or buy another Nevegal.

err, 27.5+
    but i'm in the market for new tires...and live too far away from Fo to raid his stash when he's at work...

i don't want anything bigger than a 2.1...i don't go that big...and big tire rolling resistance sucks...
    Fo's stash is hidden under a pile of dirty panties that he has for sniffing purposes, not worth trying to salvage

The Kenda 2.1's have pretty bad rolling resistance even for their size. Check out Schwalbe, Maxxis (they run small 2.3=2.1), Hutchinson, and specialized (rollx and fasttrax). Lots of good tires out there for the light ust rider. The hard tire to find is a 2.3-2.5 ust that can handle abusive riding and still come in under 1000g (let me know if you got anything on that side of the fence )

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    My vote would be Maxxis Ignitor's in 2.35, but since you don't like clown shoes, you could try their Larsen UST or how bout a Crossmark?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development

Time flies...
    Kenda Small Block 8's in 2.35. You won't understand until you try them....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...every day sends future to past...

what...?
    nobby nics in 2.1

if you need a bit more cush, try the 2.25's - they are like a 2.1 sizewise
    Without love in a dream it will never come true

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Check out what Stan's did to my Racing Ralph. It was an honest 'I was just riding along' situation. I'd be careful with that stuff.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    ...I'd be careful with that stuff.
    I was thinking that too. I know that quite a few people use it (with Kendas), but I've read about/seen some "negative outcomes". Plus, Kenda says it's a no-no.

Roy
    mtbr member
    If you don't want anything bigger than a 2.1, Kenda has some great Clearance deals. Go here: http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/weeklyspecials.htm

Should work well on your student budget.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    If you don't want anything bigger than a 2.1, Kenda has some great Clearance deals. Go here: http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/weeklyspecials.htm

Should work well on your student budget.
    Good point Roy. They've got the tubeless kinetics in 2.1 for $15. Pretty good deal especially on a student budget. These offers change week to week.

I've purchased 3 pair of the 2.6 kinetics with stick-e rubber from Kenda in the past and Jubilee just bought me another 2 pair ($20 a pair) last week when he placed an order. Pretty hard deal to beat and they're about 950 grams which is perfect for my "AM' rig. I've used them for the shore on several occasions and they did great. I tried using them at Whistler last summer on the DH bike and had 3 flats in ~3 hours and ended up putting my DH tires back on that day.....just too thin of sidewalls for ramming into rocks at 30+mph.

EBX

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    I've purchased 3 pair of the 2.6 kinetics with stick-e rubber from Kenda in the past and Jubilee just bought me another 2 pair ($20 a pair) last week when he placed an order. Pretty hard deal to beat and they're about 950 grams which is perfect for my "AM' rig. I've used them for the shore on several occasions and they did great. I tried using them at Whistler last summer on the DH bike and had 3 flats in ~3 hours and ended up putting my DH tires back on that day.....just too thin of sidewalls for ramming into rocks at 30+mph.
    Those are the ones. I bought a set last year for my trip to Whistler and loved them. I did have to run 45 PSI on the mountain so as to not pinch flat (and I still flatted once) though. I got another set after Xmas. Those are great AM tires and roll pretty well for a 2.6.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Good point Roy. They've got the tubeless kinetics in 2.1 for $15. Pretty good deal especially on a student budget. These offers change week to week.

EBX
    I'm not sure the Kinetics are a good choice for dry/loose terrain, I tried the 2.2 version and didn't like it on my terrain which is both dry/loose and hardpack dirt depending on the ride. I've had good luck with the Fire XC UST's in the past, good tire for all around cond's and available cheap. The Maxxis HR and Adv are popular rear tires here, we have a lot of loose "scree" which is similiar to gravel, I think they are available in 2.1 UST versions.

I've run 3 or 4 Kendas and many other UST tires w/Stans without issue, mount em and ride them till the tread is gone, can't beat the setup if you live in a flat prone area and run XCish tires, I don't run UST on my RFX cause the bigger tires holdup better to the goatheads.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I'm not sure the Kinetics are a good choice for dry/loose terrain, I tried the 2.2 version and didn't like it on my terrain which is both dry/loose and hardpack dirt depending on the ride. I've had good luck with the Fire XC UST's in the past, good tire for all around cond's and available cheap. The Maxxis HR and Adv are popular rear tires here, we have a lot of loose "scree" which is similiar to gravel, I think they are available in 2.1 UST versions.

I've run 3 or 4 Kendas and many other UST tires w/Stans without issue, mount em and ride them till the tread is gone, can't beat the setup if you live in a flat prone area and run XCish tires, I don't run UST on my RFX cause the bigger tires holdup better to the goatheads.
    Good points RR. I forgot DHarriet is in AZ.

For the wet and loamy or sticking to granite or cedar, the kinetics do great. FM and I did one of the wettest rides ever last spring on the Mt. Fromme (downpour start to finish) and I was amazed at how well they stuck to everything on the steeps and pretty much sold me on them. I'm not sure how they'd do on the really dry and loose though since we only get 1 month of that a year (august usually). When it's been really muddy this winter, they've clogged up a bit too so I wouldn't say they're outstanding mud tires (knobs are spaced a bit too close) but we've had some seriously wet months this year. For $10 per tire, they're a no brainer for our climate though.

Another deal option for DH that might work in loose conditions. My wife has the IRC trailbear 2.5's on her Liquid and those are pretty nice and only 750grams. I tried them on my bike for a bit and they did fine and she rode them in the Alps in lots of loose stuff and she really liked them. Basically, it's a higher volume version of the mythos and they come in 2.25 as well.....plus they can be had for cheap.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/126...lbear-Tire.htm

Cheers,
    EB

mr. wonderful

2.6 kenetics rock (no pun intended) in arizona. i just picked up a baker's dozen @ $5 ea. and i have run non UST kendas (kenetics, BGs, and Nevs) with my home made sealant for two or three years without a single failure.

dH-
    two thoughts on your problem
    1. patch, don't tube
    2. rethink (reconsider rather) your position on tire selection based on rolling resistance, especially here in arizona. i have found that larger tires offer a smoother and more compliant ride which allows me to ride faster through our rocky terrain. i do think that larger volume tires, run at lower pressures, roll faster through rough terrain then smaller tires run at higher pressures.

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    Fill in the missing section with Shoe Goo, let it set up for 24 hours, top off your Stan's.
    thanks! i will give shoe goo a whirl this weekend...if i figure out where to buy it, that is!
    Quote Originally Posted by dscot420
    Fo's stash is hidden under a pile of dirty panties that he has for sniffing purposes, not worth trying to salvage

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    Kenda Small Block 8's in 2.35. You won't understand until you try them....
    must.know.why.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr
    nobby nics in 2.1
    if you need a bit more cush, try the 2.25's - they are like a 2.1 sizewise
    i was thinking nobby nics...although they're really pricey and i'm poor ...good to know that they run small...i was thinking 2.1...but now i'm thinking 2.25...
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Check out what Stan's did to my Racing Ralph. I'd be careful with that stuff.
    there's no riding in AZ without Stan's! there are just too many sharp pointy things out there... i don't think i'd make it to the trailhead from the parking lot without getting a flat! i know all about the kenda+stan's woes out there (i have read several threads about it on the wheels & tires forum...but i'd rather take that chance than have to carry gigi out on my back with two flat tires!
    I've had good luck with the Fire XC UST's in the past, good tire for all around cond's and available cheap. The Maxxis HR and Adv are popular rear tires here, we have a lot of loose "scree" which is similiar to gravel, I think they are available in 2.1 UST versions.
    yeah...the FireXCs are on the short list...cheap, and people really like them out here. didn't consider maxxis...don't know much about them...yet...
    Another deal option for DH that might work in loose conditions. My wife has the IRC trailbear 2.5's on her Liquid and those are pretty nice and only 750grams. I tried them on my bike for a bit and they did fine and she rode them in the Alps in lots of loose stuff and she really liked them. Basically, it's a higher volume version of the mythos and they come in 2.25 as well.....plus they can be had for cheap.
    i forgot about the trailbears...i don't know about the 2.5s...but someone else recommended these to me a long time ago...and the list grows on...
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    2.6 kenetics rock (no pun intended) in arizona. i just picked up a baker's dozen @ $5 ea.
    2.6 just seems way too much tire ...will that even fit on gigi??? i'm thinking no...
    1. patch, don't tube
    aye aye, captain!
    2. rethink (reconsider rather) your position on tire selection based on rolling resistance, especially here in arizona. i have found that larger tires offer a smoother and more compliant ride which allows me to ride faster through our rocky terrain. i do think that larger volume tires, run at lower pressures, roll faster through rough terrain then smaller tires run at higher pressures.
    i once did a bike swap half way downd a 1hr gravelly rocky but not too techy downhill (which by the way was really fun...fastest i'd ever gone on my mtb) with a buddy...i had geax blades on standard cheapo rims (ah the pre-gigi days...), and he had wtb mutanoraptors (i think 2.25 range...and they tend to run big) on sun rhyno lites...and halfway down we swapped bikes for a while...just to see the diff...and although i liked the stability of the larger tire...those suckers were so big/wide that they made the DH feel really sluggish! that may be an ok trade-off on downhills, but it would SUCK on really steep uphill sections!

ok...i'm off to do some more homework and decide on a short list...i'll keep ya posted! thanks boys!!!

Team Blindspot
    2.6 seems pretty big for the flux. I believe Dirtbag rides an RFX.

You could try some Big Betty's (if you could find them) or Maxxis Adv 2.4. I'm running them on my spot now and like them. Nobby Nic's are good as well, but they are more like a 2.1 (labeled 2.25)

Agree with Dirtbag though, larger tires with lower volume definately roll easier the smaller volume tires.

Good Luck. Be Brave
    Last edited by S-Works; 02-08-2007 at 04:52 PM.
    Astigmatic Visionary

rr
    I don't do PC
    I need to try one on the front of my RFX, I didn't like the 2.2 UST Kinetics I ran on the XC bike though, bigger ones more knobby maybe?

mr. wonderful
    2.6 just seems way too much tire ...will that even fit on gigi??? i'm thinking no...

aye aye, captain!
    atta girl i patch mine on the rim without pouring out my goop. it's an art form. not always pretty, but definitely an art form

i'm not suggesting 2.6 kinetics for you little rig. i do think they would fit though as they fit on a spot. there are a lot of options between your 2.1s and 2.6s. i run 2.4 (or are they 2.35)nobby nics on my SS and like them with a few caveats. 1. too expensive and 2. a little delicate for my taste (understanding that comes with the light weight), and 3. hard as hell to seat up tubeless (although not nearly f-ing impossible like the big bettys).

keep this in mind. weight, not rolling resistance is the issue up hill. the nobby nics are a nice volume tire but are light weight.

another option is a the 2.55 WTB weirwolf lt race. a friend swears by these and they don't seem to slow him down one bit. he also goes tubeless on non-ust.

here's what i would do if i were you, on the cheap too. patch you neve like a good girl. buy yourself a 2.35 blue groove (non-ust) for the front and mount it up tubeless with a little goop. it might feel a little heavier than what you accustomed to, but once you ride it for a little while, then try something smaller you will wonder how you ever rode on little tires.

jrm
    mtbr member

I ran

the 2.35 BG up front with a variation of; neve 2.1 & 2,3 (DTCs), barros 2,25, karma 2.2 and the best being a 2.0 spec adrenaline in back. all on tubes..

mtbr member
    If you're worried about a Stans/Kenda reaction just make your own tire goop. I go to hobby lobby and get a jar of the liquid latex then thin it with water till it's a consistency I like. Sometimes I put some Slime in the mix also. I've been using this mix with Kendas for a couple years and never had an issue. I think it's cheaper than Stans too.

Harry,
    Another option to consider, what about a bigger tire up front (2.35-2.25) for a little extra cush and one of your 2.1's out back.
    I'll 2nd or 3rd the Trailbears if you are looking for a cheap tire, for the price they are a good mix of traction with not to bad rolling resistance. I can throw up a pic or two on Monday to give you an idea for size if you are interested.

Cheers
    Chris

Fragilie
    i had some probs last weekend with my kenda nevegal UST last weekend...it kept leaking air...i thought it was because i didn't mount it properly after i topped it off with stan's the night before...

...and then today...i noticed that the tire has a chunk missing out of it... ...right in the middle of the bead... ...clearly too large to be sealed with stan's... i would take pics...but my battery is dead on my camera...

so i'm going to either patch it up or run it with a tube, or both, so that i can ride this weekend.

i'm in AZ, on rocks, gravel, and more gravel...overall...a lot of loose gravel and rocks...sharp pointy ones...oh yeah...and there's some loose gravel... these pics really sum up the terrain well. clearly traction is a priority.

i'm liking the UST+stan's setup, and would like to continue running that... oh yeah...and there's currently a kenda bluegroove in the front...that is hopefully ok...but i haven't checked to make sure...

I just replaced the Nevegals I had on my Flux with the Specialized 07 version Resolution 2.3 2bliss and think they're sweet. The Nevegals are to weak imo. This tire has low rolling resistance and hooks up great in the corners. Don't be scared and put some 2.3's on that bike, you won't regret it.

Brass Nipples!
    My UST tire experience is still pretty limited, but the WTB Weirwolf 2.1 front and Mutano 1.95 rear have performed well for me. I run them at quite a bit lower pressure than I would a tubed tire of the same size and they haven't shed knobs or suffered sidewall cuts. I did have goathead punctures in both front and rear that needed a little Stan's to seal.

Oh, and since this is for dH here are some emoticons:
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

involuntary dismounter
    well...problem solved...thanks to miles e and his super secret tire stash...i got a brand spankin' new set of nobby nic 2.25 UST...it was a very good deal so i get to eat this week ...yay! thanks dude!

i'll let you all know what i think...2.25...wow...and to think that when i came to AZ i was riding 1.95s ...i feel like such a 'big girl'...

thanks for the advice, and bob...the smileys are great!

mtbr member
    thanks dude!
    You bet. A very good deal considering what shipping turned out to be, but don't you worry about that. I'm just glad to be whittling down the 26" tire "stash".
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    You bet. A very good deal considering what shipping turned out to be, but don't you worry about that. I'm just glad to be whittling down the 26" tire "stash".
    aw...dude...you didn't have to ship it via the concord...i would have understood if it took a little longer to get here!
    thanks so much, i really appreciate it!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0