Ghetto tire inserts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Ghetto tire inserts

Just tested using pipe insulation as ghetto / dyi tire inserts. First ride was very impressive. Very low pressure on rocky trail, and no flats. It cost about 3 USD pr wheel, a much more correct price for this kind of product. Has anyone else tried this or similar DYI inserts?Ghetto tire inserts-20181128_190744.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    good stuff man

couple of questions

How did you join the 2 ends together? Zip tie?
    is it solid or hollow

mtbr member
    Not that it matters much, but this is the Apparel and Protection forum, meaning stuff you wear, both clothes and body armor. Wheel/tire protection would best be posted in the the Wheels and Tire forum, where other such topics are discussed.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi. Its hollow and sliced open from the store, im guessing the internal diameter is about 15mm. Its not joined at the ends, just in slight compression. Just get a tube that fills the tire pretty good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Not that it matters much, but this is the Apparel and Protection forum, meaning stuff you wear, both clothes and body armor. Wheel/tire protection would best be posted in the the Wheels and Tire forum, where other such topics are discussed.
    Hi. Yes, made an error in tapatalk. Notified admins to move the thread to the correct forum earlier

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by mykle View Post
    Hi. Its hollow and sliced open from the store, im guessing the internal diameter is about 15mm. Its not joined at the ends, just in slight compression. Just get a tube that fills the tire pretty good.

So you have a tube in the tire, with the foam?

You know that's not the point to tire inserts and therefore this is not a direct comparison to Cushcore, FTD, Airliner, etc, if you indeed have a tube in there.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5CA

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    No standard tube. I was calling the pipe insulation for a tube, which may be inaccurate. But it is a closed cell tube that is sliced open. Heres a photo. Running "tubeless" with this inside.

The added surface requires more sealant though, but I'm guessing that's the case with all inserts. Ghetto tire inserts-86-0018_xxl_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Open up the tire again after a couple rides and check. I've heard reports from others who have tried this DIY route before and the foam either stops rebounding to full size over time and/or is cut in pieces by hard hits. The commercial tire inserts are apparently built of tougher foam than can easily found by DIYers

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by mykle View Post
    No standard tube. I was calling the pipe insulation for a tube, which may be inaccurate. But it is a closed cell tube that is sliced open. Heres a photo. Running "tubeless" with this inside.

The added surface requires more sealant though, but I'm guessing that's the case with all inserts. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86-0018_xxl_1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	1227594

Ah I see, thanks for explaining. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Open up the tire again after a couple rides and check. I've heard reports from others who have tried this DIY route before and the foam either stops rebounding to full size over time and/or is cut in pieces by hard hits. The commercial tire inserts are apparently built of tougher foam than can easily found by DIYers
    Yes, that may be the case. Ive heard that hard hits can cut, but its not likely to hit at the same time twice. Ive also thought about using more dense foam, like the Mammut Bamse Extreme sleeping mat. This foam is more dense and resistant, but more work to cut strips etc. Ghetto tire inserts-32223.jpg

Would still be alot cheaper though, as you can probably make 10 wheels for 30 bucks. Ive got friends who has been using the pipe insulation for a long time, so I know it works ok over time. May not be 100% as good as the specific made alternatives, but its very cheap and probably the easiest thing to set up...
    Last edited by mykle; 12-05-2018 at 04:49 AM.

Trying to be helpful
    Guess it depends on what your needs are. If your just trying to avoid pinch flats the pipe foam could be helpful, in the same way as say Huck Norris, but at a fraction of the cost.

Sadly it won't offer any real help with lateral stability, shock absorption, vibration damping or tire burping, which is were Cushcore, Flat Tire Defender and Vittoria Airliner take top honors.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor