Ghetto tire inserts- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    155

    Ghetto tire inserts

    Just tested using pipe insulation as ghetto / dyi tire inserts. First ride was very impressive. Very low pressure on rocky trail, and no flats. It cost about 3 USD pr wheel, a much more correct price for this kind of product. Has anyone else tried this or similar DYI inserts?Ghetto tire inserts-20181128_190744.jpeg

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    246
    good stuff man

    couple of questions

    How did you join the 2 ends together? Zip tie?
    is it solid or hollow

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,660
    Not that it matters much, but this is the Apparel and Protection forum, meaning stuff you wear, both clothes and body armor. Wheel/tire protection would best be posted in the the Wheels and Tire forum, where other such topics are discussed.
    Do the math.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    155
    Hi. Its hollow and sliced open from the store, im guessing the internal diameter is about 15mm. Its not joined at the ends, just in slight compression. Just get a tube that fills the tire pretty good.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Not that it matters much, but this is the Apparel and Protection forum, meaning stuff you wear, both clothes and body armor. Wheel/tire protection would best be posted in the the Wheels and Tire forum, where other such topics are discussed.
    Hi. Yes, made an error in tapatalk. Notified admins to move the thread to the correct forum earlier

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Trying to be helpful
    Reputation: Guy.Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,535
    Quote Originally Posted by mykle View Post
    Hi. Its hollow and sliced open from the store, im guessing the internal diameter is about 15mm. Its not joined at the ends, just in slight compression. Just get a tube that fills the tire pretty good.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    So you have a tube in the tire, with the foam?

    You know that's not the point to tire inserts and therefore this is not a direct comparison to Cushcore, FTD, Airliner, etc, if you indeed have a tube in there.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5CA

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    155
    No standard tube. I was calling the pipe insulation for a tube, which may be inaccurate. But it is a closed cell tube that is sliced open. Heres a photo. Running "tubeless" with this inside.

    The added surface requires more sealant though, but I'm guessing that's the case with all inserts. Ghetto tire inserts-86-0018_xxl_1.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,035
    Open up the tire again after a couple rides and check. I've heard reports from others who have tried this DIY route before and the foam either stops rebounding to full size over time and/or is cut in pieces by hard hits. The commercial tire inserts are apparently built of tougher foam than can easily found by DIYers

  9. #9
    Trying to be helpful
    Reputation: Guy.Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,535
    Quote Originally Posted by mykle View Post
    No standard tube. I was calling the pipe insulation for a tube, which may be inaccurate. But it is a closed cell tube that is sliced open. Heres a photo. Running "tubeless" with this inside.

    The added surface requires more sealant though, but I'm guessing that's the case with all inserts. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86-0018_xxl_1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	1227594

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Ah I see, thanks for explaining. Good luck.

    Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5CA

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Open up the tire again after a couple rides and check. I've heard reports from others who have tried this DIY route before and the foam either stops rebounding to full size over time and/or is cut in pieces by hard hits. The commercial tire inserts are apparently built of tougher foam than can easily found by DIYers
    Yes, that may be the case. Ive heard that hard hits can cut, but its not likely to hit at the same time twice. Ive also thought about using more dense foam, like the Mammut Bamse Extreme sleeping mat. This foam is more dense and resistant, but more work to cut strips etc. Ghetto tire inserts-32223.jpg

    Would still be alot cheaper though, as you can probably make 10 wheels for 30 bucks. Ive got friends who has been using the pipe insulation for a long time, so I know it works ok over time. May not be 100% as good as the specific made alternatives, but its very cheap and probably the easiest thing to set up...
    Last edited by mykle; 12-05-2018 at 04:49 AM.

  11. #11
    Trying to be helpful
    Reputation: Guy.Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,535
    Guess it depends on what your needs are. If your just trying to avoid pinch flats the pipe foam could be helpful, in the same way as say Huck Norris, but at a fraction of the cost.

    Sadly it won't offer any real help with lateral stability, shock absorption, vibration damping or tire burping, which is were Cushcore, Flat Tire Defender and Vittoria Airliner take top honors.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5CA

Similar Threads

  1. Testing - New Vittoria Air-Liner tubeless tire inserts
    By JCWages in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 07-20-2019, 09:23 AM
  2. Tire inserts for cyclocross?
    By erik$ in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-14-2018, 12:22 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 01:44 AM
  4. Ghetto is as ghetto does...
    By vreihemnotor6 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 08:02 PM
  5. Sole inserts or other inserts?
    By Jesterrider in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 09:10 AM

Members who have read this thread: 8

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.