Geoff Kabush helmet cam in NorCal- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    356

    Geoff Kabush helmet cam in NorCal

    Didn't see this posted anywhere. Geoff Kabush, Max Plaxton, Barry Wicks, and Chris Sneddon took some awesome video from the 2009 Old Caz Grasshopper. Geoff was wearing the helmet cam. It came out really cool.

    Watch here.



    .

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,205
    Wow, awesome vid!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    356
    Forgot to post the link to PART 2. It's a long video in total but a Can't Miss!

    Screw all those old TDF DVD's on the trainer. Give me some sweet MTB!

    And also, Tuesdays or boring.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,388

    maybe there was sarcasm involved

    But I remember being baffled at the replies when this was posted over in this thread. All the way down at the bottom.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...12#post5447112

  5. #5
    Urban Ninja
    Reputation: jeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    But I remember being baffled at the replies when this was posted over in this thread. All the way down at the bottom.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...12#post5447112
    I know these guys are good and all but I rarely find bombing down fireroads and paved roads much fun, and much less fun to watch on a helmet cam for 20 minutes no matter who it is. And I guess they were too afraid to poke holes in their spandex to ride around that fence Although I did like some of the musac, a 5 minute or less version would have been better.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeng
    I know these guys are good and all but I rarely find bombing down fireroads and paved roads much fun, and much less fun to watch on a helmet cam for 20 minutes no matter who it is. And I guess they were too afraid to poke holes in their spandex to ride around that fence Although I did like some of the musac, a 5 minute or less version would have been better.
    You know not of what you speak. The footage doesn't do it justice.

    The Grasshoppers are real rides. Most folks opt for the cross bike for this one, or put skinnies on the mtn bike.

    Go out and do this one next year and you will know how sick they are. Just try to stay w/ the front group for more than 10 minutes. The winner usually finishes in around 2 1/2 hrs. There is a river crossing that can be waist deep, and lots of savage twisty bumpy pavement/dirt. It is no coincindence that a Pro mtn bikes usually wins, and lots of roadies try.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,388

    I understand that.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeng
    I know these guys are good and all but I rarely find bombing down fireroads and paved roads much fun, and much less fun to watch on a helmet cam for 20 minutes no matter who it is. And I guess they were too afraid to poke holes in their spandex to ride around that fence Although I did like some of the musac, a 5 minute or less version would have been better.
    These guys don't have the hucking skillz you got. But all around they are much more talented riders than anyone on this board. These are the elite of the pro crowd we are watching, and mid pack sport riders are wondering why they are using their brakes... I know its not a crazy downhill but they are going down it faster than most here could.

  8. #8
    Urban Ninja
    Reputation: jeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    These guys don't have the hucking skillz you got. But all around they are much more talented riders than anyone on this board.
    No doubt. I don't claim to have any "skillz" or whatever and I'm sure this would be a fun ride. At least it's better than a road ride. It's just not something I would want to watch 20 or so minutes of.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    223
    For those that rode the race (me), the video is good. I can see it being boring though. Especially since the camera really flattens everything out. I used a road bike with 700x28c cyclocross tires and a triple chainring (28/39/52), which was perfect for the 50 mile course that only had 10 miles of good traction dirt. Now if only I could grow a third lung, maybe I coulda been in the top 50!

  10. #10
    Old man on a bike
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,383
    I know how fast those guys are, but it's still a boring video...but I needed the nap anyways.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grrrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,305
    Considering who won the second race of the series (road race), while they were supposed to be home resting an injury, I'd say its a talented bunch.

    http://gianni.cycling.googlepages.co...s_2Chileno.pdf

    but yeah, I lasted about 5 minutes in the video too.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tracer Bullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    124
    Jeeze, call me crazy but I watched both videos the entire way through. The acceleration on that first climb is crazy, Kabush is in a pack like 20 from the front and then 5 seconds later he's in the top 4 passing people like they're standing still. Of course I watched the whole broadcast of the Tour of California (gosh the central valley is flat...). If they could broadcast NORBA races like this I'd probably watch that too (and might actually be interested!).

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
    Jeeze, call me crazy but I watched both videos the entire way through. The acceleration on that first climb is crazy, Kabush is in a pack like 20 from the front and then 5 seconds later he's in the top 4 passing people like they're standing still. Of course I watched the whole broadcast of the Tour of California (gosh the central valley is flat...). If they could broadcast NORBA races like this I'd probably watch that too (and might actually be interested!).

    You're in luck then! That's exactly what we're going to be brining you all this season on Cyclingdirt.org

    Two weeks 'till US pro XCT #1!

  14. #14
    jrm
    jrm is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,254

    Mixed terrain rides

    are cool because you can do from home or with a transit bridge or as a point to point. I think of um as adventures in your own back yard.

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    559
    I got nothing else to do, so I am just kicking back and watching this vid. Thanks for posting.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by goat
    I got nothing else to do, so I am just kicking back and watching this vid. Thanks for posting.
    it's a nice time waster. especially if you watch part 2

  17. #17
    bicycle rider
    Reputation: morganfletcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,718
    I enjoyed the vid, but mostly because I did Grasshopper #1. And I liked the music.

    The ride is awesome. I'd love to do that loop again and take pictures.

    My boring report for it: http://www.hahaha.org/blog/morgan/?p=405

    Morgan

  18. #18
    Lusus Naturae
    Reputation: NoBalance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,873
    Send a note when you cover some of the other stuff, like oh I don't know, Downieville? Thats one race that typically has no satisfying photos or video.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclingdirt
    You're in luck then! That's exactly what we're going to be brining you all this season on Cyclingdirt.org

    Two weeks 'till US pro XCT #1!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    Send a note when you cover some of the other stuff, like oh I don't know, Downieville? Thats one race that typically has no satisfying photos or video.

    Planning on being at Downieville this year. It's tricky to plan with Nationals the next weekend in CO.

    We'll have race coverage from somewhere almost every weekend, so check in. Also, any one can create there own coverage on the site, so if We're not there, hopfully someone else steps up and adds some pictures/ videos/ etc...

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spaak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    41
    Nice report Morgan-
    I thought the video was great! Nice to see the front end of a race for a change- those guys are flying!! I'm waiting for the 2nd half to load to watch it too.

  21. #21
    annadel lives in my blood
    Reputation: lawndale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    434
    photos of the grasshoppers under my set on flikr
    annadel is where its at

    CHECK OUT MY FLICKR http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

  22. #22
    annadel lives in my blood
    Reputation: lawndale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    434
    photos of the grasshoppers under my set on flickr
    annadel is where its at

    CHECK OUT MY FLICKR http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

  23. #23
    menace to myself & others
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363

    I loved this race

    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    I enjoyed the vid, but mostly because I did Grasshopper #1. And I liked the music.

    The ride is awesome. I'd love to do that loop again and take pictures.

    My boring report for it: http://www.hahaha.org/blog/morgan/?p=405

    Morgan
    Mine and Murphy's are here. Twice as long and substantially more self-indulgent than Morgan's!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    I enjoyed the vid, but mostly because I did Grasshopper #1. And I liked the music.

    The ride is awesome. I'd love to do that loop again and take pictures.

    My boring report for it: http://www.hahaha.org/blog/morgan/?p=405

    Morgan
    Nice report! Sounds like something worth checking out next year..

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by lawndale
    photos of the grasshoppers under my set on flickr
    Nice photos! Wish I'd seen them sooner, I'd have posed some to the site along with the video.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NJ-XC-Justin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,068
    Great vid! Not gonna unseat Roam in the collection but great to see some well-made super fast XC action.

  27. #27
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,742
    My bro Kimmel of team Sexual Camel raced this one. Bastard is unemployed so he placed 14th!

    He used a road bike with 28c tires.

    fc

  28. #28
    Let's ride
    Reputation: rensho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,125
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    My bro Kimmel of team Sexual Camel raced this one. Bastard is unemployed so he placed 14th!

    He used a road bike with 28c tires.

    fc

    Just saw that! Dam. Had no idea he was that fast. Can't imagine keeping up with those guys on dirt on roadie tires.

    You see local boy Levi Leipheimer. won #2 race.

  29. #29
    annadel lives in my blood
    Reputation: lawndale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    434
    i was at both of them helping out and taking photos

    first grasshopper
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3253863...7614650782248/

    second grashopper
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3253863...7614873784401/
    annadel is where its at

    CHECK OUT MY FLICKR http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

  30. #30
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,742
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Just saw that! Dam. Had no idea he was that fast. Can't imagine keeping up with those guys on dirt on roadie tires.

    You see local boy Levi Leipheimer. won #2 race.
    My Wednesday pm Skeggs rides are about to experience a new level of smack. Two of the camels are unemployed (Kimmel lost 15 lbs). I'll pick on Ty (dirt_diggler) since he has a broken wrist from his so called skateboarding.

    I rode with Gobike69 last night and he is now strong after a 3 months of no riding. Kevin made us some 11% Imperial Stout.

    Levi... that's my facebook friend!

    fc

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.