fullface helmet question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

fullface helmet question

Stupid question-
    I'm not what you guys would consider a true downhiller but I've been stepping it up lately and riding more technical stuff and more aggressively and I think it's time for some full-face protection. Just a general question about full-face helmets; are they like the xc helmets in that they need to be replaced after a crash; or are some good for multiple impacts? The pro-tec full-face helmets have the sxp liner that's good for multiple impacts,
    anyone have any experience with them? are they the only multiple-impact helmets? any suggestions would be appreciated, keeep in mind i'm looking to spend$100-$130 and can't afford the top-end Troy Lee's. thanks.

Thunder Chunky
    Yeah they need to be replaced after crashes cause just like with all helmets the foam compresses and then its no good. Havent heard of the pro-tec multiple impact helmet...
    Purple Popcorn

ride it like you stole it
    If you're looking for a full face on the cheap I would suggest checking out the Giro Remedy. Pretty decent helmet and look for the '07 and you should find a good deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    in general...ud want to replace a helmet after a crash anyway. better safe than sorry...even if the specs say its multi-crash proof. thats just my opinion though.

giro remedy is a good, affordable helmet. azonic and bell make good ones too. all under $100

jones'in
    Here's another vote for the Remedy. Super comfy on my head, but YMMV.

And as others have said, if you think you're stepping it up enough to warrant a full-face, then you obviously value having an intact head. And if you value your intact head, why not replace your helmet after a good crash? A couple of sub-hundred dollar helmets are a helluva lot cheaper than a single trip to the ER. Think of it as an insurance policy.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

Dec 2007
    remedy is a bucket, buy a troy lee. i bought one, some of the best money i have spent

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew4president
    remedy is a bucket, buy a troy lee. i bought one, some of the best money i have spent

guess u didnt read the guys post. he wants a cheap helmet...because he cant afford a TLD.

he didnt ask "whats the best helmet...meaning...tell me what ever you're riding/using cause its obviously the best"

//not bitter...just threads that become 'its the best cause i use it' annoy me

mtbr member
    Remedy no questions.

SamIAm
    remedys are tyte yo!

i also have a 661 full bravo and its really sweet too, but i just like the remedy better. i think they fit great and its nice having the buckel thing i think too
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm on a way tighter budget than your's and I picked up a Bell Bellistic on Jensonusa for 35 plus shipping. It didn't get great reviews but so far it's been ok. It's not quite the same shape as my head, but the part that runs along the jawline stays below the jawline so that's good.

It's not great looking, not very well vented, and if you can spend 100-130 the remedy is probably your best bet. For your budget you're definitely going to have options if you shop around a bit.

Oh, So Interesting!
    The best one for you is what fits best and you can afford. Try before you buy. For example, theres a huge gap in the sizing of the Remedy between M and L, and my head fits neither size.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yeah I'm in that boat with the Remedy, in between med and large (head circumference is 58.2 cm). thanks for the replies everyone.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Check out the Azonic helmets too and the Bell Bellistics... those are pretty cheap entry level full face helmets...

StraightOuttaCompton
    remedy or fly/azonic/661.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Oh, So Interesting!
    Hmm, mine is 61 cm... large felt too big and a med was way tight. You might fit into a med Remedy. I'd stay away from Spec. Deviants, they're strangely shaped and mine fell apart, very low quality.

Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    Hmm, mine is 61 cm... large felt too big and a med was way tight. You might fit into a med Remedy. I'd stay away from Spec. Deviants, they're strangely shaped and mine fell apart, very low quality.
    Really? I've been looking at the Remedy vs. Deviant for a little now... could you explain more please? I'm genuinely curious, as this will be my first fullface.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by TWilliams42
    If you're looking for a full face on the cheap I would suggest checking out the Giro Remedy. Pretty decent helmet and look for the '07 and you should find a good deal.

yep good advice...always after a bad crash replace your helmet
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Oh, So Interesting!
    ok... everything falls apart, you'll need a couple bottles of superglue to replace all the crap that will fall off the helmet... trim peices, velcro dots, etc... The paint on mine chips easily and keeps chipping off the helmet around the area of the original chip unless you superglue the edges. The chin strap pull tab frayed off making it difficult to remove the helmet. The xc-style fit system does not make a ff helmet fit properly, and breaks easily. The chin guard sticks out too far, which may cause issues with its effectivness, overall its a bulky helmet... Finally, the foam liner seperated from the shell so my LBS sent it back to Specialized.

I like the idea of lots of venting for some of the rides I do, but the rest of the helmet is junk.

EastBaySteez
    If I had to replace my helmet after every crash, I'd be one broke a$$ dude.

Ride it till it breaks or at least you see the foam crack.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i have an 08 deviant with zero issues yet, i ride in really hot weather and with the deviants good venting it was just the ticket, im glad it hasnt started playing up

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    ok... everything falls apart, you'll need a couple bottles of superglue to replace all the crap that will fall off the helmet... trim peices, velcro dots, etc... The paint on mine chips easily and keeps chipping off the helmet around the area of the original chip unless you superglue the edges. The chin strap pull tab frayed off making it difficult to remove the helmet. The xc-style fit system does not make a ff helmet fit properly, and breaks easily. The chin guard sticks out too far, which may cause issues with its effectivness, overall its a bulky helmet... Finally, the foam liner seperated from the shell so my LBS sent it back to Specialized.

I like the idea of lots of venting for some of the rides I do, but the rest of the helmet is junk.
    make sure the "super glue" dosent touch the eps foam. The solvents eat the foam. Find a waterbased adhesive and you will be better off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It really depends on the crash. Big crashes, then yes, it needs to be replaced. Smaller crashes, not so much. And how many of you who are preachign about replacing a helmet after every crash are actually replacign their own helmet after every crash?

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by elistan
    make sure the "super glue" dosent touch the eps foam. The solvents eat the foam. Find a waterbased adhesive and you will be better off.
    Yeah, I sent it back for warranty when the foam seperated from the shell. You're really better off not buying or using this helmet, imo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the fury's a good lid my friends got one, personally i like the full face part away from my face so i really like my specialized deviant but like wise yeah you cant really put a price on saftey stuff because chances are the dr. bills would be higher
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

mtbr member
    specialized deviant. Coming from an xc helmet, you will love it. Tons of air vents and a head feel of an xc helmet (Not one giant pad, but smaller ones that go between vents).

Members who have read this thread: 0