Full hand gloves... in florida???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Full hand gloves... in florida???

Ive been looking into getting some full hand gloves. My first thought was that i must be crazy, Im in florida, my hands will come out all prunny. What gloves do you guys use, any good suggestions? Im tired of goin out for a ride and having my hands slip off whenever i go over anything that doesnt get me to hold on for dear life. I know someone here is goina mention the fingureless gloves, and ive used those a little but the padding just doesnt work for me.
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

Its got what plants crave
    There's little difference between half and full fingered gloves. Just go full finger. A good pair of gloves won't be that much warmer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I use both.

"the padding just doesnt work for me"

I'm not sure what that means. If you want thicker padding go for gel gloves. If the gel is too thick then go for "gel-lite"/thin gel gloves. If you get blisters you may want to review your setup (saddle position or bar position).

After buying my first pair of lightweight full finger gloves I was surprised that they weren't hot! I have a pair of 661 full finger gloves with minimal padding--very comfortable and airy.

However, given our current heatwave I choose half-finger gloves for now.

mtbr member
    take a look at the Specialilzed full finger line. They're pretty nice, with a thin breathable fabric on the top side. I looked at some yesterday at the lbs. As far as your hands slipping, get some new grips, man.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Just pick the Fox color of your choice and be happy.

When I stopped Moto racing, I wore my Fox Moto gloves till they died, then eventually bought servral pair of Fox MTB gloves.

I tried one ride with regular (no finger) gloves, fingers kept slipping off brake levers.

Yeah, in 100 degree heat/100 degree humity, your figures will get kinda pruned, but you wont know that till the rides over.

mtbr member
    Ok, Thanks guys. I stopped by the LBS today and looked at some their stock. They have a nice set for very airy Nike ones(if i remember right). The only thing that stopped me from getting um was wanting to check this thread first lol.

As for the regular gloves, I dont like the way most bubble up when I close my hand, basically I lose all grip at the base of my fingres since the gloves are to thick, I had just been going bare handed ever since I started riding.

Ill check out the 661s and the Foxs, thanks guys.

Its got what plants crave
    I like the Fox gloves as well.

May 2005
    I have some 661 Nytrates, and I really dig them. They offer some good protection but at the same time provide some breathability.

mtbr member
    The fit of gloves is more important to your ride than what kind of front derailleur you have.

The most important thing for me is getting a proper fit on the hand. If it's loose, I feel I don't have good contact with the grips and subsequently feel unstable, grip too hard, and use my shoulders/arm/hand muscles more than necessary. Too tight, and my hands ache. I have half-finger gloves and wrap black hockey/sports tape around my break levers. I feel much more comfortable in half-finger gloves in the summer (not to mention winter, with my stubby paws), and I never slip on the levers.
    Hi!
    Style: Mid-Atlantic roots, rocks, & poison ivy

mtbr member
    Well, I picked up some pretty nice Trek gloves from the LBS after hitting not 1 but 5 trees with my handle bars(needless to say i wasnt having a very good day lol). I havent ridden with um yet but they do offer good breathability with see through mesh on one side and little holes in the fingures. plus they are slip ons

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Go full fingered. Would your rather have pruny fingers or fingers/palms with no skin. Obviously a worst case scenario, but on many occasions i have been happy to have the extra layers of leather on my hands. Its hot as hell everyday in fla, 2 more inches of fabric on your fingers wont kill you. Besides i think they help give you a bit more grip. I am very particular about gloves so i always try them on and walk around the shop for a while, sit on bikes and grip them, wiggle your fingers etc. The last thing you want ot do is cheap out and end up with a seam in a bad place.

mtbr member
    I've gone through several pairs of the Fox gloves below and have also used them quite often when I Jet Ski.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/142...ger-Gloves.htm

Lately, I've been rocking the 661's (1/2 glove), but PP doesn't have them anymore.

These look somewhat promising and TLD makes good stuff (IMO).

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/142...ger-Gloves.htm

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Full Gloves... Yes

I live in AZ where there's tons of loose granite that will shred your fingers so we wear full gloves. I rode Santos last year and thought I could go w/out gloves since the ground wasn't so bad. I found there's so much vegetation that my hands were getting whipped a lot and decided full gloves work for FL too.

Just my $0.02

Tá mé ar meisce.
    I live in FL and I use these
    http://garage.mechanix.com/detail.aspx?ID=2

Got em at the autoparts store.

Members who have read this thread: 0