Full Face XC helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Full Face XC helmet

I have looked high and low on the internet but still looking for something with a little more coverage than the standard mushroom top helmet. I watched my brother go down a week and a half ago and spend 5 days in the hospital putting his face back together. Is there any options other than the MET Parachute and the Casco Viper (both only available in europe) that somewhat bridge the gap between downhill and XC. If any of you have modded a full face for better cooling how does that work and what model helmet. I am a SS rider and love to climb but also like the downhill reward.

Any advise would be great,

Thanks

There's no app for this.

Advice? Sure...

I assume you carry a pack. Take 2 helmets, and use the normal type FF for the descent. Problem solved.

(similarly those riding FR or DH suffer going up carrying all their gear, because on the descent, one dresses for the crash, not the ride. Sort of similar too, to car seat belts...nobody ever needs wear one, until involved in a crash, and then you better be wearing one).

There's no "XC" FF helmet for a reason.

Jim
    Last edited by JimC.; 01-07-2010 at 03:45 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    JimC.

That is the answer I am expecting but with hopes that there is another answer. I do not want the protection just for the steep downhill but all the time cause you never know when you are going to crash.

Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I too have been down this road I ride SS and was thinking I would like some extra protection but would a fullface be overkill I know where you're coming from SSrider. I will probably pull the trigger on a FF just looking for a good deal.

There's no app for this.

other sources...

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/full-fa...-guide-charts/

Expensive but maybe your only choice, bear in mind that Giro Switchblades (XC-FF early 2000s) cost a lot, if not more, than some FF FR helmets.

The Troy Lee D2 carbon is only 937 grams, or 2.07 lbs. An XC one is usually ~ 300 grams or 2/3 of a lb.

Not ideal, but there you have it.

Jim

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    FF XC helmets have had several threads dedicated to them in the past. On the convertible front, there's nothing more out there than the Viper and the Parachute unless you find an ancient Switchblade from somwhere.

The usual recommendation for a well ventilated and light-ish FF is the Deviant.

I've owned both the Deviant and the Viper, and the Deviant is actually the cooler of the two, especially with the cheek pads removed.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    FF XC helmets have had several threads dedicated to them in the past. On the convertible front, there's nothing more out there than the Viper and the Parachute unless you find an ancient Switchblade from somwhere.

The usual recommendation for a well ventilated and light-ish FF is the Deviant.

I've owned both the Deviant and the Viper, and the Deviant is actually the cooler of the two, especially with the cheek pads removed.
    I've got a deviant and like it, but it sucks to climb in. All the vents help the top of my head, but breathing into the chin bar heats up my face and gets uncomfy pretty quickly.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckedrex
    I've got a deviant and like it, but it sucks to climb in. All the vents help the top of my head, but breathing into the chin bar heats up my face and gets uncomfy pretty quickly.

are you leaving the cheek pads in our removing them?

From my cold, dead hands
    I have yet to purchase a mountain bike-specific full face helmet but I do have experience with FF helmets in my motocross days and my experience is that you are going to have that warm air from your breathing going back into your face due to the chin bar and there just really is no way around that, no matter what helmet you get.

mtbr member

Good job! Go Old School

Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedrider
    Is there any options other than the MET Parachute and the Casco Viper (both only available in europe) that somewhat bridge the gap between downhill and XC. If any of you have modded a full face for better cooling how does that work and what model helmet.

Any advise would be great,

Thanks
    YOUR SOLUTION: The old Troy Lee TL COMP = screw on/off removable face guard, excellent head coverage, great protection. A little warm though.Much better protection than the Giro Switchblade.

I still have one from the old downhill days, sorry no pic. Do a search for pics.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am getting all answers I thought I would get. I was just hoping there was something somebody knows about that I did not. Thank you everyone for all your input looks like the best bet is to learn to tuck and roll or get the deviant and pull some of the padding out of it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedrider
    are you leaving the cheek pads in our removing them?
    I haven't tried removing them, never really crossed my mind before. I'll give it a shot the next time I dig it out.

mtbr member
    FYI, the problem is liability.

If there was a XC full-face helmet available in the US, some fool would use it at the local jump/DH park, and then sue when the dentist bill comes in.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I haven't tried removing them, never really crossed my mind before. I'll give it a shot the next time I dig it out.

Sounds like there is quite a few people doing this with good results. I think I am going to go this route but wanted to check with a few different people before I drop all that money on a helmet. I am in So. Cal and it was close to 80 over the weekend in January so I need the cooling but want to protect the face.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    https://images.google.com/imgres?img...a%3DN%26um%3D1

heres a link to an old ad from back in 96... couple pics of the helmet and how it was built...

mtbr member

How about the Deviant II?

Anyone have the 2010 Deviant II and can comment? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Poc

I would check out the 2010 POC Cortex Flow. The faceguard is angled down a little bit so it looks like the breathability it high.

Great pictures and a full review.......

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...RODUCT.ID=5619

mtbr member
    May 2008

Thoughts

what do people think about something like this. I can not see breathing bing an issue still might be a little warm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    that's a nascar pit helmet, the opening is there to fit a 2 way radio. I wouldn't use that, probably still very hot and no mouth/dental protection so then why bother with a ff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Have you checked out the Bell Bellistic?
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj
    that's a nascar pit helmet, the opening is there to fit a 2 way radio. I wouldn't use that, probably still very hot and no mouth/dental protection so then why bother with a ff.
    I do not see this being a good helmet for downhill riding but think it would add more protection for XC. You are right not much mouth or dental but more than we are all wearing now.

Just looking at options.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    No worthwhile compromise really exists. I use my ff for my gnarlier "AM" rides, and just strap it to my pack when climbing if it's hot. Its a pro-tec auger, fairly light and well-vented.

Hawkish on Choads
    Have you looked at FF kayaking helmets?

Members who have read this thread: 0